RICO and disbanding factions

BadassBaboon

As a LEO rper in another server that implemented disbanding factions through IC means, i don't find it enjoyable at all. It resulted in a good faction with long development and fair-play mentality to suddenly disappear. Who would want to rp a LEO without those type of illegal factions anyways?

Edited by Callu
  • Upvote 1
16 hours ago, BadassBaboon said:

Can PD and/or SD disband a faction by hitting them with the RICO act? If they have enough incriminating evidence to convict a faction leader for example, or perhaps incarcerate a great number of their members to basically shrink the faction out of existence (remaining members being forced to run away or go into hiding, etc...)

Imagine if Federal Gov RP was a thing in this community.. 

5 hours ago, Dreams & Nightmares said:

It shouldn’t shut down the faction completely, but arrest the key figures and known affiliates. If the remaining members can’t continue ICly, then the PD/SD did an amazing job.

Arresting the key affiliates/OOC leadership will shut down 99% of factions

8 minutes ago, imi said:

Arresting the key affiliates/OOC leadership will shut down 99% of factions

I doubt it, they'd just put their second in command to take care of the things on the outside until they're released eventually, if by some miracle they get life, they'll just have the second in command to take over.

1 minute ago, BadassBaboon said:

I doubt it, they'd just put their second in command to take care of the things on the outside until they're released eventually, if by some miracle they get life, they'll just have the second in command to take over.

not at all how it works.

speaking from an investigative standpoint, RICO would destroy our rp.  the fun in legal/illegal rp is the cat and mouse game.  if the cat catches all of the mice, it doesn't have anything else to hunt.

when you line up an organization for RICO charges you arrest the entire organization and charge them together, so the whole point of a completed rico case would be the complete and absolute decimation of the organization.

which obviously isn't fun for illegal factions- and, for the reason i already explained, it wouldn't be fun for legal factions either.

irl the law isn't meant to be "balanced" against the criminal underworld, but for the sake of rp, it needs to be on the server.

Many factions disband within two months anyway, only serious ones remaining. Because people see something in TV and hype up for it, then they become bored with it and shut it down on their own. But as others said already, gangs are tough factions to shut down and dissolve, mainly because they can operate behind bars too.

Edited by Engelbert

I don’t really like that the only roleplay with LEO’s is traffic stops followed by a random frisk. It gives the server a cops and robbers feel where cops that are camping in south central will intentionally pull over a car with four hispanic\black name tags and look for the smallest reason to search them. I would rather lose my entire stash of guns through an actual investigation with good roleplay rather than a random warrant being made because they found a gun on me during a traffic stop that started because I didn’t stop at an intersection. As an illegal roleplayers I think factions should be held accountable for their IC actions, if they shoot cops then they should realistically be investigated and if they get cracked down enough then they should get shut down. It would promote factions to move better and smarter rather than shoot at cops because they don’t wanna lose their 25k pistol.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

I remember my time as a Detective back in 2018/2019, factions really aren't careful about covering their tracks and most of the illegal factions could've been shut down on the spot, but yeah you're not allowed to close factions unless they fit a specific set of circumstances. We were allowed to shut down one, but that's because they decided to do a gang hit on the LSPD HQ to kill the lead detective and got utterly clapped in the firefight which followed. 

But yeah, occasionally you can shut them down, but its mainly if they go after LEO's then LEO's get given the green light to strike, if they don't go after LEO's they cant be shut down pre much. 

7 hours ago, Dreams & Nightmares said:

It shouldn’t shut down the faction completely, but arrest the key figures and known affiliates. If the remaining members can’t continue ICly, then the PD/SD did an amazing job.

^ This.

It'd be great to heavily cripple factions. These effects could cause OCGs and street gangs to be extra careful to evade such investigations and arrests, in the future.

Some of you guys have to know, RICO wouldn't "kill" RP. Building an actual case takes months, I recall back on LSRP it took a whole year for one investigation to get concluded with a major RICO hit. It's not like cops would be able to disband a faction a few days after their investigation and what not. And the entire point of it is to go after established factions, not the throwaway ones, but either way? there should be consequences for whatever a faction does, not just killing cops, because right now they can get away with almost everything scot free.

• Wuhtah locked this topic