Garages and QR codes, why?

Rhelli

If the only reason that people have shit mechanic rp and let people buy stuff through a menu is the fact that they don't have enough mechanics who work there is not an excuse, hire more people and rp it realistically. Have you ever heard of a mechanic shop in a major city only have one guy working there at any one time with a line of 9+ cars? No because that's absurd. Encourage some rp around the garage, hire people. 

Mechanic RP is long, tedious, and at the end of the day no one really cares about it for other reasons stated in this thread. I get some people are heavily involved in roleplaying around their cars and modding them, but most people just want a quick and painless interaction. I don't care for the solo-RP a mechanic is doing to paint my car because I accidentally chose the wrong color when buying it. 

I'm of the opinion that garages should be a lot like 24/7s in that if no one's operating one people can just use it on their own.

I think that sometimes mechanics can be frustrated by people coming and not knowing how people should interact with them. The answer is they try to make a dumbed down version for those less knowledgeable about that aspect and in turn this frustrates people who do know how to do it right. I'm not condoning it; far from it, but I don't think we should outright wag the finger at mechanics, when this landslide could have stemmed from other problems further back in the timeline.

42 minutes ago, nwah_ said:

Mechanic RP is long, tedious, and at the end of the day no one really cares about it for other reasons stated in this thread. I get some people are heavily involved in roleplaying around their cars and modding them, but most people just want a quick and painless interaction. I don't care for the solo-RP a mechanic is doing to paint my car because I accidentally chose the wrong color when buying it. 

I'm of the opinion that garages should be a lot like 24/7s in that if no one's operating one people can just use it on their own.

I guess a concern would be that if most people don't care for the RP, will they just wait it out and wait until all mechanic shops are shut? Will this take away business from garages? If a car doesn't come for 30 minutes, the mechanic will probably leave. Then they'll just go as soon as they are closed to any shop they want and do it themselves, if that's the case. Does the money still go to the garage even though they are closed? Doesn't that make them even more of a money printing machine, which is why component cost was doubled to slow that down? Component use would be another big issue. It's already hard to keep garages stocked, but if they can be used at all times even when closed? Truckers will only ever deliver to garages and other businesses will also suffer because of that, as they already do. Lots of factors in using closed garages besides the inconvenience of not wanting to sit through the RP.

Edited by Cypher
10 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I think that sometimes mechanics can be frustrated by people coming and not knowing how people should interact with them. The answer is they try to make a dumbed down version for those less knowledgeable about that aspect and in turn this frustrates people who do know how to do it right. I'm not condoning it; far from it, but I don't think we should outright wag the finger at mechanics, when this landslide could have stemmed from other problems further back in the timeline.

If someone's knowledge isn't there, when I was at Beeker's - we would just cater to it. We'd give them the process of what we were going to do and just poise a single yes/no.

A good mechanic rp'er isn't defined by their /me's or /do's. A good mechanic rp'er is defined by their ability to cater, interact socially and make someone feel good about their purchases. It's a business and should be treated as such with strong customer service. I don't know the first thing about cars IRL, but I manage to get by complex things by looking up guides, studying some things when I can and talking to other enthusiasts on the server. 

If someone wants their car done quick? I'll "fully upgrade" your thing in twenty minutes, but I want to get to know your character, I want to talk and create a rapport with the garage so that twentyish minute mechanic rp actually turns out to be an extra forty minutes (at times) of interaction. It's not hard to read when people want to be in and out, so you just cater to that which is fine at times, I'm NOT going to roleplay with someone who comes up, uses the marker - rp's scanning a QR code. 

The easiest way around this is TABLETS. With "inventory" of the garage on it, that means that parts are realistically accessible and then people don't have to power-game parts out of their ass. Garages should be using digital catalogs, yes - but not in the capacity of a QR code. There should be some roleplay between the mechanic and the person. I've had paintjobs done in five minutes BECAUSE I've spent thirty talking to the person. I've spent two hours working on a paint job because the person wanted a unique color and I went beyond the capacity of GTAW to find them a nice color on a color-wheel that was "custom". Going so far to talk to the person about the vehicle and it's IRL counter-part on discord and giving my opinion on what would look nice.

• Applaud 3
5 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I never ask for a catalogue, I tell mechanics what I want. Because I know that before I come to a garage. catalogues always were a stupid thing as no irl garage actually has one.

Yeah, this is pretty accurate. I can't react anymore today, otherwise I would've applauded.

• Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic