Protesting, a good way to make IC change?

Mistery14

19 hours ago, Mistery14 said:

I'm sure that there could be still a better way to keep things as IC as possible, what I'm about to say might sound very stupid but it sort of makes sense still, to me:

LFM are still players on the server as far as I know, do you think it'd be far fetched to have them assume the role of the Senate IC? Or, have the Senate, in turn, have a say within LFM when it comes to laws or should that strictly remain OOC?

I agree with a lot of comments here, including yours. And it's no doubt that protests aren't taken as seriously as they should, wish it was different, because such RP is supposed to bring a lot, providing dynamic change to the server in a way that isn't as sudden as it would be if it were to be done OOC. 

Or maybe we could have it the other way around - LFM's initiatives to be ICly discussed and approved/disapproved within the senate, or overall give any such changes a more IC vibe - like factions being alotted various huge/small budgets, for example, or various rules. And in turn, the senate could role-play stuff that would then be pushed onto LFM for a final say and action an plan. However, that OOC factor will always be there, as it's impossible to remove without severe consequences.

Regarding protests, I don't think they will ever be a source of valuable character development. At this point they should simply be disallowed on an OOC level, really. All they are is people announcing a peaceful protest, law enforcement barricading stuff like it's the Portland lootings, people staging up and then, within 20 minutes, there's a full on city-wide tactical alert due to the massive massacre that's going on in [insert location here]. It's always the same thing, over and over again. 

1 minute ago, Mahitto said:

Or maybe we could have it the other way around - LFM's initiatives to be ICly discussed and approved/disapproved within the senate, or overall give any such changes a more IC vibe - like factions being alotted various huge/small budgets, for example, or various rules. And in turn, the senate could role-play stuff that would then be pushed onto LFM for a final say and action an plan. However, that OOC factor will always be there, as it's impossible to remove without severe consequences.

Regarding protests, I don't think they will ever be a source of valuable character development. At this point they should simply be disallowed on an OOC level, really. All they are is people announcing a peaceful protest, law enforcement barricading stuff like it's the Portland lootings, people staging up and then, within 20 minutes, there's a full on city-wide tactical alert due to the massive massacre that's going on in [insert location here]. It's always the same thing, over and over again. 

Oh I think the OOC factor should most definitely stay and be present. I don't think it's a problem at all and in fact, it'd be a problem if it weren't there. That's a pretty good idea though I'd say, it's better than having it all strictly happen OOC, that's for sure. 

As for the protests themselves, the fact that you can't see character development happen is a sad thing to hear, but I understand where you're coming from on this. It's hard to see the potential in character development in protests when they've been all but pleasant to experience for a lot of people, a thing that would help I think would be for civilians to mutually agree that they will not turn the protest into a riot - In most protests there is one or more leaders that brief the protestants into why they're here, reminding them that violence and looting is not the right thing. - Hell, peaceful protestants could even call off a protest when it turns violent.

The problem isn't the 2 - 3 violent people in a batch of 50 peaceful protestants, the problem is when those 50 peaceful protestants decide to follow the 2 - 3 violent people into turning the protest into a riot - Which is what baffles me. They could separate themselves physically from them and allow law enforcement to pick them from the batch of good protestants to make it easier to keep the protest as peaceful as they can.

23 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

You know how people, in real life, handle peaceful protests while preventing violent groups from taking over? They file their names on a form and submit it to the police department. 

There's so many ways where a protest can be possible. This can include organizing unions to strike, shutting down businesses, blockades, suing the government or a company as a collective, and even petitioning.

The BLM protests sort of re-enacted exactly what happened in the U.S... mass-riots, kidnappings, and death.

Alternative protests would not function, the same, as it would not attract the gang community. I.E. Protesting on a bill that affects the average citizen or requesting for an increase wage in XXX government institution.

Chinatown was armed, during the entire incident, with masks equipped on to their faces. They were not assaulted, by police, as they self-proclaimed that they were only present to protect businesses around Chinatown.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1

Protests will never work because basic democracy doesn't even work in the server. You need the ability to protest for tangible legislative change in order to make any sort of change. All we get through the current Senate system is mild ammendments to laws that ultimately very rarely change the landscape. All rulings that have an impact are OOC via changes to the rules.

It was tried in full with the pretend political RP that was created around the LSGOV faction in its last iteration, from the city mayoral elections to the Senato, with elections that for all intents and purposes were entirely rigged and with fiascos like weed legalization which were swept under the rug for OOC reasons.

The server doesn't want to give any significant form of legislative power to players so protesting IC to get the attention of people who can't really change that much really is for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you PEACABLY protest, go for it. I think it's excellent. Yell at cops, insult them, demand change, whatever. But almost every single protest I've heard of has turned into a riot which has then turned into a shootout which is just so, so, so demotivating for every cop involved. 

It's not fun. It's chaotic. It's mentally draining to deal with 50 people running around trying to kill cops or whatever left-right-center. I always log off before protests exactly for this reason. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic