Players Are Already Skirting Around The New Robbery Rules

Torlo

3 minutes ago, Rumbunctious said:

Splendid story. Quite the pleasant read. Nice to see the continuity concerning the provision of robbery victims strive in a literary form as opposed to be forgotten with the weekly turn-over rate.

It's like sheep heat-soaking themselves to death if you don't sheer them every couple months.

I like how we're still pretending this robbery issue isn't a firearm issue, make it against the rules to rob firearms and we would see a significant decrease in robberies and an increase in quality. The bad robberies are 9/10 times aimed toward farming PF weapons, take that out of the equation and we don't need a wall of text, or a whole map to determine where people can get mugged. This is, and will always be a firearm treasure hunt, we wouldn't need ANY of these rules if we just made it against the rules to steal someone's firearm. (And of course, not allowing the civilian to use said firearm in the particular robbery scenario to even the playing field)

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I like how we're still pretending this robbery issue isn't a firearm issue, make it against the rules to rob firearms and we would see a significant decrease in robberies and an increase in quality. The bad robberies are 9/10 times aimed toward farming PF weapons, take that out of the equation and we don't need a wall of text, or a whole map to determine where people can get mugged. This is, and will always be a firearm treasure hunt, we wouldn't need ANY of these rules if we just made it against the rules to steal someone's firearm. (And of course, not allowing the civilian to use said firearm in the particular robbery scenario to even the playing field)

Robbing for the SOLE purpose of LOOT (weapons especially) should be disallowed, it is a 50% character development and 50% loot, don't allow it.

22 minutes ago, Rumbunctious said:

I'll do you one better. If this really is "farming PF weapons," as you call it, then let's stop handing PF weapons out to the sorts of characters that are most commonly targeted. Hell, by being stricter with who can and can't have PF guns, we may even cut down on some of all the ridiculous vigilantism around here!

This is America.

• Bospy locked this topic

8 hours ago, Keane said:

The general experience of the admin team and players that reached out with feedback was that the vast majority of poorly portrayed robberies/robberies just for assets were done by players that were not associated with existing illegal factions. Illegal faction leaders have a responsibility to make sure their members are not only RPing to a good standard, but they are abiding by the rules. Faction members that are involved in situations that are roleplayed badly or end up getting punished are reported to IFM. I'll let the specific process after that point be explained by someone from IFM but the summary is there is additional quality control in place for members of illegal factions. The level of quality control is lower outside of approved factions as it falls back on the rest of the admin team. It can be difficult to track problem players as they frequently go inactive, play on different characters or name change. 

The new rules are strict and they were written that way on purpose. As Bospy stated in his announcement, admins have been instructed on how to enforce it. We can really bring the hammer down on people who are generally out to provide shitty robbery RP. I did the other day when someone got kidnapped from the city and brought out to the county so they could essentially go through a strip search and have literally everything taken from them. The trio of robbers were also planning on driving back to the city to steal from the guy's car. The new rules made it much easier to issue punishments and explain where these players were wrong because it's clearly written in the rules. That's the purpose of this change. Illegal faction members, who in the vast majority of cases have a higher standard of RP, are able to commit crime with less restrictions than these rules impose. Their own restrictions are from their faction leaders and IFM. So if a faction based in Vespucci Beach decides to rob your character on said beach, you're much more likely to have a better RP experience and know that it is being done for RP purposes and not because it's another player or group of players that just want a shootout or guns.

As for how admins determine if people are in factions or not, that can be done with one command. Admins have internal guidelines on what to do in these situations. I'm not in a position to share more information than that publicly. Just know that they're descriptive enough to make the change easy to enforce. If any admin is unsure, they can consult IFM. 

I have to head to work shortly so I won't be responding here until much later. Someone from IFM will likely be responding in the next few hours too to clear up any more questions. Please keep things civil to make it easier for any questions to be cleared up.

Keane speaks well on the topic.

The basic idea behind the IFM announcement was to assure that illegal roleplayers do not suffer as a result of the new rule set. The new rule set targets people who do nothing but mug other players and aren't part of any factions. These players generally are not illegal roleplayers. Most extant illegal factions do not currently engage in widespread mugging operations. The vast majority of current problem muggings are committed by players outside of these factions.

The rules are meant to target the prolific robbers who hit upwards of 5 people a day and also kidnap people for the purposes of robbery. Illegal factions are held to a higher standard by IFM anyways, and if they do things like that we'll crack down on the faction as a whole.

15 hours ago, Engelbert said:

I think the new set of rules is aimed at robberies conducted by random groups of friends, which is what they meant probably. 

It can be a good set, if people try to understand, that it technically does not shield them from being robbed or anything.

We must understand that, official factions do not go out robbing people left and right at random. They have a system and I believe, that regarding

the question "If I create a new character and join official faction.....", no I believe, that they are picky about who can join and how.

Also there is one detail, some people seem to be overlooking. Once you are rping in a faction and doing stuff for them, your roleplay represents the faction itself.

No sane leader would just unleash their gangsters and let them run around unchecked.

Pretty much this as well.

I will remind you all that this server does not cater only to one specific kind of roleplay. The rules were passed not to benefit legal or illegal roleplayers. Personally, I'm not even a fan of having to implement geographic restrictions, and I much preferred the status quo before hand. But this is a ruleset that IFM was consulted on and we agreed on with stipulations.

I will say so long as I am an administrator, I will fight against ANY attempt to force crime to limited spaces. You are always at risk of being victimized as a legal roleplayer, that is just part and parcel of playing the game, just as it is part and parcel of being in a big city in real life. We are stopping you being victimized by poor roleplay or rule violators. If you consider every kind of illegal RP to be poor roleplay, then that is a personal issue.

People who are not malicious, who are serious about portraying a criminal, who engage enthusiastically in roleplay with other players should not be targeted by arbitrary and capricious rules prohibiting them from interacting with other players based on their location on the map. Illegal characters, genuine ones, are what we want to see. Most robberies are done by people just looking for items, and this ruleset cuts down on that. Factions cater to serious illegal characters, not people looking for items.

Here's a few examples of crime in very public places in real life:

https://www.foxla.com/news/men-beaten-robbed-in-hollywood-by-suspects-wearing-ski-masks

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/man-shot-killed-shooting-robbery-hollywood-bossa-nova-restaurant/2765472/

https://www.foxla.com/news/victims-robbed-of-jewelry-outside-luxury-hotel-in-downtown-la

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/local-news/crimes-los-angeles-rush-for-bullet-proof-cars-rolex-replicas-safe-rooms-1235062227/

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/22/california-highway-freeway-shootings-bay-area

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/714909934390870166/931319036858494976/gevorg_gasparyan_1.mp4

https://www.presstelegram.com/2021/04/20/long-beach-officials-hope-to-address-violent-crime-which-grew-amid-pandemic/

• Upvote 1