CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

I take issue with the good cause reasoning on the CCW application. I understand this is a thing IRL, but it wasn’t instated for our world until recently as a way to try and control the flow of guns into the server and as stated by many, “unrealistic scenarios by CCW holders”. 

My question is why punish players at the expense of those who should’ve been banned or more harshly punished for shit role play? If they were acting out unrealistically with a CCW weapon, then punish them for portrayal issues. If robberies were becoming a strictly OOC gun grab, then attack that issue (which has been attempted with the new robbery rules). 

All this is doing is gate keeping people from getting something IC’ly because of an OOC issue and that’s something I take issue with. Not all of us will have these portrayal issues, but once again the small majority trouble makers dictate what happens on the server. 

Stop warning people and start banning people for shit roleplay and leave the rest of us to enjoy the chance to experience these things. Don’t punish the many for the mistakes of the few. 

Edited by Cypher99
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Cypher99 said:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&division=5.&title=4.&part=6.&chapter=4.&article=

These rules exist in real-life as well. Self defense is not a valid reason to obtain a CCW in most counties. Good cause requirements are set by licensing authorities. That means that in one county, it might be harder to get a license than in another.

Our requirements are, in my opinion, a little too strict. But on the other side, in a city that sees as many murders on a single day as the entire US does in a week, everyone's in a constant level of danger. In order to be eligible for a CCW, you have to establish that you're at more risk than the average Joe going about his business.

Edited by BjornV
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, it's not unrealistic, though they should spell out the criteria more specifically, maybe. But is your life specifically in danger, or just your stuff? That sort of thing can be used as a kind of criteria, since you're not supposed to murder someone for crimes against property.

Edited by peasoup

@Cypher99last year illegal roleplay had issues with armed civilians literally acting as police officers, gunning down people with their CCW. As far I remember last discussion was about a girl wearing cat ears and a skirt pulling out a firearm and the server literally exploded in that discussion because of how licenses are distribuited to civilians. I can't find the thread anymore but AFAIK they promised to filter applicants to improve this bad situation. I might be wrong here though.

Let's talk about your character request; you state that your character wants to feel protected during his duties, but at what cost? Giving you a gun means you are probably gonna gun illegal rpers down, is your character's life worth a wallet and his phone, if not the company's vehicles? Can your character cope with a murder he done, even if it's self-defense? Taking someone's life is not a joke. Your company can deal with this situation in numerous ways, letting their employees driving armed isn't a valid solution

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, bncal said:

@Cypher99last year illegal roleplay had issues with armed civilians literally acting as police officers, gunning down people with their CCW. As far I remember last discussion was about a girl wearing cat ears and a skirt pulling out a firearm and the server literally exploded in that discussion because of how licenses are distribuited to civilians. I can't find the thread anymore but AFAIK they promised to filter applicants to improve this bad situation. I might be wrong here though.

Let's talk about your character request; you state that your character wants to feel protected during his duties, but at what cost? Giving you a gun means you are probably gonna gun illegal rpers down, is your character's life worth a wallet and his phone, if not the company's vehicles? Can your character cope with a murder he done, even if it's self-defense? Taking someone's life is not a joke. Your company can deal with this situation in numerous ways, letting their employees driving armed isn't a valid solution

It does not mean I’m going to go straight to shooting someone. It’s often a very good visual deterrent that doesn’t always end in shots being fired. In the event I have to shoot someone? Yes. My character would be  able to handle it. I have a very in-depth and played out military background over almost 100 hours (specific character hours) that involved using firearms on a daily basis. Along with the mental trauma that comes with it, but he can handle it if it’s absolutely necessary. 

12 minutes ago, peasoup said:

Yeah, it's not unrealistic, though they should spell out the criteria more specifically, maybe. But is your life specifically in danger, or just your stuff? That sort of thing can be used as a kind of criteria, since you're not supposed to murder someone for crimes against property.

Being held at gunpoint and shooting at me, beating me until I’m practically not breathing for little to no reason other than the fact that they were frustrated that I had nothing on me… pretty much defines that my life is in imminent danger lol. 

Edited by Cypher99
3 minutes ago, bncal said:

@Cypher99being a military doesn't mean you can kill and cope with it. If your character killed someone in the past? Probably requesting a firearm is not a good idea.

So military veterans now can’t carry a weapon? Yet a cat wearing vigilante can carry one? Do you realize how little sense that makes? Lol

Edited by Cypher99

Just try again. I got the good cause validated and approved for my character (very dangerous job + past occupations showing that he's properly trained), then I failed the CCW test. No problem! I try again, and then the good cause was rejected by another officer, even though it was literally the same lol. Resubmitted it, as-is, and a third officer accepted it. It's very inconsistent ^^' 

Plus, there's recently been a sort of idea going rampant across the forums, that every legal civilian is a CCW-equipped vigilante (while in reality most of them only have a PF and aren't supposed to carry the gun on them). So I suppose it may have played a part.