Alcohol Effects In /examine

SULLI

Yep. Alcohol is not and has never been viewed the right way — but there are significantly more people that RP drinking than doing drugs and it's rarely ever actually roleplayed around correctly.

A system that slowly works the drunk level down over time would be neat if possible, but at minimum extending it and making it visible in /ex would help so much.

Given the large amount of people that do not roleplay effects and downsides of their alcohol/substance consumption unless they are forced to, this would be a good first step to avoid your average scenario of "I hit a club, drink X amount of alcohol but the moment I step out the door, I am absolute sober to drive back home in my own car".

In general I think the BAC system and liquor itself needs tuning. Right now the liquor system does not differentiate in any meaningful way between what you're drinking, and that makes a huge difference for any sort of realistic portrayal. Currently, if someone drinks two pints of a brewery's beer, it puts them at over the illegal amount to drive. You'd have to be an incredibly small and anorexic person or you'd have to be drinking some absolutely killer cask-aged Imperial beers for two pints to get you sloshed to the point you're blowing a 0.1 -- meanwhile some people still exist out there who RP that each liquor item they're handed is a "bottle" and I guarantee you you're not going to be blowing a 0.05 after downing an entire bottle of Jack Daniel's.

I am for a little bit more script-enforced drunkenness as I think it's an important part of RPing liquor consumption. I'm a little bit worried about how it would look because I don't appreciate the script powergaming for my character--I roleplay a person who's tall, has a good amount of body fat, and who has a high alcohol tolerance due to a lifetime of alcoholism. I keep track of what my character drinks in a notepad along with the time it was consumed, and I use that to roleplay how intoxicated she appears. I also try to accurately portray that, when she's drinking more heavily, that she's often actually more intoxicated than she appears to be (alcohol tolerance affects how you conduct yourself while drunk, not how drunk your body physically is).

But I recognize that I'm very much in the minority of players doing this. I just hope any sort of script-enforced drunkenness won't force me to RP that my character is staggering and unable to keep upright because she downed six cans of beer over a 2 hour period. I think a good first step with a system like this would it be for it to return messages to the player of the character giving them advice on how to roleplay this intoxication.

I'd be happy to provide lines to the developers for such a system. 

Edited by Ink
  • Upvote 1