Does RPQM contradict 'metagaming'?

PerxiListic

3) Metagaming

Providing in-character (IC) information to another player using out-of-character (OOC) means. Providing OOC information to another player using IC means. Using OOC means to find in-character information. Using OOC communication and/or information to influence anything in-character

Roleplay Quality Management otherwise known as RPQM supposedly controls the quality of roleplay of characters on the server. It sounds like it would improve the RP quality, but when I think about it, a question pops up in my head - does RPQM contracdict metagaming?

Of course, in roleplay, everything that happens in-character should stay in-character. It works the same for out-of-character. Therefore anything that happens in-character MUST NOT be influenced or interfered, by the metagaming rules, on an out-of-character level which is contradicted by the existence of RPQM team.

To give a better picture, let me provide an example.

Example: A trucker is rich, owns a Eclipse Tower apartment and 2 sports vehicle. All of which were gained by his very hard work in the span of 3 months.

- This seems to be heavily frowned upon because "a trucker wouldn't realistically own 2 sports car that quick, or they wouldn't have a realistic reason to."

But let me break the points over:

• A trucker is rich - IN CHARACTER
  • The trucker owns an Eclipse Tower and 2 sports vehicle - IN-CHARACTER
  • The trucker works hard to get those assets - IN-CHARACTER

So why does it require OOC management? Everything that happens IC should remain IC. Then you might ask, "It isn't realistic!". Realistic or not, there should not be an OOC micro-management. Instead, there should be an IC measure or a script limitation. For example, the server can increase vehicles price, remove the starter income, and so on. In short, make the economy more realistic? Questions from RPQM to why this or that character would do something should not be a thing. Because the basic principle is, everything that happens IC, remains IC.

Discuss.

I agree with this thread but I think we should take it further.

Why not work to get rid of the entire staff team, they do nothing but contradict the metagaming rules on this server. If I DM your character, realistic or not, I did it in character. There should not be an OOC micromanagement telling me I can't mass DM the server for absolutely no reason at all, there should be an IC measure or a script limitation. Anything that happens in character MUST NOT be influenced or interfered with, by the metagaming rules, on an out-of-character level which is contradicted by the existence of the staff team telling me I can't kill everyone I want. Everything that happens IC, remains IC.

All these admins are metagaming and I'm so sick of it.

• Upvote 8
  • Applaud 2

Even though it does bring up the shit attempt at an economy the server tries to emulate, just because you CAN make the money doesn't mean you should be using it. It's on the player to go hey, is the character I'm playing accurate to the IRL equivalent or am I just playing this as a game at face value, buying stuff because I can and not because I should to portray my character more accurately?

Don't hate the player hate the game type situation I suppose because once again the game allows you to make enough money to buy whatever cars and houses you want and it can feel a little silly to artificially limit what you have in front of you but RP is taking the role of a character in a set-world and unfortunately for some GTAW emulates shitty boring real life. Full time truckers sleep in their truck and get head from lot lizards, they don't live in high-rise apartments with multiple sportscars.

I believe we are here to roleplay, as in play roles that are a somewhat potrayal of the real life people in realistic situations. People come here with an OOC asset mindset, make money, get cars, show off but have no valid IC reason to be doing so other than the player thinking it's cool and "end game" to own the best apartment and most expensive car. But what does this bring to the table? The server has provided players with lots of money SO they are not limited by the mostly OOC asset and gave them the opportunity to roleplay whatever they please without having to grind for that money like a mad man.

Point is we need RPQM because people are shit at potraying realistic characters who have realistic backgrounds for what they do.

Example: A trucker is rich, owns a Eclipse Tower apartment and 2 sports vehicle. All of which were gained by his very hard work in the span of 3 months.

- This seems to be heavily frowned upon because "a trucker wouldn't realistically own 2 sports car that quick, or they wouldn't have a realistic reason to."

But let me break the points over:

• A trucker is rich - IN CHARACTER
  • The trucker owns an Eclipse Tower and 2 sports vehicle - IN-CHARACTER
  • The trucker works hard to get those assets - IN-CHARACTER

A trucker is rich, sure, very realistic. (Not).

The avarage trucker makes money sure, but has absolutely no time. I knew a trucker and he was never home, drove all day and was in bad health due to it (Sitting and driving does take a toll on the body) As far as I know, he did make money more than enough but not enough to buy sports cars and set up a mansion. He had a nice house and money to provide for his family, he owned an avarage car, and was not poor BUT not rich either.

You see my other point? Why roleplay a trucker if you're not going to roleplay the realistic aspects of one. Oh wait I know why, because you did not decide to roleplay a trucker but you decided to grind money trough the trucker script and then decided to call yourself a trucker. Having an OOC mindset and applying to your character on the same basis leads to poor character development this is precicesly why we need RPQM to prevent and regulate this because honestly people don't give a shit about good character development due to the OOC mindset syndrom,

All of which were gained by his very hard work in the span of 3 months.

