CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Has anybody tried it tho? Get a m4 carbine from a weapon supplier, get arrested with it and go contest it in court. It's compliant with NFA most likely, so one way or another they're in reality legal. I realize that this is some kinda backward logic here but has anybody done that? Like, you simply can't complain about it if you haven't done anything. 

It'll have nothing to do with it being NFA or not.

It's got everything to do with Nervous saying that they wouldn't put semi auto rifles in because he basically didn't trust the server to not fuck it up.

Thus, no matter what you do IC, it'll never be justified.

3 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

It'll have nothing to do with it being NFA or not.

It's got everything to do with Nervous saying that they wouldn't put semi auto rifles in because he basically didn't trust the server to not fuck it up.

Thus, no matter what you do IC, it'll never be justified.

I mean honestly since we're portraying California it does kinda make sense. ARs are more or less banned in Cali (https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/assault-weapons-in-california/), unless you wanna roll around with a 10 round mag lol 

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
Just now, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Has anybody tried it tho? Get a m4 carbine from a weapon supplier, get arrested with it and go contest it in court. It's compliant with NFA most likely, so one way or another they're in reality legal. I realize that this is some kinda backward logic here but has anybody done that? Like, you simply can't complain about it if you haven't done anything. 

the problem with this is that there are no mechanisms on the server referencing or utilizing the NFA.  those firearms require registration through the federal government, which this server doesn't regulate, the FLD doesn't accommodate, and the additions to the SHAFT act don't cover.

image.thumb.png.2d6835836f19ab3af875c45c5684fd32.png

nothing in the legislation requires FLD to coordinate issuance of prohibited firearms, either.

from what I've been told from the few senators i've spoken to about the issue, the actual problem is overbearing management, which has to be addressed oocly by the community.  all ic efforts to make change have been oocly suppressed.

3 minutes ago, Sentryzu said:

the problem with this is that there are no mechanisms on the server referencing or utilizing the NFA.  those firearms require registration through the federal government, which this server doesn't regulate, the FLD doesn't accommodate, and the additions to the SHAFT act don't cover.

image.thumb.png.2d6835836f19ab3af875c45c5684fd32.png

nothing in the legislation requires FLD to coordinate issuance of prohibited firearms, either.

from what I've been told from the few senators i've spoken to about the issue, the actual problem is overbearing management, which has to be addressed oocly by the community.  all ic efforts to make change have been oocly suppressed.

to touch up on this, no. NFA as a federal act is generally a tier above state law (there's no laws nullifying it on the server) so if you brought it up in court upon being arrested with an AR you could easily dispute that. whereas yes what the management does heavily influence the gun laws theres still plenty that can be done via ic means. once again i'd like to refer you to those two cases 
https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/60025-gregory-walker-v-los-santos-police-department-los-santos-city-government-chief-of-los-santos-police-mayor-of-los-santos-et-al/
https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/58847-petition-for-review-gregory-walker-v-state-of-san-andreas-and-governor-of-san-andreas/

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
11 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I mean honestly since we're portraying California it does kinda make sense. ARs are more or less banned in Cali (https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/assault-weapons-in-california/), unless you wanna roll around with a 10 round mag lol 

So I worked in the gun business for a while. 

On paper, it's illegal. But there are copious loopholes. Not to mention that you can buy rifles in states contiguous to your own. So a quick trip over the border to another state, and you can buy them. And then there's the whole bullet button set of guns.

Also, I didn't keep up with it, but I know their mag ban got struck down in the Supreme Court some time last year, or maybe the year before.

5 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

to touch up on this, no. NFA as a federal act is generally a tier above state law (there's no laws nullifying it on the server) so if you brought it up in court upon being arrested with an AR you could easily dispute that. whereas yes what the management does heavily influence the gun laws theres still plenty that can be done via ic means. once again i'd like to refer you to those two cases 

Also if a state outlaws a certain weapon, then NFA doesn't apply. The states have the ability to govern themselves. Banning a certain gun has been basically in some liberal states been ruled not a violation of the 2A.

