Garages and QR codes, why?

Rhelli

It is not stupid to have catalogs or QR codes which refer to a catalog, but just online. Whoever says that we don't go to mechanics and browse catalogs or brochures for parts, I can easily say that someone has never went to a mechanic, doesn't have a driver license yet or just simply goes to a mechanic for just an oil change or something similar. Everyone here keeps saying that doing QR codes or catalogs are pure laziness, when in fact no one offers something else that could be done, or rejects when they're offered the same. We see you guys when you actually need a garage and come to us, every little one of you get impatient and ask for your cars when we start doing the roleplay.

11 minutes ago, LASTPUNISHER said:

It is not stupid to have catalogs or QR codes which refer to a catalog, but just online. Whoever says that we don't go to mechanics and browse catalogs or brochures for parts, I can easily say that someone has never went to a mechanic, doesn't have a driver license yet or just simply goes to a mechanic for just an oil change or something similar. Everyone here keeps saying that doing QR codes or catalogs are pure laziness, when in fact no one offers something else that could be done, or rejects when they're offered the same. We see you guys when you actually need a garage and come to us, every little one of you get impatient and ask for your cars when we start doing the roleplay.

I've been to a mechanic, I have a driver's license, I go to a mechanic for way more than a simple oil change on my project car. He's never offered me a catalog, brochure or a QR code. What he did do is tell me which stores to check for parts, but that's still not the same.

1 hour ago, stringer said:

Catalogs make no sense, the mechanic system makes no sense. You do not go to mechanics IRL to browse a catalog for parts, it's incredibly stupid.

This really.

My great concern with the mechanic system is that it forces the mechanic to npc emotes, opposed to encourage them to help the customer.

Exceptions stating the rule I was tossed a catalog and told to pick my stuff opposed to get proper consulting ic.

this can get not so lowkey satirical when mechanics mock you for "terrible" picks of rims on your car, after first failing to respond when you ask them which ones you should pick.

19 hours ago, Wuhtah said:

Main reason I am personally against catalogs, QR scanning, tablets, etc is the minimum amount of RP that goes on between the mechanic and customer. It's boring. Mechanic RP is usually pretty boring (props to those who do like it) - so, actively engaging the customer is what we want to see more of.

I understand that it's annoying when you're having to wait around because of the RP going on, which again - is why we're trying to push out more garages. 

RP quality over quantity will always be our focus, I have reached out to the garages that use the QR scanner to perhaps make a compromise as I see some are against them and some are not. It is true that a catalog is not the best RPing the UI pop up, I agree with this. 

I do agree with this, but alas, it's a necessary evil.

When you open a garage and all of the sudden 8 cars turn into bumper cars to reach the precious blue spot to use the script and start getting uppity because you take more than two minutes to modify engine, brakes, suspension, transmission and seven changes in bodywork on their newly bought car, two things happen:

1. You get tired of the roleplay, you get stressed and want to be done with it. Trust me, it becomes stressful because people don't know how to behave sometimes.
2. You can't interact with other customers properly because people will complain you are taking too long. This either causes them to leave without RPing the modifications, and by the time you notice is to late, or they keep annoying you until you do it fast.

It's a garage/mechanic script issue as much as it is a community wide issue. The script as @BINGBONGAMERICA said, can be suggested to be changed/updated. Nothing we can do about the community treating garages like LS Customs in normal GTAV unless the community itself commits to it. 

I've had a few people willing to leave their vehicles over the night so we could work on them, and that's literally a blessing. I've also had people who asked to get their entire car modified and messaged me through /pm asking "How long left?" literally 5-10 minutes after.

Edited by JackieH
23 minutes ago, JackieH said:

I do agree with this, but alas, it's a necessary evil.

When you open a garage and all of the sudden 8 cars turn into bumper cars to reach the precious blue spot to use the script and start getting uppity because you take more than two minutes to modify engine, brakes, suspension, transmission and seven changes in bodywork on their newly bought car, two things happen:

1. You get tired of the roleplay, you get stressed and want to be done with it. Trust me, it becomes stressful because people don't know how to behave sometimes.
2. You can't interact with other customers properly because people will complain you are taking too long. This either causes them to leave without RPing the modifications, and by the time you notice is to late, or they keep annoying you until you do it fast.

It's a garage/mechanic script issue as much as it is a community wide issue. The script as @BINGBONGAMERICA said, can be suggested to be changed/updated. Nothing we can do about the community treating garages like LS Customs in normal GTAV unless the community itself commits to it. 

I've had a few people willing to leave their vehicles over the night so we could work on them, and that's literally a blessing. I've also had people who asked to get their entire car modified and messaged me through /pm asking "How long left?" literally 5-10 minutes after.

To be honest, I agree with you. But, I'm also under the impression of, if they can't wait because people want to roleplay. They can go elsewhere, nothings forcing them to use that garage or forcing them to modify their cars. Modifying cars should be a luxury not a neccessity (Unless obviously you need it for a mechanic check-up thats to do with the script) and should be reportable via common courtesy if they want to complain/leave without RPing/not behave properly.

Honestly it's not a big deal. There are a lot of places that use QR codes to access a menu or some sort of information online. We live in a digital age, deal with it. The core of the issue is not the QR code, it's the lack of interaction after the QR code's use. Mechanic shops should be a place for RP to happen so much more than it does. Casual conversation is sorely underutilized. Strike up a conversation with the driver while you're working on their car. Make their time a little less unpleasant. Read the room. You can always tell who's there to be in-and-out and who's not. I don't know where we lost that part of the interaction. Now it's just "use the QR code" and "/me a bunch of random car details only a few people understand, here's your car its done have a nice day". I get we're supposed to be RP'ing a garage, but less focus on what size socket wrench you're using and more focus on the customer and their interaction / experience.

The QR code is not the issue here.

15 hours ago, CookieMonster said:

Honestly it's not a big deal. There are a lot of places that use QR codes to access a menu or some sort of information online. We live in a digital age, deal with it. The core of the issue is not the QR code, it's the lack of interaction after the QR code's use. Mechanic shops should be a place for RP to happen so much more than it does. Casual conversation is sorely underutilized. Strike up a conversation with the driver while you're working on their car. Make their time a little less unpleasant. Read the room. You can always tell who's there to be in-and-out and who's not. I don't know where we lost that part of the interaction. Now it's just "use the QR code" and "/me a bunch of random car details only a few people understand, here's your car its done have a nice day". I get we're supposed to be RP'ing a garage, but less focus on what size socket wrench you're using and more focus on the customer and their interaction / experience.

The QR code is not the issue here.

I agree with this view. The problem is that everything about 'upgrading' cars is OOCly handled. So how does one expect mechanics to properly roleplay this? Unless theyre out of components, they offer every single 'upgrade' imaginable, and they're always interchangeable between vehicles. You can argue that it is up to the mechanic to just imagine something and roleplay it accordingly, but you could also decide to revamp the upgrade system properly, and make upgrades IC so that there's actually something to roleplay with.

Until then, players will just see mechanics as glorified menus, and you get this in return.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic