Jump to content

Garages and QR codes, why?


Rhelli

Recommended Posts

On 2/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, Wuhtah said:

Main reason I am personally against catalogs, QR scanning, tablets, etc is the minimum amount of RP that goes on between the mechanic and customer. It's boring. Mechanic RP is usually pretty boring (props to those who do like it) - so, actively engaging the customer is what we want to see more of.

 

You can't always offer maximum interaction. When you open a garage after a drought, which was the case through much of last year, you get SWAMPED. When you have eight cars waiting, you simply can't walk up to each one, wait for them to reply if they alt tabbed, then exchange your RP lines. That's on top of juggling all the orders, verifying what people actually ordered ("yeah just tint and wheels" when they ordered 8 things), then actually trying to RP all the mods as well. More mechanics isn't the solution either. Three people on shift makes it pointless money-wise, even more so after the components nerf. Plus, you can't just pull (good) mechanics out of thin air. A /createscene for a stack of catalogs or these other adaptations just streamline the process. A lot of people view it as a chore or are spoiled by shitter garages, which I can't blame them for, so you don't want to make it tedious for them either.

 

Mechanic RP is mostly redundant and not social, so the interactions are what make it. It's just not always feasible. These garages aren't necessarily lazy, the system is just imperfect.

Link to comment

Just to give my two cents,

 

I don't see the difference in doing "/me hands out a catalog" or "/me hands out a flyer with a QR code". Don't want to say much my local auto parts store indeed uses a QR code. And personally I do not see this as the issue at all.

 

The big issue here is that a customer  come and gives out a whole wash list of stuff they want done to their cars and if it takes longer than a minute, they start to get impatient. Then we have the customers who just leave if they do not get attention after a minute. Then there are also the customers who respray their car every other day, like that is realistic.

 

Doubt the point over someone typing the word catalog or the word flyer/QR is the issue here.

Link to comment

Just make it so that the process of getting work done on your car locks you out of it for a few hours/until next restart (in the case of full upgrades) so people can drop off vehicles and just leave. I don't care about how much you need it. Mechanic RP is tedious line-flinging into the void to do just about enough to warrant delivering the car and not get reported.

 

At least doing this, nechanics can band together and RP fixing cars together and actually get meaningful work RP done, and drivers would learn to grow some patience. Also cab drivers would make money.

Edited by Koko
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Koko said:

Just make it so that the process of getting work done on your car locks you out of it for a few hours/until next restart (in the case of full upgrades) so people can drop off vehicles and just leave. I don't care about how much you need it. Mechanic RP is tedious line-flinging into the void to do just about enough to warrant delivering the car and not get reported.

 

At least doing this, nechanics can band together and RP fixing cars together and actually get meaningful work RP done, and drivers would learn to grow some patience. Also cab drivers would make money.

I like this idea a lot, but sadly the majority would be against it.

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, etherair said:

Something tells me you guys really don't care about this being a problem, and it stems from the meme of mechanic roleplay being dogged on constantly. 

 

Because mechanic role-play, in its current state, is problematic. There are so many issues it's hard to call it realistic. Just take a quick look over your average mechanic garage - all mechanics are equally trained to do everything, they have every part for every existing car (which from a purely logistical or financial point of view would be completely ridiculous), every RGB color. You're being handed an unnamed catalog which somehow covers every single possible part for every single possible vehicle. Then someone randomly takes your car away and comes out with it in mere minutes, whatever you need. The paint is all dry, all parts perfectly installed. No paperwork whatsoever. By the time you get into your car, another is already in the store. There's a line of vehicles waiting to be upgraded.

 

To be honest, nothing about the current state of mechanic role-play is realistic. Sure, some of them try to make it better and big, big kudos to them all, but unless something changes, it will always be a "meme".

Link to comment
29 minutes ago, TinyPotato said:

i find going to mechanic shops IC kind of an awful experience that i want to get over quickly since it doesn't resemble anything in real life at all

 

that said if someone working there is really hungry for RP, im gone give them my best cus yknow, RP server n shit but like its kind of like RPing at the clothes shop its just an artifact of the limited possibilities of a game creating non-realistic scenarios

 

those of you that RP mechanics, what do you want from customers? cus like, im down to give you my best rp but its hard to really engage the whole scenario when the notion of driving up to a garage to flip through a catalog to get body work done in 20 mins is just absurd

Personally, I wish people were more in depth with their vehicles. I had someone tell me they had no clue what manufacturer made their car and they had no clue what year it was. Kinda turned me off the whole scenario.

