Garages and QR codes, why?

Rhelli

5 hours ago, Inked said:

I think it's something you just got to recognize is game-ified and nitpicking stuff like catalogs and QR codes in favor of forced RP interactions is not going to make those interactions any more desirable or high quality. It's not the script's fault, and it's not necessarily laziness. It's just uninteresting roleplay that people don't want to expand out more than they have to.

That's been a recurring problem around mechanic RP, unfortunately, yeah. Some are under the impression that in order to have "quality mechanic RP", you need to make everyone wait as long as possible, be as annoying as possible with nitpicking, and post ungodly long emotes that create very little character development. It's not really something many people enjoy 😕 

4 hours ago, moulton said:

A good mechanic rp'er isn't defined by their /me's or /do's. A good mechanic rp'er is defined by their ability to cater, interact socially and make someone feel good about their purchases.

That's basically it yeah. I've modded my truck twice in 2 locations. First one had those super long elaborate emotes and I hoped I could just get into a cryo pod and wake up in 100 years, in the future, once the modding was over. There was literally nobody around in the garage to READ those /mes - which means they served no interaction at all x_x To me, mechanic RP was a punishment and I hoped I would never have to RP a mechanic myself.

Second time I went elsewhere. The emotes were much more basic, but the mechanic was explaining what she was doing, had a few clumsy moments of oil spilling a bit, cracked a few mechanic jokes that my dude didn't understand, ... it was clearly a lot more human, there was a back & forth, and if I ever get another car, I know for a fact I'll go back there ^^' Because at the end of that RP? I kinda wanted my character to apply and become a youngling apprentice mechanic, it really looked cool.

Edited by Topinambour

Back in 2018 when I started, I became a mechanic because I was new and it was one of the first jobs I saw floating around.

Since I knew pretty much nothing about cars at the time, my approach was to quickly Google the main steps of what I was doing, vaguely RP it, and pretty much just talk while I worked and bullshit my way around by having some human workplace RP and shenanigans, or doing silly bets with coworkers, pranks etc. I remember people enjoying it and getting to develop quite a few friendships while at work.

Then again this was the Vinewood garage, so you weren't confined in your own corner emoting into the void. 

Edited by Koko
13 minutes ago, DarkAndDreary said:

Funny thing is, when customers show up, I as them what can I help them with.

And around 90% of the time, they ask for s catalog.

But it makes more sense to have a QR code that takes you to a website as opposed to a 10000 page physical catalog for all makes and models we got in game.

That's because this system that we got is simply stupid. Most people don't even know what they want until they see the modification menu. So people automatically ask for a catalog to see the menu. You can't even see chat when you are in the menu so it just makes the interactions more awkward.

2 minutes ago, sCrax said:

That's because this system that we got is simply stupid. Most people don't even know what they want until they see the modification menu. So people automatically ask for a catalog to see the menu. You can't even see chat when you are in the menu so it just makes the interactions more awkward.

You actually can.

If you press F4.

All great suggestions, but to kill the mechanic roleplay completely. They are working with what they are given. Ideally? Allow players to purchase vehicle parts from the business online (myb something mod-menu alike) and make an appointment to have their car serviced/modified.

• Wuhtah locked this topic