Garages and QR codes, why?

Rhelli

On 2/21/2022 at 10:33 PM, Allantrist said:

I wish mechanics would introduce a loan car system so that they could take the order and give you a shitty car to take for the day - like I do in real life. Characters like mine who don't really care about their car other than it being reliable and gets her from A to B doesn't really get development from mechanic roleplay.

This only really works when you force cars to be unavailable when they're being worked on. I'll bet the majority of players don't want this because it inconveniences them.

2 hours ago, mj2002 said:

This only really works when you force cars to be unavailable when they're being worked on. I'll bet the majority of players don't want this because it inconveniences them.

It's what a garage is trying to force people to do, hand over their car for a day ooc while they service the car.

1 hour ago, Allantrist said:

It's what a garage is trying to force people to do, hand over their car for a day ooc while they service the car.

Cool in theory but bad in practice. I'd be fine with that, but I wouldn't /sellvehicle my personal car to some random mechanic because he wants to work on it all day, or even better, to later see it being take on joyrides around the city. Imagine that... And on top of that, you'd now have to coordinate with one specific person a time you'll both be online the following day. In most cases, that's borderline impossible.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:39 PM, Mahitto said:

That's obviously an exaggeration, but can you blame people for getting impatient? Visited a garage today, first time in months. Bought a lot of stuff. Ended up waiting for 15 minutes - and this was fast. I've had times when I waited for 30-45 minutes, sometimes more than an hour, for super in-depth role-play (and sometimes there's a line too).

rmg9nTp.png

Amazing character development, isn't it? Waited outside on my own, the mechanic inside on their own, doing the same 500 lines of role-play for no one to see, for the 50th time. No one interacting with anyone. Not even being allowed inside to watch - not that that would've made it better. Can't blame people for not enjoying idling for no reason. I'd much rather spend that 30 minutes doing something that would contribute to my character's story or history, "putting rust on car" is not one of them.

I'm an avid believer in roleplaying into the void being the most pointless thing in the world, and I support the argument of people being sent off into a garage to mindlessly type the same shit they've typed 20 times before that day is pointless, but what stopped you from having your character asking them to park it off to the side when they were done and hide the keys, call a taxi and go roleplay with someone? There's blame on both sides and people sitting there not roleplaying with others outside, or making an effort to get involved in roleplay away from the garage so they can get their car back to go RP are just as responsible as the people taking cars away to spam /me's into nothingness.   If people want to see improvement on that front they also need to make an effort themselves instead of just doing an animation and getting tilted that you're "stuck there" when in reality, you're not.

Every car I've had IRL, I've left and went out into the city, or went to work, occasionally I've came home to play GTA:W.  Any time I've been at work I've agreed with the mechanic to leave my car outside the lot if they were closing before I returned and arranged a place for them to keep the keys.  Hell my old house was near a garage that had those coded lock things for spare keys on the fence, and they'd text you a number and a code when your car was ready so there was no rush to collect it.   There's absolutely ways around it, and the people playing characters working at the garage aren't the only ones to blame for these things not happening.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Phased said:

I'm an avid believer in roleplaying into the void being the most pointless thing in the world, and I support the argument of people being sent off into a garage to mindlessly type the same shit they've typed 20 times before that day is pointless, but what stopped you from having your character asking them to park it off to the side when they were done and hide the keys, call a taxi and go roleplay with someone? There's blame on both sides and people sitting there not roleplaying with others outside, or making an effort to get involved in roleplay away from the garage so they can get their car back to go RP are just as responsible as the people taking cars away to spam /me's into nothingness.   If people want to see improvement on that front they also need to make an effort themselves instead of just doing an animation and getting tilted that you're "stuck there" when in reality, you're not.

Every car I've had IRL, I've left and went out into the city, or went to work, occasionally I've came home to play GTA:W.  Any time I've been at work I've agreed with the mechanic to leave my car outside the lot if they were closing before I returned and arranged a place for them to keep the keys.  Hell my old house was near a garage that had those coded lock things for spare keys on the fence, and they'd text you a number and a code when your car was ready so there was no rush to collect it.   There's absolutely ways around it, and the people playing characters working at the garage aren't the only ones to blame for these things not happening.

Mostly because I play during the morning hours when there are pretty much 0 businesses open, 0 ads, 0 events - there's quite literally nothing to do for hours on end. There was no one outside either. The reason why you might not hang around in real life is because it doesn't take 10-15 minutes for your vehicle to be ready to drive out. If it did, if you could leave with pretty much a brand new car within fifteen minutes of it being driven in? You'd probably skip on waiting for 5-10 minutes for a bus or paying a good bunch on a taxi, and just wait.

But that's completely irrelevant. Even if the city was bustling and there were people around, the issue with garages still remains. We can't really say that solution to the problem is to just leave the area or garage entirely and role-play somewhere else. The problem is still there. The role-play is still pretty much meaningless and boring.  The mechanic is still just just copy-pasting the same lines for the 50th time that day, on their own, in the back. Your character isn't more developed as a result of this. Their character isn't more developed after installing the 8th turbocharger that morning. The problem is that it could change for the better, but no one does it.

The only people I've seen trying were at that garage in Sandy, Gorman's? Where you had to go inside, order and stuff like that. It's much, much better than most other garages, but it still has a long way to go.

Edited by Mahitto
4 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Mostly because I play during the morning hours when there are pretty much 0 businesses open, 0 ads, 0 events - there's quite literally nothing to do for hours on end. There was no one outside either. The reason why you might not hang around in real life is because it doesn't take 10-15 minutes for your vehicle to be ready to drive out. If it did, if you coudl leave with pretty much a brand new car within fifteen minutes of it being driven in? You'd probably skip on waiting for 5-10 minutes for a bus or paying a good bunch on a taxi, and just wait.

But that's completely irrelevant. Even if the city was bustling and there were people around, the issue with garages still remains. We can't really say that solution to the problem is to just leave the area or garage entirely and role-play somewhere else. The problem is still there. The role-play is still pretty much meaningless and boring.  The mechanic is still just just copy-pasting the same lines for the 50th time that day, on their own, in the back. Your character isn't more developed as a result of this. Their character isn't more developed after installing the 8th turbocharger that morning. The problem is that it could change for the better, but no one does it.

The only people I've seen trying were at that garage in Sandy, Gorman's? Where you had to go inside, order and stuff like that. It's much, much better than most other garages, but it still has a long way to go.

So if your playtime is so dead, that you couldn't have gone out and roleplayed with anyone else, what exactly is your complaint here?  You had to sit on a bench with nobody to roleplay with instead of driving with nobody to roleplay with?  

Just now, Phased said:

So if your playtime is so dead, that you couldn't have gone out and roleplayed with anyone else, what exactly is your complaint here?  You had to sit on a bench with nobody to roleplay with instead of driving with nobody to roleplay with?  

No. You asked why, in my situation, I didn't go do something else, and I told you why. I also said that even if, that's not a solution. My point is that regardless of what there is to do, mechanic role-play is a waste of time for most people, clients and mechanics alike - time that could be spent developing your character in a meaningful way, contributing to their story, and that even the small chance it could be meaningful is completely being cut away by the way the vast majority of garages do it.

There was someone on the forum who was saying they used to role-play a mechanic and they role-played doing whatever to the car around the client. The role-play was vague and general, while the focus was being put on the interaction, on random chats - some superficial, small talk, others deeper or with a purpose. At the end of a day, they had truly met a few people, made connections, had someone to continue their story with, exchanged information and such. Compare that to most garages (or, well, all of them).

1 minute ago, Mahitto said:

No. You asked why, in my situation, I didn't go do something else, and I told you why. I also said that even if, that's not a solution. My point is that regardless of what there is to do, mechanic role-play is a waste of time for most people, clients and mechanics alike - time that could be spent developing your character in a meaningful way, contributing to their story, and that even the small chance it could be meaningful is completely being cut away by the way the vast majority of garages do it.

There was someone on the forum who was saying they used to role-play a mechanic and they role-played doing whatever to the car around the client. The role-play was vague and general, while the focus was being put on the interaction, on random chats - some superficial, small talk, others deeper or with a purpose. At the end of a day, they had truly met a few people, made connections, had someone to continue their story with, exchanged information and such. Compare that to most garages (or, well, all of them).

I don't think I'll ever understand your side of any argument - with all due respect to yourself I find myself replying to you a lot and it's because you make some complaint about how this one thing effects you then when you're offered alternatives it turns out your point has nothing to do with what you said.   If your concern is with how mechanics are roleplaying and people blocking you out of the garage instead of affording you the ability to roleplay with them and have a conversation you should be speaking to the staff team about how these businesses are being run as a way to farm cash instead of a place to roleplay, instead of making generalizing sweeping statements on the forums like "mechanics bad, I sat on bench and they ruined my chance for character development!!"

Just now, Phased said:

I don't think I'll ever understand your side of any argument - with all due respect to yourself I find myself replying to you a lot and it's because you make some complaint about how this one thing effects you then when you're offered alternatives it turns out your point has nothing to do with what you said.   If your concern is with how mechanics are roleplaying and people blocking you out of the garage instead of affording you the ability to roleplay with them and have a conversation you should be speaking to the staff team about how these businesses are being run as a way to farm cash instead of a place to roleplay, instead of making generalizing sweeping statements on the forums like "mechanics bad, I sat on bench and they ruined my chance for character development!!"

I'm not sure what's hard to understand? What I said is that mechanic role-play is generally fruitless. That's a fact. I'm not complaining as this issue doesn't really affect me. It's something I've noticed over and over for months on end, both first-hand and from other people's complaints and replies. Make a poll and see how many people consider changing the color of their car as being valuable character development. I promise you, not many. I'm not complaining.

Not sure why you're putting words in my mouth but you do you.

18 hours ago, Mahitto said:

I'm not sure what's hard to understand? What I said is that mechanic role-play is generally fruitless.

Tbh, mechanic RP is at its peak when it's not about the cars at all but about the garage and environment. And that's not hard to do.

• Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic