Garages and QR codes, why?

Rhelli

17 hours ago, Koko said:

Just make it so that the process of getting work done on your car locks you out of it for a few hours/until next restart (in the case of full upgrades) so people can drop off vehicles and just leave. I don't care about how much you need it. Mechanic RP is tedious line-flinging into the void to do just about enough to warrant delivering the car and not get reported.

At least doing this, nechanics can band together and RP fixing cars together and actually get meaningful work RP done, and drivers would learn to grow some patience. Also cab drivers would make money.

I'm very much against forced annoying RP... but this, I'm like why not? 

Provided there ARE enough taxis on the server, because otherwise it's gonna be absolutely miserable 😛 

Little idea what if when you upgrade your car with the exception of wheels, tint or.maintenance the car can't be moved out of the garage idea for like 12 hours. That way it would be realistic and people that care about the roleplay would stay and those that don't would leave. The.mechanics wouldn't have to rush the roleplay and could take their time with each car? 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Shiro said:

years later and people still expect mechanics to provide the highest level of detail and rp out of anyone in the server, always funny to read

Detail is over rated. It should not be expected from a quality standpoint. People should be able to RP mechanics with a small level of knowledge that sounds plausible, but they shouldn't have to have intricate knowledge of what inter cooler should be installed with a specific size turbocharger and what size socket wrench to use with the bolts on the engine mounts. If a garage owner wants to be more technical in terms of detail sure, by all means. That's their prerogative. It shouldn't be expected though. The quality of a garage should come from its ability to interact with its customers and create RP surrounding their interaction with the garage. Mechanics are too focused on fitting 25 /me's into a short amount of time, so they can be detailed and not get in trouble for lack of RP. The downside to this is that the customer gets next to zero interaction with the mechanic. This turns into a negative experience for the customer and they end up with the opinion that going to a garage is a chore, rather than a potential experience.

It's a product of the system though, unfortunately. The system of how mechanics are paid and how garages make money should be changed. I don't see why mechanics shouldn't be paid like everyone else on the server with a /startshift and a flat hourly payment. This takes the focus away from trying to fit in as many jobs as possible, which is what has led to an unrealistic expectation that engine swaps should only take 5 minutes. There should be a middle ground though. Cars shouldn't have to be left for days, unless the garage is trying to RP that kind of garage in which case that's their choice. The experience of waiting for your vehicle at a garage has become downright unbearable and I think that's the core of the issue. If people had more enjoyment out of waiting for their car, either through interaction with other people at the shop or interaction with the mechanic while they are working on the car, it wouldn't be such a negatively viewed experience.

On 2/14/2022 at 11:54 PM, Rhelli said:

Even if mechanics put effort into it, people get impatient. We had someone call a hitman on us because we didn't finish a complete overhaul in 5 minutes. If you buy everything from the menu, you can be sure I'm going to take my sweet time. But that won't stop people barging into the painting bay or the main bay and ask us what takes so long, or if it's done yet.

Honestly, I don't even need someone to sell me their car or vdup it, they can just park it and come back for it later. I've had one, maybe two people who actually left their car and didn't stick around to wait for it. And that person is an admin.

That's obviously an exaggeration, but can you blame people for getting impatient? Visited a garage today, first time in months. Bought a lot of stuff. Ended up waiting for 15 minutes - and this was fast. I've had times when I waited for 30-45 minutes, sometimes more than an hour, for super in-depth role-play (and sometimes there's a line too).

rmg9nTp.png

Amazing character development, isn't it? Waited outside on my own, the mechanic inside on their own, doing the same 500 lines of role-play for no one to see, for the 50th time. No one interacting with anyone. Not even being allowed inside to watch - not that that would've made it better. Can't blame people for not enjoying idling for no reason. I'd much rather spend that 30 minutes doing something that would contribute to my character's story or history, "putting rust on car" is not one of them.

• Upvote 1

I wish mechanics would introduce a loan car system so that they could take the order and give you a shitty car to take for the day - like I do in real life. Characters like mine who don't really care about their car other than it being reliable and gets her from A to B doesn't really get development from mechanic roleplay.

I went down to a garage that asked me to check the mods, pick what I want but don't purchase them until after the roleplay. Then proceeded to tell me that they don't time skip anything and will keep my car for a day ooc time. Why would I trust them with my car when as I pulled up they were having a conversation about illegal guns and how they wanted to steal a car and take it to a chop shop. Why would my legal character leave her car with them after that? Not to mention I only have one car, no other form of transportation and I don't want to take a taxi every time I want to drive somewhere on the map. I wouldn't even give my car to a repair shop without access to a loan car for the time being.

Most of the upgrades and modifications don't even make sense - usually you pick out all the modifications you want done to the car based on what the dealership offers and it comes from the factory like that.

7 hours ago, Mahitto said:

I'd much rather spend that 30 minutes doing something that would contribute to my character's story or history, "putting rust on car" is not one of them.

Sorta off topic but if you /report admins are normally happy to add rust liveries, saving you and your future mechanic the hassle of downgrading your vehicle.

Same can be done with /asetdirt if you feel your vehicle should be dirty.

14 hours ago, Allantrist said:

I wish mechanics would introduce a loan car system so that they could take the order and give you a shitty car to take for the day - like I do in real life. Characters like mine who don't really care about their car other than it being reliable and gets her from A to B doesn't really get development from mechanic roleplay.

We tried doing that.
And guess what?

Nobody used it. 💀

• Wuhtah locked this topic