Protesting, a good way to make IC change?

Mistery14

They'd be effective if they were conducted, properly. Protests can also include, but are not limited to, blockades, boycotts, striking, and even judicial action, where a collective can sue a company and/or institution for a legitimate reason.

One thing that would be great to observe would be Union-related strikes. Shut down the ports or trucking companies for two weeks, and you'll observe changes.

Just like in the real world? Standing around and waving a sign will not change anything. Protests are effective when they impact the flow of the economy or the stability of an area.

Edited by DLimit

Protests are pointless because most rpers who participate in them just want an excuse to DM. You'll never have good protest RP because all it takes is two people to incite a "riot". GTAW is a culture of unnecessary violence where everybody is a psychopath with no remorse or forethought.

Edited by L I C E
  • Upvote 4
15 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

While this is good, as long as I can’t vote for my senator, I have no actual influence on politics, and as such, do not really care what happens with it.

The topic of elections are extremely complex for a roleplay server, and while I definitely understand the argument, I think that completely disassociating with or failing to participate completely just because of that is not the right way to go about it. I think that people need to take advantage of what's currently available.

3 hours ago, DLimit said:

They'd be effective if they were conducted, properly. Protests can also include, but are not limited to, blockades, boycotts, striking, and even judicial action, where a collective can sue a company and/or institution for a legitimate reason.

One thing that would be great to observe would be Union-related strikes. Shut down the ports or trucking companies for two weeks, and you'll observe changes.

Just like in the real world? Standing around and waving a sign will not change anything. Protests are effective when they impact the flow of the economy or the stability of an area.

I actually want to say that this is true and was nice to read. Here in my city, the Department of Sanitation will just not pick up people's garbage and the curbs get full and the mayor is pressured to make changes that they want. 

Edited by Zani
3 hours ago, L I C E said:

Protests are pointless because most rpers who participate in them just want an excuse to DM. You'll never have good protest RP because all other takes is two people to incite a "riot". GTAW is a culture of unnecessary violence where everybody is a psychopath with no remorse or forethought.

This.

20 minutes ago, Zani said:

The topic of elections are extremely complex for a roleplay server, and while I definitely understand the argument, I think that completely disassociating with or failing to participate completely just because of that is not the right way to go about it. I think that people need to take advantage of what's currently available.

While I agree that something is better than nothing, the staff team should still understand the frustrations of the player base when it comes to feeling disenfranchised by the server's current political system. Aside from not being able to vote for specific senators/representatives, there's still plenty of debate over the IC power the senate has in the first place. the entire senate voted for the legalization of marijuana which is realistic to the state the server is based upon (Marijuana has been legal in California for Medical use since 1996 and later legalized for recreational use in 2016), and would ICly benefit a great many people and the vote was OOCly blocked due to 'certain concerns'

Many real-life democracies have seen waning turnouts at elections specifically because of voter dissatisfaction. Of course the player base is going to naturally disassociate from political roleplay when they're not only deprived of an ability to vote for their own representation, but reasonable and highly agreed upon decisions are blocked by faction management.

If you desire for the playerbase to participate in the IC governmental processes, depriving them of incentives will always have an adverse effect.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

While I agree that something is better than nothing, the staff team should still understand the frustrations of the player base when it comes to feeling disenfranchised by the server's current political system. Aside from not being able to vote for specific senators/representatives, there's still plenty of debate over the IC power the senate has in the first place. the entire senate voted for the legalization of marijuana which is realistic to the state the server is based upon (Marijuana has been legal in California for Medical use since 1996 and later legalized for recreational use in 2016), and would ICly benefit a great many people and the vote was OOCly blocked due to 'certain concerns'.

This is unfortunately just the state of legal roleplay. It happens in the government, it happens frequently in legal factions from my experience with LEOs. It's very much the 'we're realistic when it's convenient'. They enforce a policy strictly because the real life equivalent does not or will not do so, and then make entirely different decisions to the real life equivalent on personal preferences because we're 'divergent' from them. You can't have your cake and eat it too, and you can't say you are reflecting your real life equivalent when you pick and choose when to do so.

Besides the point, most people have taken protests and abused them at this point. I'm not in favor of OOCly restricting protests, but I don't think anything good can come out of them when even protests outside of Davis like at the city hall are turned violent by a few bad actors. The protests of 2020 were motivated OOC - they were told they couldn't roleplay the real life protests and found an excuse to throw hands. I'm on the 'I wish they could be organized, but they probably won't be' boat.

I tend to swerve away from any protests whatsoever. In my experience on both GTA World and literally every single other server I've ever played on, protests are always an excuse for trollish behavior and DM. Sure, not for everyone, but you only need a small minority to bring everything down. Just look at every single protest we've had on GTA World - it always turns into a DM fest, shootings, rammings and other Afghanistanesque stuff.

And they can't really bring any IC change, no. Any significant change will have to be extensively looked into by LFM in order to make sure that implementing such change is realistic, fits the context and will not completely mess up the server or environment. And there's no way to circumvent it - it's the same reason why the Senate can't (and shouldn't) have much power, unless it's OOCly backed by LFM.

21 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I tend to swerve away from any protests whatsoever. In my experience on both GTA World and literally every single other server I've ever played on, protests are always an excuse for trollish behavior and DM. Sure, not for everyone, but you only need a small minority to bring everything down. Just look at every single protest we've had on GTA World - it always turns into a DM fest, shootings, rammings and other Afghanistanesque stuff.

And they can't really bring any IC change, no. Any significant change will have to be extensively looked into by LFM in order to make sure that implementing such change is realistic, fits the context and will not completely mess up the server or environment. And there's no way to circumvent it - it's the same reason why the Senate can't (and shouldn't) have much power, unless it's OOCly backed by LFM.

I'm sure that there could be still a better way to keep things as IC as possible, what I'm about to say might sound very stupid but it sort of makes sense still, to me:

LFM are still players on the server as far as I know, do you think it'd be far fetched to have them assume the role of the Senate IC? Or, have the Senate, in turn, have a say within LFM when it comes to laws or should that strictly remain OOC?

I agree with a lot of comments here, including yours. And it's no doubt that protests aren't taken as seriously as they should, wish it was different, because such RP is supposed to bring a lot, providing dynamic change to the server in a way that isn't as sudden as it would be if it were to be done OOC. 

Edited by Mistery14
  • Wuhtah locked this topic