Racing cars and how do you think that impacts the server?

Pokušaj

8 minutes ago, Gambler said:

I swear, put racing cars behind applications or racing factions. All the civilians wanting to be badass at the same time is cringe. At least if they're forced to be fast and furious faction they're gonna look more organized and proper.

This

Take that shit seriously and don't make a meme out of us who do take it seriously. You run a track build off the tarmac? Role-play it overheating, role-play feeling every bump in the road, role-play the incredibly expensive costs that come with something such as a project car, up to and including spending more on gas than on rent since they guzzle. Not only role-play building it, but if you go for the odd JDM shtick, role-play how you can't fit in stuff such as a ZR250 or a Kawaii if you're 6ft, role-play how the cars and builds are unreliable, and role-play how as an inexperienced street taught "mechanic" you are literally gonna drive yourself into poverty by doing trial and error "builds" (lol) on things that inevitably will break. None, and I mean none, of the people that role-play street racers, know what blowing a head gasket actually means other than seeing some shit on an RX7 meme page. Most of them don't even know what basic car maintenance looks like.

Street racing doesn't mean Fast Furious. Street racing means being so poor you'd run a quarter mile for a buck in a rusty hooptie to break bread and make bread.

Street racing isn't particularly a thing itself (please stop LIVING for it to a nonsensical degree, I promise you, you are not Paul Walker, and that dude was an actor, so the Brian OConnor lifestyle just isn't palpable in reality) but one thing out of a plethora of money making options that are less seedy than dope dealing.

It is nonsensical for your character to be doing it "for fun." after your character starts losing money and time in it.

And for the passionate type of characters ones, it means money burned, time lost, sweat and all for very little to no reward unless you're actually planning to go legit in some Travis Pastrana way. And if you're planning that, motorsport is a dog eat dog world and you're either good or you're out. Teams don't play about that. And "good" doesn't mean outrunning the PD Interceptor.

You may notice this post repeats role-play to an irritating level. That's what you should do, role-play. Period. I'm pretty certain 99.99% of those who do street race In Character just don't role-play at all and GTAW is a NFS World patch for them.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 6
1 hour ago, Pokušaj said:

I think the problem is the 200k money they get on the start, they should lower it at least to 100k cause people first get the car, then they get apartment or whatever they need. Instead of doing that, they should not be bothered with 100-150-200k cars and find some job to stick around with, to actually develop it into someone who has passion for cars if they want to, or at least go around dealerships, start working there or mechanic garages, participate at the shows and so on. People very often make that mistake on the start, they buy a car, spend at least 100k, get a gun, 40-60k and go around robbing people in their fancy cars, bait cops, act up too much.

They wouldn't be buying these cars if they worked for 4k/h, sadly.

Honestly people who buy a sports car and wasting the whole 200 thousand on just that, poor portrayal. Also a lot of the people you see riding those expensive cars usually had a few Name-changes or CK's behind them resulting in the bank account of their character being quite full on money. Even if they lower the starter paychecks to lets say 100k a person can just buy and sell cars and actually get a lot of cash that way then buy the sports car and other things.

Edited by Vash Baldeus

44 minutes ago, liq said:

Take that shit seriously and don't make a meme out of us who do take it seriously. You run a track build off the tarmac? Role-play it overheating, role-play feeling every bump in the road, role-play the incredibly expensive costs that come with something such as a project car, up to and including spending more on gas than on rent since they guzzle. Not only role-play building it, but if you go for the odd JDM shtick, role-play how you can't fit in stuff such as a ZR250 or a Kawaii if you're 6ft, role-play how the cars and builds are unreliable, and role-play how as an inexperienced street taught "mechanic" you are literally gonna drive yourself into poverty by doing trial and error "builds" (lol) on things that inevitably will break. None, and I mean none, of the people that role-play street racers, know what blowing a head gasket actually means other than seeing some shit on an RX7 meme page. Most of them don't even know what basic car maintenance looks like.

Street racing doesn't mean Fast Furious. Street racing means being so poor you'd run a quarter mile for a buck in a rusty hooptie to break bread and make bread.

Street racing isn't particularly a thing itself (please stop LIVING for it to a nonsensical degree, I promise you, you are not Paul Walker, and that dude was an actor, so the Brian OConnor lifestyle just isn't palpable in reality) but one thing out of a plethora of money making options that are less seedy than dope dealing.