Link to comment
On 2/9/2022 at 8:25 AM, H1 Soljuh said:

 

You can't always offer maximum interaction. When you open a garage after a drought, which was the case through much of last year, you get SWAMPED. When you have eight cars waiting, you simply can't walk up to each one, wait for them to reply if they alt tabbed, then exchange your RP lines. That's on top of juggling all the orders, verifying what people actually ordered ("yeah just tint and wheels" when they ordered 8 things), then actually trying to RP all the mods as well. More mechanics isn't the solution either. Three people on shift makes it pointless money-wise, even more so after the components nerf. Plus, you can't just pull (good) mechanics out of thin air. A /createscene for a stack of catalogs or these other adaptations just streamline the process. A lot of people view it as a chore or are spoiled by shitter garages, which I can't blame them for, so you don't want to make it tedious for them either.

 

Mechanic RP is mostly redundant and not social, so the interactions are what make it. It's just not always feasible. These garages aren't necessarily lazy, the system is just imperfect.

 

I mean, I guess some sort of system could be put in place? People could schedule their cars as needing to be worked on and whenever someone came online, they'd take the next one, or a similar system to be found. Meanwhile, others could role-play and interact around the garage. The role-play doesn't have to be rushed because 100 people are in line. If 100 people waited in line for your restaurant, you wouldn't give them undercooked food so that you can serve them all.

 

I think there are some golden opportunities for garages to shine. Really. Some amazing, realistic, in-depth role-play can be done around garages. Imagine running a high-end garage that only deals with sports cars. Clients can register on your website, you can come up with a simple free Google Sites and a forum linked to it or something. They could schedule their vehicle to be worked on. Meanwhile at the garage, people can show off their cars and socialize, hire food trucks or something to create a cozy vibe, a social hub. Host events like car shows or legal (drag) races. Sponsor events. Create a racing team for a tournament. Have a dealership, a rental company or something related running in the same yard.

 

So, so, so many possibilities, yet most (or all) of our garages are so not like that. Whatever you drive, a Pariah or a Rat Loader, drive it in, wait in line, browse catalog, wait for the someone to work on your car for 3 minutes like a robot, putting out the most technically-acurate but also useless lines of role-play they probably don't enjoy either, visit the small backroom that somehow has an infinite amount of all types of engines, turbochargers, paint buckets, fenders, hoods and such for any vehicle in existence, then run away because your 5 minutes are up and the next 20 people are in line. So much can be done. I think we all want to see better. Someone has to start, though.

Link to comment

tbh who cares if it's a catalog or a qr code or w/e. They way the mechanic script is set up is not for roleplay.

It's not mechanics fault the script is this way. Mechanics always been lazy, cus the script is like that and its what people want (or its what most people want, we think at least)

If anything I'd expect to /vsell my car to a mechanic for $6.. (since vdup is so bad, because god forbdi, scary asset sharing! ooooo 👻).. and pick it up another day.
I'd also expect a rental while my car is in the shop. etc etc


but qr code or catalog? lol same thing

Edited by bricksbricksbricks
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, bricksbricksbricks said:

tbh who cares if it's a catalog or a qr code or w/e. They way the mechanic script is set up is not for roleplay.

It's not mechanics fault the script is this way. Mechanics always been lazy, cus the script is like that and its what people want (or its what most people want, we think at least)

If anything I'd expect to /vsell my car to a mechanic for $6.. (since vdup is so bad, because god forbdi, scary asset sharing! ooooo 👻).. and pick it up another day.
I'd also expect a rental while my car is in the shop. etc etc


but qr code or catalog? lol same thing

Even if mechanics put effort into it, people get impatient. We had someone call a hitman on us because we didn't finish a complete overhaul in 5 minutes. If you buy everything from the menu, you can be sure I'm going to take my sweet time. But that won't stop people barging into the painting bay or the main bay and ask us what takes so long, or if it's done yet.

Honestly, I don't even need someone to sell me their car or vdup it, they can just park it and come back for it later. I've had one, maybe two people who actually left their car and didn't stick around to wait for it. And that person is an admin.

Link to comment
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
  • Create New...