CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

Just now, Cypher99 said:

If it’s an IC issue, it would apply to existing CCW permit holders as well but it doesn’t. It’s only new CCW applicants, which doesn’t address the issue of people who already have it. 

It's because it's an IC issue that it doesn't apply to existing CCW permit holders. It's not about OOC fairness of who applied first, it's because the rules being followed are different. They got their CCW when the issuing authority was following a different set of criteria, which doesn't mean their existing CCW permits are going to be revoked retroactively unless someone ICly decides to, I guess.

Just now, Cypher99 said:

If it’s an IC issue, it would apply to existing CCW permit holders as well but it doesn’t. It’s only new CCW applicants, which doesn’t address the issue of people who already have it. 

CCWs expire 1 year from the date of issuance. You have to file for re-issuance at which point you, the applicant have to establish good cause yet again. If the reasons for obtaining a CCW before are no longer valid, it does not get reissued. If the reasons are valid or there are other, new reasons, it does get reissued.

You do not need to have been robbed in the past- In fact, this doesn't help you at all. Instead, you have to establish that you are either:
a. At higher risk for falling victim to a crime (i.e. private investigators, being a politician, lawyer, living in a very dangerous neighborhood where you have to commute to work on foot through a dangerous crime ridden street etc.)
b. At actual danger due to being a victim (or a target) of targetted crime (i.e. murder attempt, someone specifically choosing YOU to commit a crime of any sorts that would endanger you)

28 minutes ago, Cypher99 said:

Google cases of truckers defending themselves from robberies. You act like this doesn’t happen lol. Again, you expect me to just curl up into a ball? This is the problem, not me wanting to defend myself for a perfectly valid IC reason.

the fact you don't really understand what's wrong with what you're saying is probably the reason why you're getting denied

a ccw is not to protect yourself against robberies, it just isn't there for that purpose and you'll never get one accepted if you try with that justification. it's there for a specific reason and if you still don't understand why what you're describing fits, then it's probably best for everyone that your character doesn't have one! nothing personal but this server needs way less ppl with guns and way more people who either take the L and move on or handle situations in ways that don't involve wild west shootouts 

Edited by gamerboy

Although I do agree that a good cause is definitely required when applying for a CCW, they are exaggerating in my opinion. I have seen many people complain about being denied for not having a good cause eventhough they have a well structured cause to back up the necessity to have a firearm on their person at all times.

13 minutes ago, Supernova said:

Although I do agree that a good cause is definitely required when applying for a CCW, they are exaggerating in my opinion. I have seen many people complain about being denied for not having a good cause eventhough they have a well structured cause to back up the necessity to have a firearm on their person at all times.

This one's actually sorta interesting because up until recently almost no one in California would be issued a CCW unless they could prove in their request that they or their immediate family were in some kind of immediate danger. Say they were a public figure who had received death threats, or you and your spouse had attracted a stalker. These are both examples of immediate danger, and were some of the only ways for someone in California to be issued a CCW permit. Interestingly, that precedent was challenged by Peruta V. San Diego who found that this narrow requirement of 'good cause' infringed on people's second amendment rights, but this decision was appealed to and struck down by the 9th circuit court of appeals. The US Supreme court refused to hear the appeal, and thus the 9th circuit's decision has remained in place. 

As a result, it's clear that States have alot of control over CCW's and their issuance despite the second amendment. 

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
20 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

This one's actually sorta interesting because up until recently almost no one in California would be issued a CCW unless they could prove in their request that they or their immediate family were in some kind of immediate danger. Say they were a public figure who had received death threats, or you and your spouse had attracted a stalker. These are both examples of immediate danger, and were some of the only ways for someone in California to be issued a CCW permit. Interestingly, that precedent was challenged by Peruta V. San Diego who found that this narrow requirement of 'good cause' infringed on people's second amendment rights, but this decision was appealed to and struck down by the 9th circuit court of appeals. The US Supreme court refused to hear the appeal, and thus the 9th circuit's decision has remained in place. 

As a result, it's clear that States have alot of control over CCW's and their issuance despite the second amendment. 

SCOTUS accepted to hear a similar case from another circuit, I think New York. And a verdict will be delivered this year I believe. So the answer for California will too be answered.

EDIT: https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/new-york-state-rifle-pistol-association-inc-v-bruen/

Edited by BjornV
1 hour ago, DarkAndDreary said:

We're supposed to get CCWs to prevent bad stuff from happening to us.

But apparently...You need to wait for something bad to happen to you before applying. 🙄

It's like how goverments and corporations don't want to change laws / pull products until someone dies.