State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

1 hour ago, Gambler said:

I'm curious to read what people think about civilian characters who don't have an objective when created or a purpose.

I generally don't have a clear objective at first, ever. I just have ideas on themes I'd like to explore, and try to see how it works organically with the environment. It can start with very vague statements:

My Jamaican character started as me trying to explore the general concept of "hard-working immigrant from poor country tries to make a better life for himself in Los Santos" and it quickly evolved to wanting to explore community outreach and things like wanting to make a better life for everyone around him.

With my DJ character, it started essentially as "high school dropout from law enforcement latino family tries to make a living" and it became "local man chooses to become a mallrat for clout (and hates it)".

On the other hand, my Native American explored the idea of being born and raised in a reservation (also represented mostly by an illegal faction) that questions and dislikes police authority, colonialism etc. but then feels the call of nature by becoming a Park Ranger (and therefore a cop).

Then again, some concepts or purposes seem pretty attractive when you first start, but then fall flat for a multitude of reasons (no interest for that concept, struggles to actually portray it properly, it not being as fun as it seemed...). I think that vague concepts work best because you can fine tune and alter what works and doesn't work, but you shouldn't go in with something very specific in mind because organic RP a lot of the time leads into better, more natural RP.

14 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Unsure if you intended to say this, but... You can have a goal while "going with the flow", allowing the environment to shape the outcome of your character. Nothing should be linear. 

I realized I might've been unclear. What I mean is, our characters, be that created for a faction or not, should have a personality and set of skills to begin with. Or maybe a PROFILE might be the right word to use. I find it awkward to create a 18y/o but with the prepration of a baby. For example. I created a character who was a 35y/o film director, pacifist, empathic person. That's my character. However, I wan't to have options available without ruining my character. I decided to look up ICly suitable opportunities. Part of the flow was working with City Gov for short film competition. Part of the flow was teaching film at ULSA. Part of the flow was also brainstorming with Doppler Cinema. See what I mean? Keeping a profile.

Edited by Gambler
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Gambler said:

What you see as nefs, I see as balanced.

Balance? Are we playing an MMORPG?

Where is the balance between Illegal Roleplayers and Civilians then? Civilians get robbed and killed daily by Illegal Roleplayers, and the Admins/State won't even let them buy CCW guns to defend themselves. Where's your balance?

Edited by pateuvasiliu
4 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Balance? Are we playing an MMORPG?

Where is the balance between Illegal Roleplayers and Civilians then? Civilians get robbed and killed daily by Illegal Roleplayers, and the Admins/State won't even let them buy CCW guns to defend themselves. Where's your balance?

I honestly don't have an answer for you. Civilians are supposed to be vulnerable in face of life-threatening events. Their only way of protection is carrying licensed guns and law enforcement coming to the rescue.  I'm not really fond of RPG elements myself. I've always felt oppressed by PD as illegal RPer tho', and made me turn to legal-civilian RP ever since. I try to stay away from any kind of scenario that might make me use the menu more than the RP lines. That's when shit always gets hairy.

1 hour ago, TinyPotato said:

why df do I need a "purpose" to rp a character?

is my purpose to join some half baked faction and fabricate screenshots like the rest of you mutts? get outta hea

all a character needs is 2 things;

1) to be plausible/reasonable in who/what they are

2) to be portrayed/roleplayed as a proper human being and not a self-insert, stereotype, or meme

many characters with a "purpose" suck. if ur characters "purpose" was to join a faction then you probably suck

like fuck most people in life don't have a "purpose" 

some (many?) people are bad RP'ers and having them contrive some nonsense ooc goals isn't going to magically make them suck less

Agreed. Couldn't have put it better myself. 

6 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

I think that says a lot more about your attitude towards roleplay than it does about the server.

The LEO factions here have received countless nerfs they shouldn't have.

As someone who's been on both sides of the coin before, I wouldn't really call them nerfs, I think it is more of a balance thing. Sure, realism and portrayal is important, but you do have to remember at the end of the day, it is just a game. If one side gains an enormous advantage over the other, it becomes unenjoyable from an OOC standpoint. You have to remember roleplaying is a hobby, this is supposed to be fun for us. It's not particularly fun to engage in pursuit with the police, only to have them catch you in five seconds because the Torrence drives at the speed of sound. There's gotta be an equal balance of fun and realism. Without that, roleplay becomes a chore.

Edited by Dom.
2 hours ago, Dom. said:

As someone who's been on both sides of the coin before, I wouldn't really call them nerfs, I think it is more of a balance thing.

So they're nerfs.

And you can't invoke balance when Civilians have been completely oppressed by illegal players. Where's the balance there? It's so bad civilians aren't roleplaying outdoors anymore.

3 hours ago, Gambler said:

Do you have a hard time staying in topic without being emotionally involved or what?

My response isn't any more emotional than yours is.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

So they're nerfs.

And you can't invoke balance when Civilians have been completely oppressed by illegal players. Where's the balance there? It's so bad civilians aren't roleplaying outdoors anymore.

No dude. Please understand that civilians are perfectly fine. If they're oppressed by illegal RPers it was mainly because of ooc roleplay rules and poor RP standards. In the case of PD vs Illegal RP, what is OP is the RPG elements and also PD using IC voice coms. Therefore when someone uses the term "balanced" it's because that's the correct term to use when mentioning RPG elements. Not because it's an MMORPG. Gun damage, fire rates, top speeds, turn rate of vehicles, and much more, are all RPG. That's the explanation.

As for the rest.
If civilians are scared to roleplay outdoors because a RULE gives the edge to illegal RPers, then the problem is with the rule, with the person that drafted the rule, and keeps allowing it to happen. The roleplay quality standards have exponentially dropped ever since the time that GTA was free for grab in EPIC Games store and that's what caused the oppression of civilian characters by the illegal side. 
With factions(illegal or legal) who are good at filtering bad roleplayers out, the civilian RP scene is met with an increase in numbers of shitty RPers, that outnumber heavily the good civilians. The same happens with people who want to RP criminals, but good illegal factions do not allow them in, resulting in these roleplayers poorly executing robberies and killing on their own.
Now mash it all up together and the outdoors is left with an unmatched number of shitty civilian roleplayers, shitty criminals, and LEO. And I don't want to blame anyone who doesn't have a green, red or purple name, but this is all a product of constantly decreasing roleplay standards, and making a mockery of the rules that they made themselves.

Edited by Gambler
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Gambler said:

The roleplay quality standards have exponentially dropped ever since the time that GTA was free for grab in EPIC Games store and that's what caused the oppression of civilian characters by the illegal side. 
With factions(illegal or legal) who are good at filtering bad roleplayers out, the civilian RP scene is met with an increase in numbers of shitty RPers, that outnumber heavily the good civilians. The same happens with people who want to RP criminals, but good illegal factions do not allow them in, resulting in these roleplayers poorly executing robberies and killing on their own.
Now mash it all up together and the outdoors is left with an unmatched number of shitty civilian roleplayers, shitty criminals, and LEO. And I don't want to blame anyone who doesn't have a green, red or purple name, but this is all a product of constantly decreasing roleplay standards, and making a mockery of the rules that they made themselves.

Finally someone gets it.

• Gore locked this topic