CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

1 hour ago, DarkAndDreary said:

We're supposed to get CCWs to prevent bad stuff from happening to us.

But apparently...You need to wait for something bad to happen to you before applying. 🙄

This is the same as employers who want to hire young people in their twenties, but expect them to have at least 15 years of previous work experience in that field.

1 hour ago, thekillergreece said:

If you are a trucker and need a personal protection, PF is enough for you in all honesty as it can be stored in vehicle's glove compartment which is considered as secure container.

Is this valid even though the truck is company property and not mine? I’d have to transfer it between my vehicle and the trucks I’m using. It’s not like the trucks are equipped with a secure gun compartment lol

Hey, a handler here who has probably caused some mental anguish in some of you due to the Good Cause and other reasons. Speaking for myself and not for my IC colleagues or my faction.

I've dug through many messages on the FLD Discord server and have found the reason why Good Cause is enforced.

You Won't Believe Why Good Cause Explanations A Thing. A SHOCKING Revelations!! (totally clickbait)

Edit: Here is a link to the FLD Discord server: https://fld.gta.world/discord/

Edited by Jeroen
Added the FLD Discord server link.

The reason for owning a CCW should be: 

This is America and it's in the constitution to bare arms. 

Sadly this is what happens when you have a Eurocentric approach to running the FLD. 

I would be in favour of a prolonged OOC wait before you can obtain a CCW ICly of X amount of hours to prevent the usual OOC abuse of name changes, CK's, gang members etc etc but from an IC point of view it should NOT be as hard as it is now.

I said in Discord the other day, it's a shame GTA V wasn't set in a Texan city, then we could OPEN CARRY AR15's (M4's) around and the argument against it would be even weaker than Californian's stupid gun laws.  (which really aren't as strict as some people here would lead you to believe )

To further back up my point that despite Cali having strict gun laws, it's still not as hard as people would assume and yes it does kind of depend on the county but here is some great examples of valid reasons from San Diego county here: https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

Edited by Late
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Late said:

Sadly this is what happens when you have a Eurocentric approach to running the FLD

To be honest, the Cali laws and EU laws for CCW good cause are somewhat similar. If you look into the German Waffenbesitzkarte laws ("unusually likely to be a victim of a crime), or the French Permis catégorie B laws ("Justify a serious professional risk"), ... and the actual Cali laws, they're more or less the same. The San Diego gun club might not be the best source overall, since it's a gun lobby association (in their about us page: "San Diego County Gun Owners (SDCGO) is a political organization that focuses on expanding and restoring Second Amendment rights"). It's not really a government source ^^' 

Actual state law mentions "clear and present danger to life, or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his spouse, or dependent child". So, no, having some copper in your van is not very likely to be accepted 😛 

Don't get me wrong though, there are certainly issues in the current FLD process, and I'd even be in favor of being a bit more lenient. Not to the point of making it a Texas city, but the issue is... 

1) Risk/Good cause is evaluated based on RL criteria, not IC criteria. For example: "trucker isn't a dangerous enough job" is realistic, IRL. However, within the game, trucker **IS** a job where you are much more likely than usual to be in danger. 

2) Good causes are sometimes inconsistently evaluated (your good cause might be accepted by officer X, but then denied by officer Y). 

Generally speaking, the amount of crime per person in Los Santos is considerably higher than in any RL town - which is ok, I mean it /IS/ GTA V after all ^^ However, maintaining RL-like standards for CCW good cause, in spite of that stark difference between RL and the IC situation, is kinda weird ^^ Not a major deal, but a bit weird.

Complaining to your senator will not change anything.

The CCW regulations became tight following after Nervous' decision to... make them strict and tight to obtain. Just like what Jeroen pointed out. I'll post the picture here.

HY22z58.png

Let's start by being nice please, thanks.

Edited by thekillergreece
2 hours ago, Late said:

Sadly this is what happens when you have a Eurocentric approach to running the FLD. 

As someone who was part of FLD's Command until not that long ago, with specific purview of the application processes (including Good Cause appeals), I can say FLD has very little say OOCly on to what extend these rules are enforced. Yes, we were all Europeans, but then again FLD did not instate the Good Cause requirement on its own, but we were required to by LFM/SM in order to minimise the supply of weapons into the server, which were getting stolen and giving way to a lot of unrealistic scenarios by CCW carriers. Regulations surrounding Good Cause are specific and most if not all handlers from the CCW section are required to know them to heart (which isn't the case for handlers of other sections), with direct supervision from a few members above who ensure the regulations set in place by LFM/SM are enforced properly. There will be some inconsistency due to the nature of the licensing process, but you have the option to appeal it to other people who is above the licensing officers that can take a second look at your case and re-evaluate if it falls into the provided scenarios.

FLD Command does push for certain changes every now and then, but 95% of the time it will be through IC means, recurring to the IC channels for such (senate), and being subject to modifications along the way that come from both the Senate, or the Courts themselves. All the requirements, however, are always done based on an IC perspective of the situation and considering all law that is in place ICly. Just as IRL, the licensing authority has a certain degree of jurisdiction over the whole firearms scene's evolution on its assigned area, and will push for legislation changes to favour their enforcement that may or may not pass the legislature, so this is completely understandable from an IC perspective, as well.

Edited by Barross

Yeah it’s dumb, mine got accepted at first then it got reviewed by seniors and I got banned for one month. Why a ban? Its like denial=ban doesn’t make any sense. And the application itself was good! I don’t know what was wrong with it, just carry a gun illegally at this point. 

2 hours ago, Late said:

The reason for owning a CCW should be: 

This is America and it's in the constitution to bare arms. 

I would be in favour of a prolonged OOC wait before you can obtain a CCW ICly of X amount of hours to prevent the usual OOC abuse of name changes, CK's, gang members etc etc but from an IC point of view it should NOT be as hard as it is now.

I said in Discord the other day, it's a shame GTA V wasn't set in a Texan city, then we could OPEN CARRY AR15's (M4's) around and the argument against it would be even weaker than Californian's stupid gun laws.  (which really aren't as strict as some people here would lead you to believe )

To further back up my point that despite Cali having strict gun laws, it's still not as hard as people would assume and yes it does kind of depend on the county but here is some great examples of valid reasons from San Diego county here: https://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/

At 2016, there were only 92000 active CCW permits in California. Out of how many MILLION inhabitants? That's pretty strict to me.