CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

The idea for applicants to show "good cause justification" is something firearm licensing units IRL use in many states, NYC (where I reside) being one of the places. While I think it's realistic, I think the licensing unit should show applicants a little more leniency on what they feel is justification for being issued a CCW. Realistically speaking, a threat to your life is not the only justification for being issued a CCW. CCW's are issued to business owners / management for both protection of the business and transportation of cash deposits IRL. CCW's are also issued to people like cab drivers, this being the fact that there may one day be an incident where that driver will be required to defend themselves against a threat to their life while on the job. Moving onto banning applicants who are denied, I think that's stupid. If you want to implement a cool-down on being able to re apply after being denied, do that. Banning someone from applying for 30 days in my opinion doesn't make any sense to me nor does it seem logical. I think it sets the wrong image to future applicants' idea on how the application process will go. The idea is to prevent poor character portrayal and prevent unrealistic characters from abusing their CCW however I think that for the sake of this being a game, show leniency.

My idea:

Instead of using "good cause justification," why not just narrow it down to the exam & a ooc/ic background check of the applicant? Check forum reports etc. While the person may have a clean admin record, you're specifically looking at their character's development and what kind of roleplayer the applicant is. Add an OOC questionnaire asking stuff like what the character does and what he plans to do in the future.

Edited by JeromeJackson
1 hour ago, L I C E said:

it has nothing to do with how well i shoot, it's just useless. if you don't see the robbery/attack coming, you would have died/got robbed without it anyway. and if you saw it coming, usually you're outnumbered anyway. it's pointless. civilians just don't really need them as much as people make out n that comes from a "civilian" myself.

skill issue.

6 hours ago, JeromeJackson said:

The idea for applicants to show "good cause justification" is something firearm licensing units IRL use in many states, NYC (where I reside) being one of the places. While I think it's realistic, I think the licensing unit should show applicants a little more leniency on what they feel is justification for being issued a CCW. Realistically speaking, a threat to your life is not the only justification for being issued a CCW. CCW's are issued to business owners / management for both protection of the business and transportation of cash deposits IRL. CCW's are also issued to people like cab drivers, this being the fact that there may one day be an incident where that driver will be required to defend themselves against a threat to their life while on the job. Moving onto banning applicants who are denied, I think that's stupid. If you want to implement a cool-down on being able to re apply after being denied, do that. Banning someone from applying for 30 days in my opinion doesn't make any sense to me nor does it seem logical. I think it sets the wrong image to future applicants' idea on how the application process will go. The idea is to prevent poor character portrayal and prevent unrealistic characters from abusing their CCW however I think that for the sake of this being a game, show leniency.

My idea:

Instead of using "good cause justification," why not just narrow it down to the exam & a ooc/ic background check of the applicant? Check forum reports etc. While the person may have a clean admin record, you're specifically looking at their character's development and what kind of roleplayer the applicant is. Add an OOC questionnaire asking stuff like what the character does and what he plans to do in the future.

The problem with that is that everyoune would have good reasoning for wanting a PF/CCW in Los Santos, regardless of who they are or what they do. Simply state that you don't want to literally die the moment you go out of your house, considering the crime rate.

We should have more OOC rules on PF/CCW issuance and use, though. First and foremost, people shouldn't be able to buy PF weapons and use them for illegal purposes. That's just unrealistic. 

6 hours ago, Satanic Chicken said:

This. Now people are just buying other peoples PFs and carrying them around, good work I guess?

PF licenses are free and easily available. With a PF you can purchase firearms legally at an ammunation, and open-carry it around specific places.

However, we're talking about CCW's here, the ability to conceal carry firearms. So I don't see how your point makes any sense at all.

I highly disagree with it, should be either loosened up or removed at all and it should be done ICly by politicians, not rigged OOC controlled politicians like the death sentence fiasco. If you want to abuse a legal firearm, you can do it through the extremely easy to obtain PF gun, so why torture people with this dumb application? if someone wanted to DM, be a vigilante or anything else that rocks your boat off to consider CCW a must, they can abuse said things without it. Give legal players a chance to defend themselves. 

Illegal firearm ownership is the problem, not legal ownership, combat that, not make it harder for us to defend ourselves and I love this logic...you have to provide situations in which you were almost killed to prove yourself, only thing I should say in my app is '' I am an American and it's my right'' the absolute end, nothing else. The logic of these is classic CA/NYC, someone was killed by a hammer, let's ban all hammers, not focus on the people who abused them, that's how I feel about this.

Also a small edit, I remember there was some sort of Anti-CCW crusade organization that got pretty good funding and went to sue the LSPD against this, what happened to them, I wonder? shut down like the death sentence people?

Edited by Kowboy
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

" What's your reasoning for wanting a CCW? "

" This city has a homicide rate higher than any city in the world and I don't feel safe "

That's it. There should be no justification further than that.

That itself granted me a 1 month ban from applying for CCW. Even though I was a caucasian female gym owner in Davis - which should be pretty self-explanatory in and of itself.