It is nonsensical for your character to be doing it "for fun." after your character starts losing money and time in it.

And for the passionate type of characters ones, it means money burned, time lost, sweat and all for very little to no reward unless you're actually planning to go legit in some Travis Pastrana way. And if you're planning that, motorsport is a dog eat dog world and you're either good or you're out. Teams don't play about that. And "good" doesn't mean outrunning the PD Interceptor.

You may notice this post repeats role-play to an irritating level. That's what you should do, role-play. Period. I'm pretty certain 99.99% of those who do street race In Character just don't role-play at all and GTAW is a NFS World patch for them.

This is actually a pretty solid post. I actually remember the guy who sold my char a Kawaii mentioned that he's selling it, cause he simply doesn't fit. He was 6'0. And honestly, if you've sat inside a Miata, or any small Japanese coupe, the first thing you notice is how cramped the legroom is, and how your eyes are basically the same height as the top of the windshield frame.

Sadly, people roleplaying actually building their cars and swapping parts is incredibly rare. If it's someone having their car built by a mechanic garage, they want it done under three minutes, and if you're not finished, you get hitmans called on you (happened).

My current character has a leased char, and what I can say is, it's definitely making me more careful about roleplaying around it, maintaining it, and I tend to stick to 30-40 MPH in town, and about 70-80 outside. Putting the majority of the sports cars behind leases might have this effect on others, and depending on the prices of the cars, there could easily be some leniency shown to the owners. Not as much as there is now, but some.

1 hour ago, liq said:

Hats off to you man. You could set a good example if you take the initiative to lead a racing faction.

1 hour ago, liq said:

The problem with this is that nobody wants to do it this way, I had the idea of doing something similar, night races, stopwatch competitions, etc, with the realism of the vehicles and etc, but nobody dared to do it with me, so neither I tried.

banham used to be a place of roleplay, being in what i would believe was the first group to actively roleplay there - I can say without a doubt shit went downhill when stuff was a bit more public and open to others

I sort of shed a tear watching nowadays shitters consider it a "known racing track" and just run out of bound roads like some sort of impromptu gta:o racing lobby where you trashtalk eachothers mothers because you're 14 year olds behind a screen

unfortunately, its a concept that warrants far more hatred and bad fame than anything else - and having been someone so interested in it, no matter how stale or overused it may be or sound - this truly does hurt me that people would eventually grow so aversive to even the sheer sight of a sports car

in all honesty, this just feels like a fancier version of the davis stereotype - where you no longer live with expectations due to a lack of detail and effort in one's actions that anyone else will most likely fit in that grand scheme

unfortunately, its true, people run old vehicles, highly modified and roleplay around it but the issue is that...at the end of the day you're still just doing so as a character concept excuse to do your menial bullshit - where as i feel the underground car culture would far off be well represented by more interaction and less pointless racing

people dont move locations, people dont think smart, people dont use anything besides the usual 3-4 roads and that shows because every 8 months or so a group of wise racers shows up and eventually fades due to boredom or getting caught. a good and well detailed concept would never have this happen to it - it's not the game, its the player

and unfortunately, the player is also responsible for ludicrous actions such as chasing firetrucks and pointless cop baiting that anyone else with a fully legitimate daredevil risk and reward idea like that, that would actually be justifiable by them accepting any possible consequences would never be allowed to do it over john and jane doe's bullshit driving antics

like with everything illegal, if you dont do it well and you dont do it smart, dont come crying when it doesnt work

Edited by Blackbird
  • Upvote 4

Unfortunately, a lot of people (not all, but I'd say a good majority) who decide to portray 'car enthusiast' characters do it the completely wrong way, with either no understanding of what those characters would do & how they'd behave in real life, or no desire whatsoever to put in the time into researching it. Without trying to come off as aggressive, or sound like I'm mocking anyone -- If I had a dollar for every time I stumbled upon a flawed car enthusiast character, I'd be able to afford a mark four stock Supra (pun very much so intended).

