Using OBS Studio for recording the past twenty or so minutes (Instead of Nvidia Shadowplay's Instant Replay).

Text guide:

Spoiler

Download the installer of OBS Studio from the official website: https://obsproject.com/

Install it, then

Double Click on: "C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe"
Or on the shortcut.

UAC - User Account Control:
Click Yes.

Auto Configuration Wizard:
Click Cancel.

Click Settings at the bottom right corner of the screen.

Click on Video on the left.

Set the Base (Canvas) Resolution to match your display resolution.
In my case it's 1920x1080.

Set Output (Scaled) Resolution to be the same as the Base (Canvas) Resolution.

Set Common FPS Values to be 30 or 60.

I use 30.

Now click on Output on the left.

Set Output Mode from Simple to Advanced.

Click on Recording at the top, below the Output Mode.

Click on Browse (right from Recording Path).

Select your desired location.
I've set mine to: C:\OBSRecordedVideoFiles

Click on Recording Format and set it to mp4.

Don't do this if you'd like to use the "Automatically remux to mp4" option in the advanced settings.

If you'd use the auto remux to mp4 option, then OBS would save whatever is set to be as Recording Format and as mp4 (flv, mkv for example).

Click on Encoder.
Change it to NVIDIA NVENC H.264 (new).

A bit below that, set everything to be as listed here or use your preferred settings:

Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: 10000 Kbps
Keyframe Interval (seconds, 0=auto): 2
Preset: Quality
Profile: High
Look-ahead: No
Psycho Visual Tuning: Yes
GPU: 0
Max B-frames: 2

Click Apply at the bottom right corner of the window.

Click on Replay Buffer at the top, below Output Mode.

Enable it by clicking into the little white rectangle, left of Enable Replay Buffer.

Set Maximum Replay Timer to your preferred amount.

It depends on the available amount of memory you have.

I set mine to be 1200 second = 20 minute - same as the maximum setting in the NVIDIA Instant Replay amount.

You see how much memory is required for the set amount at the Estimated memory usage.

In my case it's 1453 MB.

Click on Hotkeys on the left.

Set a hotkey for Start Replay Buffer.

I've set mine to be Shift + Numpad Plus, displayed as Shift + Num +.

Set a hotkey for Stop Replay Buffer.

I've set mine to be Shift + Numpad Minus, displayed as Shift + Num -.

Now scroll a bit down and set a hotkey for Replay Buffer - Save Replay.

I've set mine to be Shift + Caps Lock.

If you've set your recording format to be something different than mp4, then you can use the autoremux to mp4 option in the advanced settings:

Click on Advanced on the left.

In the Recording section, click in the white rectangle next to Automatically remux to mp4.

Click on OK, to apply and close the settings window.

Right click in the Sources in the bottom left part of the OBS Window.

Move the mouse to Add.

Click on Game Capture, then click Ok.

Click on Mode.

Click on Capture specific window.

Click right of Window.

Click on [ragemp_v.exe]: RAGE Multiplayer.

Click on the Ok button at the bottom right of the Properties for 'Game Capture'.

In the Sources, you should see Game Capture.

Right of that, there is an eye and an opened padlock icon.

Click on the padlock icon.

It will change from a grey opened padlock to be a white closed padlock icon, meaning you cannot accidentally click & drag, or modify it.

You're supposed to see the game in the upper part of the OBS Window.

Always make sure, before you start playing, that you see the game in the preview part of the OBS Window.

To save some resources, you could disable preview.

In the middle of the screen, where you see the game, within OBS, right click on it and click Enable Preview.

Now you'd see a message in the middle of the OBS Window:
Preview is currently disabled.

Below that there is a Enable Preview button.

Now click on Start Replay Buffer or use your preferred hotkey to start the replay buffer.

This will make OBS Studio to save the footage into the memory.

Save the replay by clicking on the down arrow, right next to the Stop Replay Buffer button, or use your preferred hotkey.

Additionally, after saving it, you can stop the replay buffer, then restart it by clicking on it, or using your preferred hotkey.

