Protesting, a good way to make IC change?

Mistery14

The complete answer of this question stands on the point of how people are actually looking to roleplay this, what kind of IC background is behind this whole protest and and as the point of view of an average civilian, does it make sense? Not considering the fact that protests might be peaceful/unpeaceful when people try to take part in them, it's makes the most sense if they're all sharing a certain ideology or idea. Simply because they're putting time and energy for something like this. Now I'm going through this whole thing as a complete IC point of view. If some people say it won't make any IC differences, then I think the problem is in fact being somewhere else. There's an underrated concept of political RP not gaining that much attention from the quality and motivated roleplayers. I've never encountered them so far but I don't really think that's some hot and popular concept for people to RP them, voting for legislation related to the state laws and stuff like that. If those stuff were enough to get a good amount of attention, then protests would not be such a pointless thing. In fact, with a proper IC leadership, these things might come to a result. Simply because it never happened ICly it doesn't mean it can't take place, specially these days most of the legal RPers are interested in new and creative ideas. 

With all these being said, you may not see the protests being RPed as something more than a simple platform for people DMing each other or cops opening fire at minors, turning the whole scene into a ridiculous show, and after something like half an hour, not a single players know what he's actually RPing. The real life concept of protests turning to a total mess and riot-like events is something powerful and inspiring enough for the average civilians to take risk of getting injured/arrested in exchange for proving something to the government/other people. When the roleplayer's mindset is something rather different or pointless, we can't expect these stuff to actually go anywhere, so in most cases, it will be just an interesting event for those who want to provoke/shoot guns. 

My honest opinion? If you're interested in this topic just about enough to put some effort into it, plan to organize it just a little bit differently, get in touch with a few reporters or even if you can, IC politicians, ask for help from different types of people, not specifically illegal ones. If these stuff being done with a proper IC logic behind them, I doubt if any limitation can be set for them. 

2 hours ago, MrWussWuss said:

As long as you PEACABLY protest, go for it. I think it's excellent. Yell at cops, insult them, demand change, whatever. But almost every single protest I've heard of has turned into a riot which has then turned into a shootout which is just so, so, so demotivating for every cop involved. 

It's not fun. It's chaotic. It's mentally draining to deal with 50 people running around trying to kill cops or whatever left-right-center. I always log off before protests exactly for this reason. 

Exactly. I took part in some protests, thought it'd be a more unique to develop my character, but they turned into exactly that. Dozens of people zig-zagging around, punching, shooting, kicking, yelling trollish stuff, while the city is literally barricaded and dozens more LEOs fighting back, and everyone acts as if they didn't expect exactly that. And every single protest since it's been a carbon-copy of this exact thing, bar the location. There's no role-play, no character development, no purpose and no point in organizing or taking part in such protests, all while there's extreme lag and the chat is flooded with spam.

I might as well patrol an empty city or hang out with two random people and have a meaningful interaction with them.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, FinalPA said:

My honest opinion? If you're interested in this topic just about enough to put some effort into it, plan to organize it just a little bit differently, get in touch with a few reporters or even if you can, IC politicians, ask for help from different types of people, not specifically illegal ones. If these stuff being done with a proper IC logic behind them, I doubt if any limitation can be set for them. 

The problem is that you can't really do anything about the trouble-makers. Even if you magically manage to organize a peaceful or at least a meaningful protest, you only need 2-3 people to start a mess and everyone else will join. You can't do anything about it, not ICly nor OOCly, unless the protest is OOCly said to be a peaceful one beforehand and anyone disobeying that receiving punishments. Even if, you'll still have some people start something and by the time it's over, it can't be voided - the thing is ruined.

27 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

The problem is that you can't really do anything about the trouble-makers. Even if you magically manage to organize a peaceful or at least a meaningful protest, you only need 2-3 people to start a mess and everyone else will join. You can't do anything about it, not ICly nor OOCly, unless the protest is OOCly said to be a peaceful one beforehand and anyone disobeying that receiving punishments. Even if, you'll still have some people start something and by the time it's over, it can't be voided - the thing is ruined.

I don't say it necessarily needs to be peaceful or anything, needless to mention some of the real life protests only get results from harsh acts of the protesters. If the players behind the characters be mature enough to act realistically in front of such events, there would be a chance for these protests to not actually turn into a DM fest. But from the things I've seen recently? It was only an event for undeveloped characters to come up and start provoking the law enforcement for nothing, exactly nothing. This was what they've been doing instead of going through 'facts' and actually demanding something during the protests. Of course making such maturity is not something  being done just this easy, takes more afford that they put previously for the protests, but again, It's not impossible.  

• Wuhtah locked this topic