RICO and disbanding factions

BadassBaboon

8 hours ago, GamerX said:

What's wrong with adding federal law enforcement RP ? It creates more immersion and opportunities. 

It would require too many resources with not enough payoff and workarounds for what they’d bring to the table can be figured out an utilized by existing law enforcement.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:41 AM, GamerX said:

What's wrong with adding federal law enforcement RP ? It creates more immersion and opportunities. 

Probably the last thing we need, a fifth law enforcement faction that'd have federal authority.

Factions shouldn't be disbanded or closed, in most cases. Realistically speaking, even if you bust enough members of a group, you'll likely not get every single person and there'll always be others to step up and continue. 

My problem with RICO cases and busting big factions is that to be honest... it just makes nobody a good service in the long run. I love the idea of cat and mouse games between organized crime and the police, and people having to be original and imaginative to get away from charges but...

... big organized busts by definition tend to shut down good illegal RP, because they're the ones being good sports about it and letting investigations go their course, or are not trying to metagame or DC their way out of getting busted. In my humble opinion the people you want to punish hard are the ones who are obvious and absolutely blatant about their crimimal activities, and you don't really need such a complicated investigation for that.

13 hours ago, Koko said:

My problem with RICO cases and busting big factions is that to be honest... it just makes nobody a good service in the long run. I love the idea of cat and mouse games between organized crime and the police, and people having to be original and imaginative to get away from charges but...

... big organized busts by definition tend to shut down good illegal RP, because they're the ones being good sports about it and letting investigations go their course, or are not trying to metagame or DC their way out of getting busted. In my humble opinion the people you want to punish hard are the ones who are obvious and absolutely blatant about their crimimal activities, and you don't really need such a complicated investigation for that.

Kind of have to agree with this. I love the idea behind RICO cases and the theory that it will push criminal factions to become more imaginative, but you don't want to punish a good faction by shutting it down this way. Good factions will ultimately go along with these investigations as @Koko said, since it brings a lot of interesting RP to the table for everyone involved. Maybe consider a different approach that would enforce temporary measures or guidelines meant to temporarily put that group or faction at a disadvantage, rather than a permanent closure. Give them a chance to build back through IC measures and give the leaders a choice on whether or not they want to continue the faction in a different way. Don't take that choice away unless its for an OOC reason like repeated rule breaking or RPQM involvement for low RP standards. We want to encourage faction continuity and longevity, if its kept up to standards.

Edited by Mindbag

Wrong preceptive again guys, you are not "punishing" any factions, if a faction is not careful enough, they might get RICO'd, and if you're going to have some form of immunity or BOTD for long existing factions, might as well not have RICO at all.

EDIT:

Also, RICO hit that'd close a faction could take a year or more to build. And having leaders or members dead to rights is going be extremely difficult for OCG/LCN factions since they're logically a lot more careful, if they act stupid and get caught, it's their fault.

For how long should LEOs be pussyfooting around with mediocre police work while a LCN faction can go around, extortion, killing, robbing, scheming, and doing whatever they want without a worry in the world, without any precautions?

Edited by BadassBaboon
  • Upvote 4
1 hour ago, BadassBaboon said:

Wrong preceptive again guys, you are not "punishing" any factions, if a faction is not careful enough, they might get RICO'd, and if you're going to have some form of immunity or BOTD for long existing factions, might as well not have RICO at all.

EDIT:

Also, RICO hit that'd close a faction could take a year or more to build. And having leaders or members dead to rights is going be extremely difficult for OCG/LCN factions since they're logically a lot more careful, if they act stupid and get caught, it's their fault.

For how long should LEOs be pussyfooting around with mediocre police work while a LCN faction can go around, extortion, killing, robbing, scheming, and doing whatever they want without a worry in the world, without any precautions?

This. Ran out of likes.

2 hours ago, BadassBaboon said:

EDIT:

This would probably only work if both sides agree to roleplay a RICO bust. Otherwise, both sides will be fighting to the death to save themselves. Even smaller scale investigations into OCGs by law enforcement factions have resulted in OOC tension between the two because both try too hard to outplay the other. I can't imagine the amount of voids, reports, etc. that's gonna happen if a RICO bust was about to go down. Myself personally, I wouldn't bother investigating if the faction being investigated isn't invested/doesn't see the worth in the RP. And as everyone else already said, SD Detective Division isn't meant to force these guys to take Ls, if the RP isn't meaningful don't bother.

A big case on an organized crime group was voided once, and ever since, nobody is really touching OCGs anymore. Months of effort got voided. I've been wondering the same for a very long time but then I realized that there are a couple of reasons why.

I can't speak for every member of an LEO faction, but I would personally be happy arresting every person in a crime, and pushing racketeering when it's relevant, but I have absolutely no interest in killing off peoples factions based on that.  I'd rather see these factions go through the loss of their hierarchy and others stepping in to fill the gaps than see people getting forced off a concept they were really enjoying because a percentage of said faction was gone.   

In real life, even if you took out the entire hierarchy of an OCG, or the entire regional leadership of a multi-chapter motorcycle club there would still be new people taking the reigns straight after and if we don't afford people those opportunities the server will just be closer to cops and robbers, with end goals of investigations being to shut down other peoples roleplay.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Invictus said:

A big case on an organized crime group was voided once, and ever since, nobody is really touching OCGs anymore. Months of effort got voided. I've been wondering the same for a very long time but then I realized that there are a couple of reasons why.

I think everybody forgot the fact that the Major Crimes Bureau in LSSD, closed down a faction last year, without the use of RICO.
Magellan Avenue Crew was investigated for several months, leading to several people jumping the ship and becoming Confidential Informants.
After several leadership figures got sentenced for Drug trafficking and murder charges, the rest went AFK and the faction leadership closed the curtains.

I my self was part of this investigation and am currently still working OCG's, and to say that nobody really is touching them anymore, because another said LEO faction messed up, is wrong imo. Our OOC goal is not to shut down factions, but in character wise, that is my job and I'm doing my best to get as many behind bars as I can.

ORGANIZED crime should be that, ORGANIZED. If you truly are organized and go beyond to cover your tracks, no Rico law will be able to touch you. I believe it would bring an incentive for factions to be more secretive and less public with their business (even if they already are doing that on an acceptable level).

I'm for it, but even if it does not come through, we'll be doing our jobs.

• Wuhtah locked this topic