And while it is, the lawmakers in those backwards states have agreed it's not. And it's very expensive to take that litigation all the way to the USSC.

Edited by SaintBatemanofWallStreet
10 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

So I worked in the gun business for a while. 

On paper, it's illegal. But there are copious loopholes. Not to mention that you can buy rifles in states contiguous to your own. So a quick trip over the border to another state, and you can buy them. And then there's the whole bullet button set of guns.

Also, I didn't keep up with it, but I know their mag ban got struck down in the Supreme Court some time last year, or maybe the year before.

Also if a state outlaws a certain weapon, then NFA doesn't apply. The states have the ability to govern themselves. Banning a certain gun has been basically in some liberal states been ruled not a violation of the 2A.

And while it is, the lawmakers in those backwards states have agreed it's not. And it's very expensive to take that litigation all the way to the USSC.

this. there are loopholes to everything the ATF governs plus state mandates. that's why gun stores sell california and new york legal semi automatic rifles for purchase. although the state does ban certain weapons, it can be seen as an infringement of federal rights and the supreme court can strike it down see: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/05/california-assault-weapons-ban-overturned/ all it really takes is for a team of legal experts to challenge it.

but at the end of a day, its a game and you have to have a certain restriction which I understand, with the ATFs new online forms I can manufacture me own suppressor from a catch can for two hundred bucks. obviously, you can't do that on this server for oblivious reasons.

Edited by bwarp
  • Wuhtah locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic

Thank you for unlocking, Wutah.

I would have created a new topic, but per the suggestion guidelines, "search for it first", and here we are.

Okay, my issues with the "good cause" requirement on the CCW application are the following:

- Simply, why? Why do people need to state the obvious? The crime rate in LS is crazy. It is higher than literally anywhere in the real world. For example, upon my return to the server, I have been robbed twice on my main character, and once on my alt. I've been back less than three weeks. The only place more dangerous might actually be a GTA:O lobby.

- I have my CCW IRL. Granted, I live in a republican US state, it still didn't involve any type of "good cause" requirement. I answered questions on if I was basically legally allowed to own a firearm, gave them my fingerprints, they took my picture, then ran a background check. Six weeks later my permit was mailed to me.

- Even in Democratic states, there isn't a "good cause" requirement. For example, while the CCW is much different in California vs. my state, they still don't have that question- as the SC said "you can't do that". They have an in-person interview process, though.

At the end of the day, this is a game. It really shouldn't be harder to do something here than it is in real life.

I just went to go check how many words I provided on my ONLY CCW application, that was submitted almost two weeks ago. Banned for a month, three hours ago, when it was denied 1/21/23? Two weeks have passed, and you are just NOW banning me? Alllllrighty.

For transparency, here was my reasoning: Granted, I was focusing more on my qualification, but literally, reasoning? The damn crime rate in LS.

Spoiler

Please explain in detail why you wish to obtain a CCW License, you must justify a good cause for carrying a firearm concealed.

Dear sir or ma'am,
I believe I am in good-faith to be issued a CCW permit. I currently work at Aurum Energy, however I live near Del Perro. I have been robbed at gunpoint there one time, on my way home from work. Thankfully, the police were called the first time due to a civilian seeing that I was in distress, however I don't feel I'll be so lucky next time, and I truly feared for my life in that situation.

Additionally, I am a former Air Force officer. My duties while serving did not involve combat, however I was qualified, and re-qualified many times on firearms, including pistols and rifles. I did very well on each one of my qualification exams, and I feel that some of the information I learned from those could be applied in the real-world if issued a CCW and encountered a life-threatening danger.

In closing, I feel that I am very qualified, both educationally and mentally, to possess a CCW, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,
Kayden Jackson

Edited by MAK0
  • Upvote 2

Yeah it's a sad sight to see. Most of the people that approve/deny these applications do NOT have the real life experience of carrying a firearm/having a LTC/CHL. It's extremely easy in most states, and the argument that we are portraying California does not fit here.

• Upvote 3