Garages and QR codes, why?

Rhelli

On 2/23/2022 at 6:51 PM, Mahitto said:

There was someone on the forum who was saying they used to role-play a mechanic and they role-played doing whatever to the car around the client. The role-play was vague and general, while the focus was being put on the interaction, on random chats - some superficial, small talk, others deeper or with a purpose. At the end of a day, they had truly met a few people, made connections, had someone to continue their story with, exchanged information and such. Compare that to most garages (or, well, all of them).

yeah that was me. i put minimal effort into describing what i was doing to the car and i'd usually invite the client in and have them stand aside and we'd chat for an hour or so. a lot more fun than the alternative. you CAN invite civilians into garages, they just need to stand out of the way of the car. it's not impossible to do. everyone won. they got some nice RP they weren't expecting, i get to not have to type out meaningless shit into the void for 15 mins and they get their car upgraded. win-win-win. if people wouldn't talk to me and they'd go stand outside i wouldn't even bother emoting doing shit to their car, i'd just do a bunch of animations and walk around. why the fuck would i write a novel nobody but myself can see to a car of all things? that's not even roleplay at that point. used to be the only mechanic on shift sometimes too. mechanics need to get better at /delblip and saying "no, sorry, we're full on orders, fuck off" to people. most r just greedy for script money tho unfortunately and with the decrease to mechanic pay that was put in last year sometime there's even less incentive not to rush orders now.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, L I C E said:

yeah that was me. i put minimal effort into describing what i was doing to the car and i'd usually invite the client in and have them stand aside and we'd chat for an hour or so. a lot more fun than the alternative. you CAN invite civilians into garages, they just need to stand out of the way of the car. it's not impossible to do. everyone won. they got some nice RP they weren't expecting, i get to not have to type out meaningless shit into the void for 15 mins and they get their car upgraded. win-win-win. if people wouldn't talk to me and they'd go stand outside i wouldn't even bother emoting doing shit to their car, i'd just do a bunch of animations and walk around.

This is what I did back in 2018 and it was great, but I had the added experience of having lived abroad with and worked with classrooms full of ghetto mechanics students so it was just trying to capture the kind of banter and mood in a workshop. Miles better than emoting swapping out the 50th engine of the day.

1 hour ago, Koko said:

This is what I did back in 2018 and it was great, but I had the added experience of having lived abroad with and worked with classrooms full of ghetto mechanics students so it was just trying to capture the kind of banter and mood in a workshop. Miles better than emoting swapping out the 50th engine of the day.

fr. working on the car alone is realistic maybe but makes for shit RP. interaction > hyperrealism

On 2/25/2022 at 1:41 AM, L I C E said:

i didn't add this to my OP but it's also partly on the customer too. harass the mechanic. chat.

That's quite hard and, well, pretty much impossible to do with this new meta of "/cim DONT ENTER THE GARAGE" and the mechanic driving to the furthest away corner that you can't even see the pointless /me's. It's just coming to me now - mabye they don't even role-play, but just wait X minutes and drive it out? There's literally no way to know, as no one sees it. Might be worth spectating a few and seeing what's up.

3 hours ago, Mahitto said:

That's quite hard and, well, pretty much impossible to do with this new meta of "/cim DONT ENTER THE GARAGE" and the mechanic driving to the furthest away corner that you can't even see the pointless /me's. It's just coming to me now - mabye they don't even role-play, but just wait X minutes and drive it out? There's literally no way to know, as no one sees it. Might be worth spectating a few and seeing what's up.

rules were meant to be broken...............................

Thinking of it now, mechanic's another job designed similarly like trucking.

Rewards are reaped by quantity of (scriptwise) tasks done, so to profit as much as possible- which in itself would be a valid motivation, who doesn't like money- one has to ideally cut interaction short (to be able to do more interesting things with money sooner rather than later).

Evidently, this then throws up the question wether or not mechanics roleplay enough to really earn these rewards (or opposed to this stance, take too much playtime of people not interested in rping at a garage too much).

The obvious solution would be to reward mechanics for time spent roleplaying on shift- may it be fiddling with the engine or smoking infront and talking- opposed to dish out a share of a finished mod-job.

Edit: or a combination of both, like it works for /createitem shops, where employees get startshift paychecks, but them (or the business, depending on ic arrangements) also gets a bit on top for actually sold stuff.

The pressure of fixing mods fast would be gone though if there was a fixed base paycheck (trust me, I know- in the jewelry I had no issues doing 1 hour consultings as my character knew that even if the guy did not end up buying, she'd cash her cheque at least to pay the bills!)

Edited by knppel

Why stop there. It isn't realistic for every mechanic service to be one stop shop. The same place I get my engine swapped I get my rims and get new paint job? Not how it works in real life. Make it realistic, if you want to completely work on your car you probably going to several different shops to completely makeover it. Normally you'd have to go someone who specialize in paint automobiles and have to go somewhere else for an Engine swap and somewhere else for after market body kits. Lets keep it going, it isn't realistic for mechanics to be in stock of every single car part for every single car and every time. That is my issue with these type of arguments it never ends. This is so pointless, are we losing out on that much quality RP by using a QR code versus a catalog?

Edited by Power
  • Wuhtah locked this topic