Forbid the facemask meta

Kappaurel

I just want to be able to /examine MASK'd players. Remind people in their /attributes screen not to use their name in their description.

Just because someone's wearing a mask doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to tell how tall/short they are, what kind of build they have, what kind of accent they speak with - identifying tattoos if they have skin exposed, if they're wearing perfume/cologne etc. The ones who are good at disguising themselves will remember to fix their attributes before they MASK.

7 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

It is play to win because people do it just to get a benefit,

And also, I think that's the whole point of masks? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of the people use masks to have the benefit of being unrecognizable in some way

These face masks have been used a lot when it comes to crime IRL. I see no issue with players using this as a mask. It has no correlation to COVID-19. On a realistic aspect, if someone is being looked for by police agencies, it's better to wear a mask like the above rather than wearing a full balaclava, which one is going to look my suspicious?

Below is an example of these masks being used in a real life setting and I'm sure I could pull more images if I wanted to:

Spoiler

A6F1334B-6534-492B-83F3-028AEAF12CFA.png

This honestly should be left to an IC issue, there's no meta behind this method at all nor will it ever be a meta, it's just realistic to crime. Some people wear balaclavas, some wear the above image. Forbidding the use of /maskname for people using these masks will just be a slap in the face and at the moment, it shouldn't ever be forbidden.

• Upvote 3

I guess there's an argument that you're no longer allowed to rob people using a motor-bike because it was the 'meta' once upon a time. The problem is, the more you change the goalposts, the more people will adapt to a 'new meta'. motor-bikes became 4-man robbery squads. If anything it got worse.

Is there anything wrong with people roleplaying this specific kind of bahvior from a realism perspective, or are we just wanting to prohibit it becausue it's commonly used?

14 minutes ago, Fasholy said:

And if you're a cop, start stopping people on the streets and tell them to take the mask off their face.

This but basically for everyone. COVID doesn't exist in our universe, masks were basically not a thing before the pandemic here in the US so it's perfectly normal for you to view it as suspicious and act accordingly. But sadly we're here once again in general discussions talking about banning something and talking about "Meta's". 

Edited by Trupiano
24 minutes ago, hipsxn said:

These face masks have been used a lot when it comes to crime IRL. I see no issue with players using this as a mask. It has no correlation to COVID-19. On a realistic aspect, if someone is being looked for by police agencies, it's better to wear a mask like the above rather than wearing a full balaclava, which one is going to look my suspicious?

Below is an example of these masks being used in a real life setting and I'm sure I could pull more images if I wanted to:

Hide contents

A6F1334B-6534-492B-83F3-028AEAF12CFA.png

This honestly should be left to an IC issue, there's no meta behind this method at all nor will it ever be a meta, it's just realistic to crime. Some people wear balaclavas, some wear the above image. Forbidding the use of /maskname for people using these masks will just be a slap in the face and at the moment, it shouldn't ever be forbidden.

That image is from 2020, when COVID was already here and masks were mandatory in New York (where this happened) 😄

I'd however appreciate more IRL images and cases of criminals wearing these masks to commit crimes if you can find them, thank you! (Pre-Covid though)

NuBwurm.png

Edited by Kappaurel
24 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

That image is from 2020, when COVID was already here and masks were mandatory in New York (where this happened) 😄

I'd however appreciate more IRL images and cases of criminals wearing these masks to commit crimes if you can find them, thank you! (Pre-Covid though)

NuBwurm.png

Regardless of Covid, I don't think they'd care too much about masks being mandatory when they were comitting a broad daylight murder.

Masks like these have been used in the past, people with allergies, heavily poluted areas and whatnot. It's not something exclusive of "covid" times. If the mask covers the face and makes you more inconspicuous than any other thing that can obstruct your face, then people will use it. There's no difference between this and a bandanna. Both can be put on and off with a tug very easily. If people are chosing to use this instead, that's their choice and I don't believe forbidding their usage will do anything, people will just use a different mask.

On another note, these masks as I said have been used before Covid was a thing. Here's just one article from 2009.

Also a chain of tweets, where multiple crimes where flu/surgical masks were used... From 1918.

Spoiler

Edited by JackieH
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, JackieH said:

Regardless of Covid, I don't think they'd care too much about masks being mandatory when they were comitting a broad daylight murder.

Masks like these have been used in the past, people with allergies, heavily poluted areas and whatnot. It's not something exclusive of "covid" times. If the mask covers the face and makes you more inconspicuous than any other thing that can obstruct your face, then people will use it. There's no difference between this and a bandanna. Both can be put on and off with a tug very easily. If people are chosing to use this instead, that's their choice and I don't believe forbidding their usage will do anything, people will just use a different mask.

On another note, these masks as I said have been used before Covid was a thing. Here's just one article from 2009.

Also a chain of tweets, where multiple crimes where flu/surgical masks were used... From 1918.

Hide contents

That is an interesting thread in Twitter, knew making this discussion thread would at least bring some interesting different views and arguments to it, thank you

Edited by Kappaurel