Basing your character off of inaccurate, glamorized representation of car enthusiasts found in the mainstream media such as "The Fast & The Furious" movie franchise or "Need for Speed", coupled with the aforementioned lack of research & some wild fantasies is not going to work. In reality, there are no multi storey parking garages filled with tricked out imports with six-figures worth of modifications under the hood, half-naked models in mini skirts and six inch heels racing in modified-beyond-recognition Skylines, street takeovers in the middle of a large metropolitan city where the cops are either too scared to show up or inept at doing their job, or whatever else various movie producers with little to no experience might think of (They actually intended to use Dodge Neons as enthusiast cars in F&F, that's how much the people writing those scripts are 'in' on what's going on in the so-called car community).

Coming from someone who's been into cars for years and years now, went to countless car meets & spent hours upon hours researching about the car community in the United States -- It's not as flashy as they make it appear to be, tone it down a notch or two, or more like ten. But, I'm rambling on and I have a feeling that my response might start to offend some people, which is not my intention, so I'll cut it short. What can we, as players do to fix it? Removing the starter bonus won't have any effect on it. Removing 'enthusiast' cars won't do the trick either. People's mentalities need to change, They need to start doing proper research and understanding that ignoring what's going on in the real world and focusing on mainstream media portrayal of their desired 'character type' will make their roleplay look extremely questionable, not just to those who know a thing or two about cars & the car community, but everyone. 

Edited by Brian

I'd love to see a proper "racer" faction that would be more of a community of car enthusiasts that could guide these wannabe racers. Right now? 9 out of 10 racers don't roleplay anything about their car, all they do is speed through the city, cop bait and do donuts in the middle of a road. Not to mention when a random racer starts brake checking me, pits me out of nowhere and then speeds off with no roleplay. Or when they crash going 150 mp/h and do /vp, /vg and continue with their racing bullshit. It's hard to report these players since they usually have the darkest tint and will speed off right after doing something retarded so you won't catch their name.

Admins need to give out harsher punishment for cop baiting and not roleplaying anything after high-speed crashes. 

I do not mind quality and proper street racing roleplay. Sadly, most do not roleplay. Most characteristics you can see from street racers are;

- Claiming they had texture loss / nothing loaded for them after crashing into a wall at 100MPH+ in city.

- Just not roleplaying car crashes at all, especially during police pursuits.

- /vp and /vg to reset damages - someone was caught for that and got ajail only.

- They exist almost purely for police pursuits. If not for police pursuits, then to cause havoc to other players by crashing into them and NOT roleplaying those crashes. SAPR would like a word on this.

Yes, you may say fill a player report and/or /report them in-game but that's very difficult to do so if;

- Admins are busy or unavailable to handle such in-game reports.

- You don't know their name nor ID.

PD's Interceptors (aka Police Torrence) used to be a reliable anti-racing traffic police unit, able to catch up even the top tier racing cars you could see on the streets. It could top 140MPH+ speed without any issue (at the cost of terrible handling). As of result, racers were actually afraid of those units and usually be "defeated" by them. That is until the modding team/development team (idk who, I forgot) nerfed them after community's complaints.

While Police Interceptors are still better than most basic police cars (has higher acceleration and handling), they are no longer capable to stop top tier cars in straight roads. Furthermore, PD (and I imagine SD too) stopped pursuing those top tier cars because it simply isn't worth it as we would rather provide traffic roleplay than turn GTA:W into GTA:O Need for Speed because someone was bored and attracted police attention over nothing.

I'm not asking for buffs. I'm asking that there needs to be strict rules over unrealistic street racing roleplay. They have no place in GTA:W unless it is done properly and with roleplay. As in, not self-voiding car crashes by themselves because you see that a LOT.

Ever since Strobe created a realistic Speed Radar system, we caught so many players speeding 100MPH+ in CITY. There is no fear at all. It's unrealistic to drive 100MPH+ in city for no reason. There's no racing in LA so I would like to suggest that there should be rules in place for street racers. At least make it restricted in city but allowed on highways/county as they are more.... safe. For the most part.

EDIT:

I believe Nervous is aware of this problem, he implemented evading clauses. For example, if you evade once? Your car gets impounded for 7 days. Evaded again (second offence)? 14 days. This is good but not a solution to the entire problem. Penal code needs to be revamped, particularly on traffic laws and evasion - they are very relaxed.

Edited by thekillergreece