This made me giggle. So he earned enough money in three months to own an expensive apartment, and two sports vehicles? While in avarage a trucker in america makes like $60,000 a year. Just imagine people around you really trying to portray their character in a realistic manner and then YOU show up with your sports cars and all, as a trucker and start interacting with them, YOU bring down the quality of roleplay in that situation because when you explain ICly that money is no issue, just do a bit of trucking for three months and you're rich because that's how you did it. It makes absolutely no sense, ICly money is an issue, ICly people do struggle and ICly a trucker does not make that much in the span of three months.

It's like applying to roleplay a cop without doing a bit of reasearch as to how one acts and lives in real life. The same applies for everything you roleplay, do a bit of research and provide reaslitic roleplay which is MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE then something that brings nothing to the roleplay collective of this server.

In what right mind would someone want to get rid of the thing that manages quality of roleplay on this server? I guess only someone who can't roleplay and doesn't want to be regulated so he can portray something with an OOC mindset.

No thank you.

3 minutes ago, Rasta said:

I believe we are here to roleplay, as in play roles that are a somewhat potrayal of the real life people in realistic situations. People come here with an OOC asset mindset, make money, get cars, show off but have no valid IC reason to be doing so other than the player thinking it's cool and "end game" to own the best apartment and most expensive car. But what does this bring to the table? The server has provided players with lots of money SO they are not limited by the mostly OOC asset and gave them the opportunity to roleplay whatever they please without having to grind for that money like a mad man.

Point is we need RPQM because people are shit at potraying realistic characters who have realistic backgrounds for what they do.

A trucker is rich, sure, very realistic. (Not).

The avarage trucker makes money sure, but has absolutely no time. I knew a trucker and he was never home, drove all day and was in bad health due to it (Sitting and driving does take a toll on the body) As far as I know, he did make money more than enough but not enough to buy sports cars and set up a mansion. He had a nice house and money to provide for his family, he owned an avarage car, and was not poor BUT not rich either.

You see my other point? Why roleplay a trucker if you're not going to roleplay the realistic aspects of one. Oh wait I know why, because you did not decide to roleplay a trucker but you decided to grind money trough the trucker script and then decided to call yourself a trucker. Having an OOC mindset and applying to your character on the same basis leads to poor character development this is precicesly why we need RPQM to prevent and regulate this because honestly people don't give a shit about good character development due to the OOC mindset syndrom,

This made me giggle. So he earned enough money in three months to own an expensive apartment, and two sports vehicles? While in avarage a trucker in america makes like $60,000 a year. Just imagine people around you really trying to portray their character in a realistic manner and then YOU show up with your sports cars and all, as a trucker and start interacting with them, YOU bring down the quality of roleplay in that situation because when you explain ICly that money is no issue, just do a bit of trucking for three months and you're rich because that's how you did it. It makes absolutely no sense, ICly money is an issue, ICly people do struggle and ICly a trucker does not make that much in the span of three months.

It's like applying to roleplay a cop without doing a bit of reasearch as to how one acts and lives in real life. The same applies for everything you roleplay, do a bit of research and provide reaslitic roleplay which is MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE then something that brings nothing to the roleplay collective of this server.

In what right mind would someone want to get rid of the thing that manages quality of roleplay on this server? I guess only someone who can't roleplay and doesn't want to be regulated so he can portray something with an OOC mindset.

No thank you.

Nice fake account so I'm assuming you partake in this unrealistic character portrayal. Anyway, it just isn't a realistic thing for a trucker to sit and spam /me's for a few hours, rank up on a script, same applies for the countless "jack of all trades" characters, purchase a penthouse in eclipse towers, which cost tens of millions in real life (Sierra towers) and then be able to afford two more sports cars. The point of roleplay is to realistically portray something, whatever the character may be. If you can't do that then go play GTA Online or something. This whole thread is pointless. Matter of fact, RPQM needs to be enforced more on this server as a whole.

Edited by vralf
3 hours ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

I agree with this thread but I think we should take it further.

Why not work to get rid of the entire staff team, they do nothing but contradict the metagaming rules on this server. If I DM your character, realistic or not, I did it in character. There should not be an OOC micromanagement telling me I can't mass DM the server for absolutely no reason at all, there should be an IC measure or a script limitation. Anything that happens in character MUST NOT be influenced or interfered with, by the metagaming rules, on an out-of-character level which is contradicted by the existence of the staff team telling me I can't kill everyone I want. Everything that happens IC, remains IC.

All these admins are metagaming and I'm so sick of it.

I honestly can’t tell if this is satire or not.