Change mapping fees

4 minutes ago, ENDREAS said:

+1. How much a mapper charges should be up to them. If the customer agrees, what's the problem?

Exactly. If someone charges too much, it'll be like the current housing market. They'll get laughed at and/or ignored. Don't know why this is being regulated.

I partly agree with @Tiddy, but not regarding the last part of his comment. If someone's point is to rush something for the money and move on to the next project, if anything, our current system encourages that, since there's a cap, and if someone does it for money, they'll have to do more project, which means they'll fit as many in as little time as possible. If these same people have the opportunity to spend a week straight and charge 1 million for an amazing project, they'll probably do that.

Regardless, this isn't and shouldn't be about this small number of bad apples. If I want to spend 1 whole month on an amazing project and go in super much detail, come up with a color theme, a realistic and to-size floor plan, create highly detailed items and make sure everything is perfect, I should be able to charge as much as I want to, and people should be able to accept, deny or negotiate that price. The quality of a project has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the furniture items used. It's probably the least relevant factor. This shouldn't be capped in the first place, it makes no sense.

3 hours ago, Mahitto said:

Exactly. If someone charges too much, it'll be like the current housing market. They'll get laughed at and/or ignored. Don't know why this is being regulated.

I partly agree with @Tiddy, but not regarding the last part of his comment. If someone's point is to rush something for the money and move on to the next project, if anything, our current system encourages that, since there's a cap, and if someone does it for money, they'll have to do more project, which means they'll fit as many in as little time as possible. If these same people have the opportunity to spend a week straight and charge 1 million for an amazing project, they'll probably do that.

Regardless, this isn't and shouldn't be about this small number of bad apples. If I want to spend 1 whole month on an amazing project and go in super much detail, come up with a color theme, a realistic and to-size floor plan, create highly detailed items and make sure everything is perfect, I should be able to charge as much as I want to, and people should be able to accept, deny or negotiate that price. The quality of a project has absolutely nothing to do with the price of the furniture items used. It's probably the least relevant factor. This shouldn't be capped in the first place, it makes no sense.

I honestly couldn't agree more with everything you've said. Really hope this gets implemented. I often get discouraged when I map and realize how much detail I put in it, as well as time. On big projects that are detailed it really feels like I'm getting ripped off, especially since I don't use the more expensive objects.  The current alternative would be for me to change my mapping style into something less detailed but that's just not me. I like being proud of my work, but I'd also like my work to be allowed to be valued accordingly. The value of an interior has nothing to do with furniture worth and everything to do with the mapper's creativity. As for the customer and mapper not agreeing on a final price, that would rarely happen as long as you give the customer an idea of what your mapping looks like through your portfolio and agree on a price range before.  One point Tiddy made was about this not fixing the mapper drought. No, it wouldn't completely fix it because the main reason for the mapper drought is that it takes real life money to be able to furnish more than a tiny room. This is obviously the main deterrent that puts off players from even attempting to learn how to map. Second factor is how time consuming it is. These aspects won't ever change, but allowing players' work to be priced according to what they choose would definitely make mapping more appealing to mappers. It is, afterall, their own work and only they can put a price on their time.

Edited by ENDREAS
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, ENDREAS said:

I honestly couldn't agree more with everything you've said. Really hope this gets implemented. I often get discouraged when I map and realize how much detail I put in it, as well as time. On big projects that are detailed it really feels like I'm getting ripped off, especially since I don't use the more expensive objects.  The current alternative would be for me to change my mapping style into something less detailed but that's just not me. I like being proud of my work, but I'd also like my work to be allowed to be valued accordingly. The value of an interior has nothing to do with furniture worth and everything to do with the mapper's creativity. As for the customer and mapper not agreeing on a final price, that would rarely happen as long as you give the customer an idea of what your mapping looks like through your portfolio and agree on a price range before.  One point Tiddy made was about this not fixing the mapper drought. No, it wouldn't completely fix it because the main reason for the mapper drought is that it takes real life money to be able to furnish more than a tiny room. This is obviously the main deterrent that puts off players from even attempting to learn how to map. Second factor is how time consuming it is. These aspects won't ever change, but allowing players' work to be priced according to what they choose would definitely make mapping more appealing to mappers. It is, afterall, their own work and only they can put a price on their time.

Very, very well put.

After all, it's like any type of art, real or digital. Imagine this - a painter spends 40 years learning how to paint and perfecting their style, spends a full year coming out with a beautiful painting that's a mix of their time, effort, creativity and much more. They can now happily sell it for a maximum of 10 times the price of the oil paint they used, so $50? Not that fair, in my opinion...

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the suggestion. Let the competition be the key to the price-tag. I won't let someone design my apartment for one million because I am sure that some other mapper will ask one hundred thousands. To limit someone to a tagged price is against the idea of the freedom of roleplay. Also the mapping takes a lot of time and effort to do a clean interior with no bugs and suits the character that owns the property. It take days and sometimes weeks to finish a project with many hours of concentration and dedicated work. I endorse the idea and let the players ICLY agree to the prices.