Protesting, a good way to make IC change?

Mistery14

Hi, this thread is going to address a subject that I've had on my mind for some time now. 

We've seen protests take place in times of controversy, whether it's with the various Law enforcement departments or Gruppe 6 for example for the most recent and well-known, but, should protesting stop there, lurking behind controversies? Or should protesting become a little more relevant to the everyday life of the citizens of Los Santos in relation to what they experience?

It's important to separate IC from OOC and we all know that. But I think we might be missing something. When people complain in OOC about an IC issue, they'll voice their concerns or show their displeasure on the forum or discord and it'll most likely stop there for a while until an OOC barrier is put in place, when in reality their characters are going to keep experiencing the same problem under a different form afterwards, which in turn will lead to more OOC complaints - But what if characters could, in fact, complain? 

Protesting isn't only supposed to be an event to allow people to lash out into a riot and cause trouble here and there for a night, it's an actual right that each civilian has to voice a big enough concern in order to suggest a change to the government. Why isn't it utlized as much? People can already organize events such as festivals, car meets and the like, so it makes little sense to exclude that. 

What do you think? Should player-made protests be more prevalent, and is it of any use?

From a LEO standpoint which has participated in protests, namely, last summer's Davis riot under LSSD as one LSSD member shot dead a minor:

No.

The initial thought put into a protest is really nice, it can be really well executed if people get around to plan / brief their plan before hitting the streets, but sadly, it's not something we see. All of these "Protests" turn into riots, where it becomes an excuse for randoms to hit LEOs and get bean-bagged. 

Minor protests, with not so many participants, can have said plannification done, due to the reduced number of individuals that require the briefing, and can be pretty enjoyable for everyone involved, as seen in IRL protests, some LEOs might even agree with your standpoints if you express them in a protest instead of hitting them over the head with a hammer in a riot. 

But big protests? They always turn into riots, just look back at the ones we've already had. 

If you know everyone who's gonna be involved with it can RP, hell, go for it, make yourself a group of 50 people for a protest, but make sure you know they can roleplay properly, in that case, I do believe it can lead to IC change.

Edited by Santanaa
  • Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Santanaa said:

From a LEO standpoint which has participated in protests, namely, last summer's Davis riot under LSSD as one LSSD member shot dead a minor:

No.

The initial thought put into a protest is really nice, it can be really well executed if people get around to plan / brief their plan before hitting the streets, but sadly, it's not something we see. All of these "Protests" turn into riots, where it becomes an excuse for randoms to hit LEOs and get bean-bagged. 

Minor protests, with not so many participants, can have said plannification done, due to the reduced number of individuals that require the briefing, and can be pretty enjoyable for everyone involved, as seen in IRL protests, some LEOs might even agree with your standpoints if you express them in a protest instead of hitting them over the head with a hammer in a riot. 

But big protests? They always turn into riots, just look back at the ones we've already had. 

If you know everyone who's gonna be involved with it can RP, hell, go for it, make yourself a group of 50 people for a protest, but make sure you know they can roleplay properly, in that case, I do believe it can lead to IC change.

Are there any protests that weren't already meant to turn into riots in those that already happened? 

Because there is a difference between organizing a planned riot (as an event) which takes a lot of time to put in place and to execute, as opposed to having civilians organize a peaceful protest that doesn't start in sensitive areas such as in Davis like the previous one. (It starting it Davis made sense and was in context to the event, don't get me wrong) But say an area like Legion Square or else. A lot of factors can help reduce the likelihood of a protest to turn violent. Of course there's always going to be a handful of people who are going to cause trouble, but said peaceful protesters simply have to stick to the original peaceful mindset of the protest, and not follow the violent individuals, allowing LEO to pick at the violent ones easily to keep it all in check.

I do agree with you though, these need plausible reason to happen in the first place and planning, explaining why they're there. You can't just expect people to join a protest for the fun of it, especially if it's not supposed to turn violent, that I can very much agree with.

Edited by Mistery14

People have memories of goldfishes IC, so no protest will ever really be meaningful until people start remembering why they're protesting. 

Looking back at the G6 incident, as a company there would be zero recovery after what happened. They lost major contracts, had a shitty stint of PR and generally made mistake after mistake, losing in court multiple times etc. - but people were still happy to hire them a week later. (Which, in terms of people's fun within the faction isn't a bad thing). 

People just use the excuse of protest to turn it into a riot to have a night of chaos. The recent one turned into a riot 10-15 minutes before the actual start-time. The way SD handle riots now is the way it has to be, they don't mess around and they'll shut it down instantly.

During the recent protest, the Chinatown folk all banded together to protect their home around MRS. Fortunately, the riot didn't make it that far but it was still some fun RP. But when you have white people showing up to MRS for a black protest asking, "Where's the riot at!?" and trying to antagonize the cops stood outside the station, you realize that these things will never really work.

I'm sure some good RP does generate from these protests but the majority of it is just an excuse to have a night off and go a little wild. How many times has the Fire Station been raided by protestors at this point?

Generally, you can make a good guess at how an organized protest will start. Meeting ground > Davis (where it gets shut down by SD) > MRS/Legion (where it gets shut down by PD) > City Hall. If people actually wanted to protest genuine issues, I believe it would be entirely possible IF it was in collaboration with PD/SD - as in, pre-arranging a place/time and setting up a blockade to place the protestors within. Also, choosing anywhere other than Davis would be a good start.

• Applaud 1
7 minutes ago, Goonbag said:

I’d prefer it. 

Complain IC about the IC robberies you’re facing instead of clogging up the forums with OOC complaints. 

This, Goonbag for me hit the nail on the head.

Take for example the current issue with truckers getting robbed; if truckers stop doing deliveries the economy and businesses comes to a halt. In real life the government would have to step in and fix the issue or make a positive step towards doing that, the truckers wouldn't be protesting as such just withholding their labour which in turn would hold business owners hostage until the robbery issue is fixed.

3 minutes ago, K3V said:

This, Goonbag for me hit the nail on the head.

Take for example the current issue with truckers getting robbed; if truckers stop doing deliveries the economy and businesses comes to a halt. In real life the government would have to step in and fix the issue or make a positive step towards doing that, the truckers wouldn't be protesting as such just withholding their labour which in turn would hold business owners hostage until the robbery issue is fixed.

It's a list of practically endless possibilities for RP. 

If truckers stop doing deliveries, people are going to be concerned and they will look into what made said truckers stop delivering goods, which in turn could make them supportive of the truckers' cause, instead of just saying "What a bunch of lazy *ssholes" and to look elsewhere for a while until it fixes itself somehow or truckers push through it waiting until an OOC barrier is put in place.

It's a shame, really. There's a lot of things that could be done IC that is just swept under the carpet until people deem it's no longer an IC but an OOC issue, which is then fixed with more OOC rules. 

Now yes, there sure are a lot of things that need OOC intervention, but not every little thing does. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly? This server is not ready for protests. It'll always turn into a shootout with the amount of trollers this server has. 

Even if the protests go well, there won't be any IC change. People always complain on forums instead of actually doing something IC. Everyone complains about the high crime rate but there were no efforts to actually battle it. Instead of that we have a new forum thread bitching about gang roleplayers every other day.

• Wuhtah locked this topic