I encourage everyone to please share tips and tricks, settings, etc.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Image guide:

Spoiler

Nf6YpD5.jpg

Kx1CaRL.jpg

r68XXfx.jpg

CuwJxHA.jpg

CzthjMe.jpeg

BXjArYD.jpg

l80jQfb.jpg

GopDjzz.jpg

4Oisi3Z.jpg

BKiA7l8.jpg

YhOdVL3.jpg

kJ8KR3D.jpg

4lCVhOY.jpg

KTQ4b5s.jpg

QNpIMv4.jpg

How to add a simple filter to game capture to make the recorded video brighter:

How to add a hotkey to capture screenshots:

Edited by Cerulean
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, honey. said:

worth the pain of the one time set up 👍

Thank you.👍🙂

25 minutes ago, Coburn said:

I got around the shadowplay block by starting the game in full screen then pressing alt-enter to go into windowed mode.

Thank you for sharing the information.👍

On 2/20/2022 at 6:31 PM, Vash Baldeus said:

No, it's simpler, force RageMP dev's to whitelist Shadowplay. Turns out EAC blocks Shadowplay if you're in Windowed/Windowed-Borderless, why it is like that is beyond me, EAC does not solve a problem, right now it's causing more problems.

After some troubleshooting, it turns out that the GeForce Experience/Shadowplay recording issue is technically an Nvidia issue. Since the EAC update was deployed, the game launches its own executable (ragemp_v.exe) as opposed to the old method of injecting/hooking into GTA5.exe. Therefore, Instant Replay does not work because Shadowplay does not recognize ragemp_v.exe. If anything, it is Nvidia that has to "whitelist" RageMP.

You can still utilize Instant Replay by manually adding ragemp_v.exe into NVIDIA Control Panel: 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Add. Locate your RageMP directory, select ragemp_v.exe, and hit Save.

2 hours ago, Giga said:

After some troubleshooting, it turns out that the GeForce Experience/Shadowplay recording issue is technically an Nvidia issue. Since the EAC update was deployed, the game launches its own executable (ragemp_v.exe) as opposed to the old method of injecting/hooking into GTA5.exe. Therefore, Instant Replay does not work because Shadowplay does not recognize ragemp_v.exe. If anything, it is Nvidia that has to "whitelist" RageMP.

Thing is, some people reported that Shadowplay recognized RageMP executable if they're in Fullscreen, issue is, if you tab a lot? RageMP will eventually crash on you for excessive tabbing (especially if you have more than 1 monitor), only solution is to keep the game in Windowed / Borderless mode to avoid crashing.

2 hours ago, Giga said:

You can still utilize Instant Replay by manually adding ragemp_v.exe into NVIDIA Control Panel: 3D Settings -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Add. Locate your RageMP directory, select ragemp_v.exe, and hit Save.

On another note, I tried this, Shadowplay does show up, but if you have GTA running you'll have to restart it. This method does not fix the Filters though.

Edited by Vash Baldeus
3 hours ago, Giga said:

Hi!

Thank you for sharing the information.

Sadly that doesn't work for me, hence why I use OBS for now.

Desktop capture in privacy control is turned off for me, as I'd like to record only the game with NVIDIA Shadowplay's Instant Replay.

I've added ragemp_v.exe to program settings of manage 3d settings in nvidia control panel as you've advised.

While in game, bringing up the overlay with alz+z and clicking on record, or on instant replay's save or using the hotkeys for these functions, or trying to take a screenshot does nothing for me.

Outside of the game, on my desktop, if I press alz+z to bring up the menu and click on record, it prompts me to enable desktop capture (which I wouldn't like to do).

I've also restarted NVIDIA LocalSystem Container and NVIDIA Display Container LS In Services (services.msc), multiple times in multiple system reboots.

I've also made sure, that the NVIDIA tasks are running in Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc).

I've also uninstalled the NVIDIA Driver using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), then reinstalled it multiple times.

I've also deleted the NVIDIA folders from C:\ProgramData.

If there is anything else I could try, please let me know.

Thank you.

Edited by Cerulean
15 hours ago, Giga said:

Giga smart as shit. This works.