Do we have too many additions to the world?

Paenymion

6 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

RageMP might be shit but I very much doubt the plethora of higher res mods added in the 3 years since 2019 have not impacted performance.

More importantly it's the amount of players causing this.

I don't have numbers from 2019, when I started to play here in 2020 and the server averaged 400-500 in the evenings, my performance was better too in terms of texture loss occurance then it's now with regularly up to 800 on good days.

It's simple math that a more of players- contrary to a few added mods we download first hand as was pointed out- affects performance (most notably in the mentioned for of texture loss).

On the technical end I upgraded just last summer and my own performance drastically increased (up to the point where I'm able to play well with barely any texture and fps loss even in the bigger events).

Regardless, the amount of events causing texture loss on my end in total increased in comparison to fall 2020 simply as we have more players staging more events of critical mass.

2 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Counter argument back in 2019 there was way more outdoors RP than there is today

Might or might not be the case- I can't tell what the trends here in 2019 were, for aforementioned reasons, but if there were no big public gatherings anymore- where then occasionaly texture loss happens even for high end computers- we'd not have this thread here.

Spontanously I recall at least 3 events in 2021 that (partially) took place in dim 0 and had over 100 participants each (accompanied by according texture loss of varying degrees).

This wasn't really an issue for the longest time until a few months ago, I have in the past been able to play just fine without any issues, even when we already had high player counts, car mods and clothing mods. Just really feels like the client shit the bed at some point, and I dearly hope they clean it up.

Lowering your texture settings to "medium" helps a lot as a stopgap measure by the way, not too pretty but it works.

A lot of problems were introduced with RAGEMP 1.1

When we were on 0.3.7 we had, cars that never despawned and we could have more players and vehicles together in one spot with out any issues. On NYE 2020/2021 we had so many people all standing around together with all their vehicles. NYE 2021/2022 we had to do it in a separate dimension. That says it all. 

• Upvote 4

A friend of mine has a PC with an "old" HDD, 5400 tpm. As a consequence, he often gets into accidents when there's a lot of people in the same area: other players and cars take 30+ seconds to load ^^' But he has the same problem on vanilla servers. The issue is twofold: the old HDD AND the amount of stuff RageMP has to send him - which in turns means his old HDD has to load a lot of stuff.

When there's not a lot of people online though, he has zero problems, which would point more at a problem of "too many people online = too much shit to stream = HDD struggles and texture losses". Similarly, already in 2018 when RageMP was first introduced, I've had problems with the ground not loading in a specific area around Vinewood Hills, whenever the server hit 100+ people online. 

So, I think there is a confusion between several separate issues.

- FPS drops, those could maybe be caused by mods, sure.

- RageMP being unable to stream enough information quickly enough, when there's a lot of people online at the same time - that causes desync, people "popping", texture loss, ...

- People's individual computers having trouble loading in enough information, when RageMP sends a lot of it all at the same time (if there's a lot of people in the same small area for example) - that also causes desync, people "popping", texture loss, etc.

Unfortunately, some of those issues (namely the last two) also happen on other RageMP servers that have very few mods 😕 

Now they may still play a part, but to understand how big (or small) a part, we need to start properly separating the problems ^^' 

2 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

A friend of mine has a PC with an "old" HDD, 5400 tpm. As a consequence, he often gets into accidents when there's a lot of people in the same area: other players and cars take 30+ seconds to load ^^' But he has the same problem on vanilla servers. The issue is twofold: the old HDD AND the amount of stuff RageMP has to send him - which in turns means his old HDD has to load a lot of stuff.

When there's not a lot of people online though, he has zero problems, which would point more at a problem of "too many people online = too much shit to stream = HDD struggles and texture losses". Similarly, already in 2018 when RageMP was first introduced, I've had problems with the ground not loading in a specific area around Vinewood Hills, whenever the server hit 100+ people online. 

So, I think there is a confusion between several separate issues.

- FPS drops, those could maybe be caused by mods, sure.

- RageMP being unable to stream enough information quickly enough, when there's a lot of people online at the same time - that causes desync, people "popping", texture loss, ...

- People's individual computers having trouble loading in enough information, when RageMP sends a lot of it all at the same time (if there's a lot of people in the same small area for example) - that also causes desync, people "popping", texture loss, etc.

Unfortunately, some of those issues (namely the last two) also happen on other RageMP servers that have very few mods 😕 

Now they may still play a part, but to understand how big (or small) a part, we need to start properly separating the problems ^^' 

It's been proven that people with HDD's will always have issues, it's a GTA V problem not a RAGE:MP one. And as for a 5400RPM HDD, well............... Yeah, that's history.

There's nothing wrong with the mods.

• Wuhtah locked this topic