I was recently underdoing some interesting character development which unfortunately took a turn for the worse. After utilizing words and keeping my distance of a person with a blunt and deadly weapon, a wrench, I was putting myself in the line of death by using my hands against a weapon alone - due to knowing very well that using my firearm that was on me whilst only possessing a PF License was more detrimental than even seeing to it that I was killed.

As someone said and with a great hint of laughter:
"Woman gets killed because she couldn't use her gun as she only had a PF License."

It's come to the point that upon being barred from a CCW that should already be accepted through a relatively simple background check as it is in real life, I considered my PF License to be more valuable than my character's life - only resorting to break SHAFT code by brandishing a firearm outside of my property AFTER being hit. Because after a PK, I don't lose my character, but if I lose my license - that's it. I eventually said fuck it, like ANYBODY would. Because if you were limited by the same people that are serving and protecting you to a condition that possibly gets you killed. You tell them to blow it out their ass along with their little rules. Because they're not there next to you to protect you from being killed or seriously injured. (Mind you this is an IC take on a character's wellbeing and survival instincts, not an OOC one - ive been an LEO myself, so saying those things on an OOC aspect would be shooting myself in the foot)

It's utterly unnecessary. Some things should not be heavily moderated. And the PD is on the front line and collects all the data on the amount of illegally acquired weapons and abused ones. Abuse occured far prior to these 'Good Cause' requirements, and will continue to occur far beyond it's existance or removal. It's inherent, and as such - it's something you have to deal with.

Situations that require immediate action are going by with regular punishment disregarding any conditioning or circumstance of what is being done - either by a license holder or an attacker, be they abusers or not.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Kowboy said:

I highly disagree with it, should be either loosened up or removed at all and it should be done ICly by politicians, not rigged OOC controlled politicians like the death sentence fiasco. If you want to abuse a legal firearm, you can do it through the extremely easy to obtain PF gun, so why torture people with this dumb application? if someone wanted to DM, be a vigilante or anything else that rocks your boat off to consider CCW a must, they can abuse said things without it. Give legal players a chance to defend themselves. 

Illegal firearm ownership is the problem, not legal ownership, combat that, not make it harder for us to defend ourselves and I love this logic...you have to provide situations in which you were almost killed to prove yourself, only thing I should say in my app is '' I am an American and it's my right'' the absolute end, nothing else. The logic of these is classic CA/NYC, someone was killed by a hammer, let's ban all hammers, not focus on the people who abused them, that's how I feel about this.

Also a small edit, I remember there was some sort of Anti-CCW crusade organization that got pretty good funding and went to sue the LSPD against this, what happened to them, I wonder? shut down like the death sentence people?

Agreed

3 hours ago, Blackbird said:

That itself granted me a 1 month ban from applying for CCW. Even though I was a caucasian female gym owner in Davis - which should be pretty self-explanatory in and of itself.

I was recently underdoing some interesting character development which unfortunately took a turn for the worse. After utilizing words and keeping my distance of a person with a blunt and deadly weapon, a wrench, I was putting myself in the line of death by using my hands against a weapon alone - due to knowing very well that using my firearm that was on me whilst only possessing a PF License was more detrimental than even seeing to it that I was killed.

As someone said and with a great hint of laughter:
"Woman gets killed because she couldn't use her gun as she only had a PF License."

It's come to the point that upon being barred from a CCW that should already be accepted through a relatively simple background check as it is in real life, I considered my PF License to be more valuable than my character's life - only resorting to break SHAFT code by brandishing a firearm outside of my property AFTER being hit. Because after a PK, I don't lose my character, but if I lose my license - that's it. I eventually said fuck it, like ANYBODY would. Because if you were limited by the same people that are serving and protecting you to a condition that possibly gets you killed. You tell them to blow it out their ass along with their little rules. Because they're not there next to you to protect you from being killed or seriously injured. (Mind you this is an IC take on a character's wellbeing and survival instincts, not an OOC one - ive been an LEO myself, so saying those things on an OOC aspect would be shooting myself in the foot)

It's utterly unnecessary. Some things should not be heavily moderated. And the PD is on the front line and collects all the data on the amount of illegally acquired weapons and abused ones. Abuse occured far prior to these 'Good Cause' requirements, and will continue to occur far beyond it's existance or removal. It's inherent, and as such - it's something you have to deal with.

Situations that require immediate action are going by with regular punishment disregarding any conditioning or circumstance of what is being done - either by a license holder or an attacker, be they abusers or not.

If what you described here happened on the premises of your business you had all the rights to use the weapon. The issue isn't with the laws and OOC rules surrounding them, the issue is with PF holders.

6 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

If what you described here happened on the premises of your business you had all the rights to use the weapon. The issue isn't with the laws and OOC rules surrounding them, the issue is with PF holders.

It wasn't, unfortunately. And that's what I'm trying to say. Had I received my CCW a month ago, I wouldn't have been arrested yesterday on the premises of being forced to use a PF weapon outside of my properties when the situation demanded for it.

Edited by Blackbird