Garages and QR codes, why?

Rhelli

Just now, BINGBONGAMERICA said:

hot take but mechanics and the garage system overall are a pain to deal with, the faster I can get in and out the better.

you can go days without seeing garages open because the owners of said garages would rather modify their OOC circle's cars instead of doing the whole mechanic thing

If you think this is an issue, I will definitely look into it more.

I don't believe it is as they frequently post /ads - just not always a BLIP on the map because of donation statuses. 

We're currently also in the process of handing out more garages, but again, it's a process that may take awhile to get the best people in the position.

I think doing it on QR codes is far better than every garage having a magic catalogue of every customisation of every car ever.  Calling this low effort roleplay is such a reach and just looking for things to complain about.

Realistically, most people don't go to a garage and pick this stuff out and they'd know ahead of time.  Picking it out at the garage is a necessary evil because there's no real system that can be used to see how everything would look together.  If this is roleplayed through a QR code in 2022 rather than a magic 15,000 page catalogue I'm all for it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

If you think this is an issue, I will definitely look into it more.

I don't believe it is as they frequently post /ads - just not always a BLIP on the map because of donation statuses. 

We're currently also in the process of handing out more garages, but again, it's a process that may take awhile to get the best people in the position.

My problem is more with the mechanic system overall, not people who abuse it to benefit their friends if obviously still a problem in itself.

Would rather see a revamp of how the mechanic system and menu works but obviously that's something I'd have to suggest in the first place.

Edited by BINGBONGAMERICA

Main reason I am personally against catalogs, QR scanning, tablets, etc is the minimum amount of RP that goes on between the mechanic and customer. It's boring. Mechanic RP is usually pretty boring (props to those who do like it) - so, actively engaging the customer is what we want to see more of.

I understand that it's annoying when you're having to wait around because of the RP going on, which again - is why we're trying to push out more garages. 

RP quality over quantity will always be our focus, I have reached out to the garages that use the QR scanner to perhaps make a compromise as I see some are against them and some are not. It is true that a catalog is not the best RPing the UI pop up, I agree with this. 

I think the catalog is a must for the level of "realism" we expect out of GTAW.

It's easier for the mechanic to serve multiple people at once since usually its just one on duty and its easier for those that just wants to change their cars quickyl without waiting for hours

I'd personally love to have a mechanic go over stuff and what I'd like and so on then you use the Y menu to set it so the mechanic knows oocly how it'll all look but again, time consuming and people want stuff done quick.

The roleplay quality of that forced interaction that neither side really cares about or wants tends to suffer. In a perfect setting, you'd have mechanics with actual skills that would do consultations and work with you on the design to your modifications - then organize a date/time for the car to be delivered where the modifications would be worked on, likely over the course of a few days.

Nobody is interested in that. Nobody wants to turn getting their car modified a week+ process, especially not when probably half of the people modding their cars are doing it because there's no system that lets you buy the car modded the way you wanted it from the start - and not every roleplay situation requires you to start with a barebones car and RPly mod it up. Sometimes you buy a car and need to mod it so it can just be what it was meant to be from the start.

I think it's something you just got to recognize is game-ified and nitpicking stuff like catalogs and QR codes in favor of forced RP interactions is not going to make those interactions any more desirable or high quality. It's not the script's fault, and it's not necessarily laziness. It's just uninteresting roleplay that people don't want to expand out more than they have to.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
1 minute ago, Inked said:

The roleplay quality of that forced interaction that neither side really cares about or wants tends to suffer. In a perfect setting, you'd have mechanics with actual skills that would do consultations and work with you on the design to your modifications - then organize a date/time for the car to be delivered where the modifications would be worked on, likely over the course of a few days.

Nobody is interested in that. Nobody wants to turn getting their car modified a week+ process, especially not when probably half of the people modding their cars are doing it because there's no system that lets you buy the car modded the way you wanted it from the start - and not every roleplay situation requires you to start with a barebones car and RPly mod it up. Sometimes you buy a car and need to mod it so it can just be what it was meant to be from the start.

I think it's something you just got to recognize is game-ified and nitpicking stuff like catalogs and QR codes in favor of forced RP interactions is not going to make those interactions any more desirable or high quality. It's not the script's fault, and it's not necessarily laziness. It's just uninteresting roleplay that people don't want to expand out more than they have to.

Very fair point, it's hard to please everyone in this situation. Some want the RP, some do not. Customizing your car doesn't always award good character development for your own character, but it might with the mechanic itself - or it might not. 

• Upvote 1
Just now, Wuhtah said:

Very fair point, it's hard to please everyone in this situation. Some want the RP, some do not. Customizing your car doesn't always award good character development for your own character, but it might with the mechanic itself - or it might not. 

Agreed! I think a lot of those that do really enjoy that roleplay will still do it, even if it's not going to generate the most business - because of course there's going to be that niche group in every circle that enjoys that, both on part of the service provider and the customer. 

For instance, I see it in the tattoo roleplay scene. Many people want to just be able to walk-in to a tattoo studio without an appointment and get this fully custom elaborate sleeve or back piece that is all hand-designed by the artist - and then get it all done in a single one-hour session. When of course in reality, these types of pieces could take 6-8 hours of tattooing and would be scheduled over one or more days. But most people aren't interested in that when someone else will do it as quick as they want it. Some just want to get tattoos added because their character would already have them at this point in their life.

Those who enjoy tattoo RP will make the appointment(s) to do it the right way, they'll seek out the right studio and the right process, and the studio that is passionate about it will accommodate. Just a hard thing to force one way or another and any middle ground that at least has some angle of realism involved in the process is better than nothing!

• Thanks 1
Just now, Inked said:

Agreed! I think a lot of those that do really enjoy that roleplay will still do it, even if it's not going to generate the most business - because of course there's going to be that niche group in every circle that enjoys that, both on part of the service provider and the customer. 

For instance, I see it in the tattoo roleplay scene. Many people want to just be able to walk-in to a tattoo studio without an appointment and get this fully custom elaborate sleeve or back piece that is all hand-designed by the artist - and then get it all done in a single one-hour session. When of course in reality, these types of pieces could take 6-8 hours of tattooing and would be scheduled over one or more days. But most people aren't interested in that when someone else will do it as quick as they want it. Some just want to get tattoos added because their character would already have them at this point in their life.

Those who enjoy tattoo RP will make the appointment(s) to do it the right way, they'll seek out the right studio and the right process, and the studio that is passionate about it will accommodate. Just a hard thing to force one way or another and any middle ground that at least has some angle of realism involved in the process is better than nothing!

I see your point! I think it's because garages/cars make so much money with the amount of traffic flow they get in which is why we want them to always be RPing thoroughly, even if both players do not truly want to. I'll look into this a bit more and see if I can come up with something that helps all players.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic