Forbid the facemask meta

Kappaurel

5 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

That image is from 2020, when COVID was already here and masks were mandatory in New York (where this happened) 😄

I'd however appreciate more IRL images and cases of criminals wearing these masks to commit crimes if you can find them, thank you! (Pre-Covid though)

NuBwurm.png

happened as far back as 1984:

lQsC8d2.png

And like @Daquan Kingston, I'm also from a large city in the US where it was pretty commonplace to see people walking around in surgical masks pre-Covid (in some areas more than others, but still...). 

In any case, you asked for others to share their opinions so here's mine. There's nothing wrong with anyone wearing these masks on the streets, criminal or not. There's also nothing wrong with criminals using them solely with the intention of committing a crime. The only problem I can see with this (as with anything else that may be realistic in RP) is if it's overdone and we're seeing a trend of most criminals hiding behind a surgical mask because that isn't very realistic.  But I don't think we're at that point. So far, this seems like an IC issue at best but I don't see an issue at all. 

Edited by Taina

It is only meta as long as it is the most efficient tactic available. The moment Law Enforcement questions you wearing a face mask for no reason, crime committed with more and more face masks being used and people avoiding or reporting you for being suspicious and falling under a stereotype of suspicious individuals prone to commit crime, the meta will inevitably shift.

1 hour ago, Taina said:

if it's overdone and we're seeing a trend of most criminals hiding behind a surgical mask

This is where it's heading. Nobody else wears a surgical mask ingame. This is exclusively something only being implemented by criminals on any scale, and specifically for the purposes of facilitating criminal activity.

That said, as someone else pointed out, it'll become a "suspicious activity" to wear a surgical mask, as the only times they'll be seen worn is during criminal activities, or worn by people wanted for criminal activity.