Brawling Weapons

Lexy

So, my experience so far with weapons such as dusters and baseball bats have been... you draw them during a brawl and the other person goes straight for a gun to simply kill you for it.

I've seen reports over this, the victims reporting the shooter for 'poor escalation', saying, "Yo, he killed me over a brawl! I just wanted to beat him with a duster/bat, that's all."

The admins are mostly siding with the shooter, using the excuse, "a duster and a baseball bat can kill a person if you hit them hard enough. It's OK to shoot them in that case."

That should change. It just supports DM mentality. A lot of people are very trigger happy and hungry for PKs. Yes, dusters and baseball bats can kill people, but people can die during fist fight as well if it's intense enough. If one person kills the other over a brawl (be it with fists, dusters or baseball bats), punish them for DM and poor escalation. Same should go for people who use guns in a brawl, agaisnt people with fists, dusters and baseball bats.

Here is the suggestion...

Create a new rule regarding using certain weapons in a brawl. Punish the trigger happy players who go straight for 'shooting' at players who use those specific brawling weapons, such as... dusters and baseball bats (maybe hammers too, not sure about that. Not the knives though, you see someone drawing a knife in a brawl? Smoke dat bich.) Make those weapons for 'brawls' specifically, have them treated like fists are right now. (As in— right now... you can't shoot people if they're fighting you with fists. It's against the rules) 

It will be more fun for everybody, a group of people who really don't like each other beating the shit out of each other with those 'brawling weapons' instead of skipping straight to guns, which is how it usually goes on this server.

However... 

If you are alone and have like two or more people coming at you with dusters or baseball bats— and you posses a gun, it's OK to fear for your life and grab the gun... And aim it at them. They keep coming at you? Shoot. They stop attacking you? Tell them to back off. But don't just gun them down for drawing those weapons in a basic brawl. Not without warning first. 

4 minutes ago, Tammm said:

Punish the trigger happy players who go straight for 'shooting' at players who use those specific brawling weapons, such as... dusters and baseball bats (maybe hammers too, not sure about that.

A baseball bat can cause SERIOUS damage. Other than running - are you going into a fight with fists if the other person had a baseball bat? I think it’s suitable escalation to at least use threat of a firearm in this situation.

6 minutes ago, OliHaydes said:

A baseball bat can cause SERIOUS damage. Other than running - are you going into a fight with fists if the other person had a baseball bat? I think it’s suitable escalation to at least use threat of a firearm in this situation.

You got a gun? Threaten them with it. Got a duster? Brawl it out. Or just run away, sounds like the most realistic and reasonable thing to do.

While I don't think it's poor escalation to shoot someone who is more than likely about to beat you to death, it certainly is terrible rp most of the time. When's the last time you saw some PF civi murder someone and rp the mental ramifications of doing so? The severe ptsd from murdering someone? I've very rarely seen it played out, most of the time it's "he was a bad guy he deserves to die" and they just move on like they're some stone cold killer psychopath. My point is, I think we should require murder to be treated more seriously on this server, for both the person with the melee weapon and the shooter so that we'd perhaps see less people throwing their lives away over someone making fun of their shoes. 

Edited by Torlo

What's wrong with just using fists in a fight? Most melee weapons we have available to us are more than capable of killing or doing some serious damage in a hit or two realistically. I do agree that there can always be more brawls though rather than people just shooting each other. 

Sure, normal fist-fights can cause serious damages, even death in some cases, but the chance of something serious happening increases exponentially if someone pulls out any type of weapon. Even script-wisely, being hit with a bat will ultimately end the fight in 2-3 hits, same goes for all other weapons. If someone does that, it can be countered with gunfire - if they don't, you can't just pull a gun and randomly shoot during a brawl, as that'd be considered deathmatching.

What such rule would do is actually encourage people to bring weapons to fist-fights. Why? Because unlike now, when doing such could be met with something worse (being shot), the rule would prohibit that, so people could simply pull out bats and knives and win the fight without anyone being able to do anything. No, you can't really brandish your weapon without shooting - in the heat of the moment, most people wouldn't even notice that, you'd be punched before managing to or even if you do manage to do it, it's unlikely you'll accomplish anything.

At the end of the day, a bat can be as deadly as a gunshot. You might live from a gunshot, you might die from a serious hit. Dusters too. Knives as well, obviously, same for hammers, wrenches and whatever other stuff people use. It's serious. If you get jabbed with a 5kg heavy-duty metal wrench swung at your head by a violent, enraged muscular person, you're done.