CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

On 3/2/2023 at 10:47 PM, iFlyKid said:

Not sure why we still enforce the 'good cause' for CCW, when in the real world all of the 50 states have gone from "May Issue to Shall Issue" states. Especially after Bruen v. New York Rifle & Pistol Association https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf it was determined in the SCOTUS Supreme Court that this is unconstitutional and goes against the 2nd Amendment for the right to bare arms. Not sure if Los Santos will be included as a fictional state that was impacted by Bruens case. But if you look at the LASD website / NYPD as an example (https://lasd.org/ccw/), they have to adjust their CCW application to remove the 'good cause' portion followed by Bruen v. NYRPA 

However, most states have discretion to increase their CCW fees to obtain a license. For example, in California it would cost you about $1,080 to obtain a CCW from beginning to end, and comes with a nice whopping 600$ renewal fee, to keep your CCW every 2 years. This is done so you don't have someone in poor low income areas getting easy access to a CCW and you'll think twice about paying for a firearm license. Since we're roleplaying a fictional city in California, make it according to GTA$ currency. So, 1,000$ will realistically be 100,000K$ for a license, with a 60K renewal fee plus all the hurtles to be competent with a firearm, i.e. go to a firearms course etc., not sure if someone would rather pay 100K for a license or buy a car with that.  

Well someone can just sue the state mentioning precedent from Bruen v. NYRPA I stand corrected by mister @H04X that the case is voided. 😞

Edited by stringer
On 3/2/2023 at 12:47 PM, iFlyKid said:

Not sure why we still enforce the 'good cause' for CCW, when in the real world all of the 50 states have gone from "May Issue to Shall Issue" states. Especially after Bruen v. New York Rifle & Pistol Association https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf it was determined in the SCOTUS Supreme Court that this is unconstitutional and goes against the 2nd Amendment for the right to bare arms. Not sure if Los Santos will be included as a fictional state that was impacted by Bruens case. But if you look at the LASD website / NYPD as an example (https://lasd.org/ccw/), they have to adjust their CCW application to remove the 'good cause' portion followed by Bruen v. NYRPA 

However, most states have discretion to increase their CCW fees to obtain a license. For example, in California it would cost you about $1,080 to obtain a CCW from beginning to end, and comes with a nice whopping 600$ renewal fee, to keep your CCW every 2 years. This is done so you don't have someone in poor low income areas getting easy access to a CCW and you'll think twice about paying for a firearm license. Since we're roleplaying a fictional city in California, make it according to GTA$ currency. So, 1,000$ will realistically be 100,000K$ for a license, with a 60K renewal fee plus all the hurtles to be competent with a firearm, i.e. go to a firearms course etc., not sure if someone would rather pay 100K for a license or buy a car with that.  

To obtain my CCW in the state of California, I had to take an eight hour course from a state approved instructor who varied in what they would charge for the course. After completing the eight hour course, I was given a certificate with the firearm that I used and the serial number because that is what is required when you submit the paperwork. I also had to submit two forms of ID including my driver's license as well as a utility bill, registration, or something showing I had current residency in my city. 

The CCW through the Sheriff's Office for me costed $200. I paid half first and then the second half upon completing the course. When you do the application online, they want to know about any citations received through out your adult life: speeding, no registration, no insurance, et cetera. They also want to know if you ever had been issued tickets or arrested as a minor. When they run your background, they're gonna know, so if you lie in any form, you'll probably be immediately denied following the interview.

When I did my interview, they asked me the same questions that I filled out online and I told them everything that I wrote down. They asked me for references, my employment history and current employment. The final question was why I wanted to obtain a CCW and I told them for "Self-Defense." - as these were my instructor's words as they have no other reason to ask why and you have no other reason to tell them why. It took about four weeks before I was called by a Deputy to tell me my CCW packet was approved and I would receive my card and paperwork in the mail.

California is not a Duty to Inform state, I have no reason or obligation to inform a officer who pulls me over that I have a weapon with me. When they ask me for my registration, insurance and driver's license, I include my CCW card anyway as a courtesy. I'm sure that if I didn't provide them with my CCW card, my license would show that I do have a valid CCW.

My upcoming renewal for my CCW is $75, I have no idea where you got the $1,080 from beginning to end unless it varies in different counties as far as fees.

Edited by Prism
  • Upvote 4
6 hours ago, Prism said:

To obtain my CCW in the state of California, I had to take an eight hour course from a state approved instructor who varied in what they would charge for the course. After completing the eight hour course, I was given a certificate with the firearm that I used and the serial number because that is what is required when you submit the paperwork. I also had to submit two forms of ID including my driver's license as well as a utility bill, registration, or something showing I had current residency in my city. 

The CCW through the Sheriff's Office for me costed $200. I paid half first and then the second half upon completing the course. When you do the application online, they want to know about any citations received through out your adult life: speeding, no registration, no insurance, et cetera. They also want to know if you ever had been issued tickets or arrested as a minor. When they run your background, they're gonna know, so if you lie in any form, you'll probably be immediately denied following the interview.

When I did my interview, they asked me the same questions that I filled out online and I told them everything that I wrote down. They asked me for references, my employment history and current employment. The final question was why I wanted to obtain a CCW and I told them for "Self-Defense." - as these were my instructor's words as they have no other reason to ask why and you have no other reason to tell them why. It took about four weeks before I was called by a Deputy to tell me my CCW packet was approved and I would receive my card and paperwork in the mail.

California is not a Duty to Inform state, I have no reason or obligation to inform a officer who pulls me over that I have a weapon with me. When they ask me for my registration, insurance and driver's license, I include my CCW card anyway as a courtesy. I'm sure that if I didn't provide them with my CCW card, my license would show that I do have a valid CCW.

My upcoming renewal for my CCW is $75, I have no idea where you got the $1,080 from beginning to end unless it varies in different counties as far as fees.

Throughout this whole text, the good cause justification we have here on GTAW seems far more strict than what it seems IRL.

The weapon license system was designed and brought over by people from LSRP, it is a continuation of that old system. It’s not in-character. It is entirely out of character with a “roleplay” jacket slapped onto it to justify its existence in the game world. If there’s anything due for a revision it’s our weapon licensing system and firearms in general. For whatever reason there’s people who take personal offense to suggestions like that. Often the same people who either helped create it or helped keeping it in place. Wanting something new and different doesn’t mean that what we had was bad, it worked for a very long time. But it’s old. The system and climate it was originally designed in doesn’t exist anymore. Why couldn’t we evolve the way we do licensing and guns? Why evolve everything else but simultaneously hold onto few archaic systems? It’s that inconsistency in development and lack of willingness to change and renew things that people keep pointing out. Stop being afraid to make your own things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 2

Perhaps CCW should be made easier to get but PF should definitely be way harder. PF is in fact so easy to get that it is one of the first things that new players go through. 

Everyone and their mother carries a gun, it's incomparably more difficult to get an illegal weapon. This results in seemingly every legal character somehow armed with an extended clip handgun of choice, while criminals are armed with toothpicks. When I'm being robbed/approached by a criminal character, I presume that they are armed with melee weapons. When I consider robbing a delivery guy, beauty salon employee or an innocent granny, I am absolutely certain that they'll be armed to the teeth.

Lack of CCW doesn't stop anyone from carrying their PF weapon around, don't fool yourself, it only means they shouldn't be caught with it by the police - something that barely ever happens because legal characters do legal activities and aren't caught and searched.

• Upvote 1