CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

6 minutes ago, sCrax said:

In order to obtain a CCW permit in California, you also need to provide a good cause for the issuance. It's not just a "simple" background check. You also have to present evidence for the good cause, saying: "I'm scared of Davis gangbangers." is not a good cause.

I had documented cases of 911 calls and incidents that personally happened to my character and other drivers at my job. Still got denied. It’s not just being scared, I’ve had my life threatened more than once. Beaten. Shot. It’s not like I just applied just because I felt like having a gun 😂

500+ hours and the first time I’ve applied for one on a character. I do get there was an issue with PF warriors, but those same people are not being held to the same standard I am being held to. That is wholly unfair and inconsistent with the standards they are wanting to now enforce. 

Edited by Cypher99
23 minutes ago, Thurston Howl said:

This is entirely untrue, in almost every civilized country in the world you don’t have to provide a reason outside of self defense to conceal carry, especially in the US.

You're very wrong. There are nine states which are considered may-issue states. In some counties like LA, a no-issue is practically de-facto law there. You will almost never be issued a concealed carry permit without good cause. 

May issue means that applicants must pass basic requirements and the issuing authority (county sheriff, police department, etc.) is allowed to use their own discretion in either issuing or denying a permit. Some may-issue states require an applicant to show “good cause” for obtaining a permit, while others require the applicant to show he or she is of suitable character and may require character references in order to authorize a permit. 

2 minutes ago, Cypher99 said:

I had documented cases of 911 calls and incidents that personally happened to my character and other drivers at my job. Still got denied. It’s not just being scared, I’ve had my life threatened more than once. Beaten. Shot. It’s not like I just applied just because I felt like having a gun 😂

I do get there was an issue with PF warriors, but those same people are not being held to the same standard I am. That is wholly unfair and inconsistent with the standards they are wanting to now enforce. 

Honestly? You should privately contact people responsible for handling those applications so they can tell you why your application was denied. Instead of discussing it here.

You can always carry the gun illegally. You can put the gun away somewhere in the truck while within city limits and wear it openly when you cross outside city limits if you want. There are options. You could take it as an IC issue. Gun laws have been altered by the IG Senate before. I get the feeling LFM and IFM wouldn't let the Senate mess around with this too much, but maybe you can get more explicit criteria. Or just tweak the application and apply again and hope for the best, it seems to be a bit inconsistent.

In my opinion, your CEO should hire security - either directly or through a security company like G6 - to guard the premises. 

There are far too many civilian characters who would rather get into a shootout (often against multiple people) than hand over what amounts to pocket change. 

People robbing truckers instead of their trucks, and then beating them near to death when they don't have enough money, is an out of character issue that needs reporting. I don't think you're going to fix that roleplay by introducing more guns.

I believe that CCW permits should be reserved for high-profile individuals who are likely to be specifically targeted for an attack. As a trucker, you are not specifically targeted more - you're not special from any other truckers. If you are the CEO of a logistics company who has been an established critic of organized crime in the city of Los Santos, and you've received specific threats to your life - well, then you should be eligible.

Having a CCW permit is special, and your characters needs to be specifically targeted for violence. Your character doesn't seem to be specifically targeted from what I can grasp of your story, just generally targeted and that doesn't make you eligible.

While many truckers might have guns in real life, I'm certain most truckers doing short hauls in Los Angeles don't. The same should apply for Los Santos, no matter how riddled with crime it is.

I've been (and I am, right now) a legal roleplayer myself but neither of my legal characters have been targeted and I have roughly 180 hours walking and driving around without having a single violent crime committed by or against me. My most recent character is a mechanic mostly focused on towing & recovery in South Los Santos and whenever I've interacted with the gangbanging minors people love to hate, I've always has a positive experience at least OOCly.

Edited by shaqr
  • Upvote 1
Just now, sCrax said:

In order to obtain a CCW permit in California, you also need to provide a good cause for the issuance. It's not just a "simple" background check. You also have to present evidence for the good cause, saying: "I'm scared of Davis gangbangers." is not a good cause.

This. California is one of the tighter CCW states in the US. Of the 21.52 million concealed carry permits issued in the US, there are only around 92,000 permits active in California. With that said, we all know that San Andreas isn't exactly 1 to 1 with So-Cal in a number of key ways, and in the past few years, there's been an increase in both the requests and issuances of CCW permits all across the US. 

29 minutes ago, Thurston Howl said:

This is entirely untrue, in almost every civilized country in the world you don’t have to provide a reason outside of self defense to conceal carry, especially in the US.

a background check is conducted and a brief personal history check depending on area

Okay, please do your research. I'm going to entertain the notion that you are not trolling:
In California, good cause requirements differ per county. I can't speak for other states. Some have very lenient requirements (No need to register at all or you can fully open-carry anywhere in the state), some don't. In California, the penal code authorizes sheriffs/chiefs to publish a set of rules. In Los Angeles, the Sheriff holds the following:

Each applicant must demonstrate proof of residence and good character. In addition, good cause for the purposes of Penal Code section 26150 shall exist only if the following prevails: Sufficient evidence of potential danger to life or of great bodily harm to the applicant, his or her spouse or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm

-- https://lasd.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/CCW_LASD_Policy_072320.pdf

Some basic fact checking could've helped you to understand this rather than making an uninformed statement.

8 minutes ago, peasoup said:

You can always carry the gun illegally. You can put the gun away somewhere in the truck while within city limits and wear it openly when you cross outside city limits if you want. There are options. You could take it as an IC issue. Gun laws have been altered by the IG Senate before. I get the feeling LFM and IFM wouldn't let the Senate mess around with this too much, but maybe you can get more explicit criteria. Or just tweak the application and apply again and hope for the best, it seems to be a bit inconsistent.

If it’s an IC issue, it would apply to existing CCW permit holders as well but it doesn’t. It’s only new CCW applicants, which doesn’t address the issue of people who already have it and have caused the issue in the first place. It’s purely an OOC control. 

Edited by Cypher99