CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

So then I think the solution is stricter OOC regulation on the use of PF/CCW guns. Make it a server offense to knowingly apply for a PF license and engage in gang roleplay or illegal roleplay such as large scale drug possession and so forth. Give leniency to CCW applicants and just do a thorough background check both in character and out of character. Check ban appeals, complaints etc and look for what their character does, if they have a history of rulebreaking (roleplay based rules like subpar roleplay, dm etc).

2 minutes ago, JeromeJackson said:

So then I think the solution is stricter OOC regulation on the use of PF/CCW guns. Make it a server offense to knowingly apply for a PF license and engage in gang roleplay or illegal roleplay such as large scale drug possession and so forth. Give leniency to CCW applicants and just do a thorough background check both in character and out of character. Check ban appeals, complaints etc and look for what their character does, if they have a history of rulebreaking (roleplay based rules like subpar roleplay, dm etc).

The problem isnt criminals using guns.

People are already disallowed from obtaining a PF reason just to sell firearms through illegal means. They already get banned from having gun licenses for doing that.

The issue is poor portrayal at the end of the day. It’s the bad apples that have dictated policy of an OOC issue through IC means. Instead of gate keeping people with such overly stringent IC measures, start banning people who want to be vigilantes for no reason, which is clearly an OOC portrayal issue. Once again the bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. 

Edited by Cypher99
21 hours ago, Blackbird said:

I considered my PF License to be more valuable than my character's life

This is a very important point I believe.. From an OOC perspective, keeping my CCW is more important than taking a PK, more important than loosing a few hundred thousand, more important than almost everything anything up to a CK. 

I guess it's not a terrible thing on some levels, it's a deterrent and stops you from pulling out your gun to be a hero, but the FLD people are scarier than the criminals. 

• Applaud 2

Hot take: CCW's do nothing but help the rate of armed robberies skyrocket. A stolen civilian gun saves an illegal RPer anywhere from 15k to 40k in replacing their gun + the social cost of repeatedly having to tell their supplier "I lost my last gun I need to buy a new one", which might make them look incompetent in the eyes of superiors.

This is why the first thing robbers want off of you is your gun. Your wallet and your phone are just consolation prizes if they didn't get a gun.

You're realistically hardly ever going to get a legitimate chance at using your CCW on a threat directed at you specifically which doesn't also make you a murderer, because of how robberies are staged. At best you'll engage in some manner of vigilantism to shoot someone that's attacking somebody else.

Edited by Koko

CCW isn't a end all be all. I've had one on my main character since 2018 and I think I've only ever had to discharge it once or twice in the context of self defense. I almost feel safer without my CCW sometimes just because it makes me feel like a target. IT's not like some magical shield that protects you. There's also situations you will find yourself in where even though you have a CCW it will do nothing for you in a given scenario. I think they should keep the processes more difficult and people should have to justify a legitimate IC reason. I know there's a lot of people out there who are looking to be vigilantes. If the server was based on a state like mine where it's much easier to obtain a CCW license and open carry is allowed then sure make it less difficult. But In California they have stricter rules so it makes sense.

I find it interesting how every single issue has a topic created about it, IC or OOC. This entire issue is an IC one, that your character got denied from a CCW because the person handling doesn't feel like you're fitting into the clause is completely IC, you going to forums and going out of your way to complain yo hopefully get them to change something is mildly entertaining. How about you try and get change ICly, go to republican senators, ask them to introduce a bill which would intruct FLD to stop enforcing the clause, wouldn't that make it more interesting?

• Applaud 1
34 minutes ago, DomThomson said:

How about you try and get change ICly, go to republican senators, ask them to introduce a bill which would intruct FLD to stop enforcing the clause, wouldn't that make it more interesting?

Because lobbying ICly might be futile as I've explained here.

• Upvote 1