State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

10 minutes ago, Koko said:

Acquiring and operating a simple, small business for RP unless you have the OOC connections for a property (which many people would love to) and going through Property Management feels like pulling teeth

It can be outright I possible with the current setup. I wanted to open an office with a focus on roleplay, but creating an environment where roleplay would be the focus meant being uncompetitive and unprofitable in a market where both are mandatory.

I can't move the money on a character already in a job that can afford it, and it wouldn't matter anyway. It would be a money sink, with negative returns until I either choose to forego roleplay for success, or the competition willingly rolls over and dies.

It's a weird way we have things set up, with a focus on script gains over roleplay in order to.make roleplay viable... It really snuffs the potential for roleplaying outside a limited few circles that require extensive study and real work hours to exist.

3 hours ago, Koko said:

Most honest civilian depictions I've seen (and played) were ultimately all mocked to death by illegal RPers they shared their space with until their players found no fun playing them or just resorted to becoming funny meme characters. I have RPed in and around illegal RP spheres for years now, even playing exclusively civilian characters in South Central (to greater or lesser success). The problem aren't well established factions, groups and gangs. The problem are the rogue elements (the sort of unofficial groups that last 2 weeks and then get bored and try a different concept) that literally will not let you RP in a space as a civilian unless you want to be their punching bag for their Discord screenshot laughing circlejerks.

For many people, this leaves public civilians to be sort of jokey/troll NPCs because it is legitimately hard to play a normal civilian with an arc in many places. People want realistic civilians around them mostly as accessories and props to their own RP. Some civilians want to be some sort of protagonist of their own self-insert story just as much as some gang characters want to be the next Tony Montana in 2 weeks of RP.

Ultimately the problem is that there are not enough infrastructures out there for civilians to do things. The server caters to the so-called mallrats because you become a mallrat when you have nothing to do, nothing to create, and nothing to spend your money on other than flash cars and a penthouse. You become defined by what your character owns and the lifestyle you paint yourself to live, because there's nothing for you to do on the public sphere that isn't one of 5 jobs or one of 6 legal factions (and isn't just you RPing with yourself). 

Acquiring and operating a simple, small business for RP unless you have the OOC connections for a property (which many people would love to) and going through Property Management feels like pulling teeth, so we continue on the same spiral of people not being able to start their own small businesses to offer the server and give their characters purpose and meaning behind some hedonistic ERP trip.

It's actually so easy to get a business here if you have a good concept that can bring RP to people. PM members are actually very helpful if you reach out to them instead of making false accusations. I don't have any connections to PM but I got my business request approved easily. So don't say you need OOC connections. You just need a good idea that makes sense and that's it.

Edited by sCrax
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, sCrax said:

It's actually so easy to get a business here if you have a good concept that can bring RP to people. PM members are actually very helpful if you reach out to them instead of making false accusations. I don't have any connections to PM but I got my business request approved easily. So don't say you need OOC connections. You just need a good idea that makes sense and that's it.

I've reached out multiple times in my time with my PM woes and have had some really bad experiences, such as waiting for months to be able to give more RP to South Central by taking over the Barber Shop there and create an african american barber shop experience (which everyone in the community who heard of it IC and OOC was super excited about and kept asking when I'd open). Perhaps in recent times this has improved but historically the process of getting a request looked at has been horrific, particularly in long spans of time when property requests have been closed (only recently have we started to have regular property requests, before that requests had been closed for over 6 months at least, if memory serves).

Connections I meant were OOC connections to factions or individuals who own several businesses and are willing to sell one off to you, not connections with PM. Let's not beat around the bush here trying to deny that some properties are traded among friends to keep them "in the family".

Edited by Koko
On 1/19/2022 at 9:58 PM, Gallagher said:

most of the rule changes and administrative decisions are in favor of the civilian characters, so stringing on criminal roleplayers with promises of improvement is a waste of everyone's time. 

How high are you? Let me list you some things the Server/Admins have imposed that help Illegal roleplayers:

- Obtaining weapons as a civilian ( legally ) is unnecessarily complicated and requires more paperwork than some states do in real life

- Police are not allowed to use facial recognition, meaning most investigations are far, far harder than they should be

- The lack of video cameras everywhere

- Most Police rifles have been nerfed to semi automatic for no good reason

- PD cars have been nerfed speed wise ( Torrence used to be way better )

Edited by averycoolguy

I'm curious to read what people think about civilian characters who don't have an objective when created or a purpose. Personally I think the majority of civilian characters who get mocked are those who wander aimlessly without any real purpose, neglecting all the realities and hardships of life. This also leads to dumb shit like, suicide roleplay. After RPing completely sane, healthy, wealthy, super-social and hyperactive humans(as their descriptions suggest) they suddenly claim their character was met with depression, when in reality it was just IRL boredom.
And honestly I totally agree with making fun of these type of characters. Just like a clown asking for people to laugh. Characters without a purpose or goal when created are the worst. "Going with the flow" works only for players who are new to the server and are testing the waters and that's the only time we can make a blind eye. 
I've had the opportunity to have a conversation with a certain player who told that the main goal of his character was to commit suicide. I was speechless.

15 minutes ago, averycoolguy said:

- Obtaining weapons as a civilian ( legally ) is unnecessarily complicated and requires more paperwork than some states do in real life

- Police are not allowed to use facial recognition, meaning most investigations are far, far harder than they should be

- The lack of video cameras everywhere

- Most Police rifles have been nerfed to semi automatic for no good reason

- PD cars have been nerfed speed wise ( Torrence used to be way better )

What you see as nefs, I see as balanced.

Edited by Gambler
12 minutes ago, Gambler said:

Characters without a purpose or goal when created are the worst. "Going with the flow" works only for players who are new to the server and are testing the waters and that's the only time we can make a blind eye.

So, I can't create a character without a general "goal", but with a general background and let IC events dictate what happens to them? I suppose you'll be making fun of me then, lol. I've never created any character with an OOC goal. If I wanted to play a civilian, I would create a general background to start with and then go from there. It never led me to just float endlessly through the game with no purpose. The purpose just became clear once things started happening organically in-game.

17 minutes ago, Cypher99 said:

So, I can't create a character without a general "goal", but with a general background and let IC events dictate what happens to them? I suppose you'll be making fun of me then, lol. I've never created any character with an OOC goal. If I wanted to play a civilian, I would create a general background to start with and then go from there. It never led me to just float endlessly through the game with no purpose. The purpose just became clear once things started happening organically in-game.

The thing is. general background is who your character truly is. The upbringing up to the point of the characters creation. Family, friends,work and set of skills are what shaped your character. IC events are cirumstances that determine whether your character succeeds or fails. Either result it's respectable. That's what IC events are. Not some way of changing what you do for a living every 2 weeks. In real life, we all try to have a purpose and reach our goals. Take that away and you're left with a cops and robbers + dating simulator server.

Edited by Gambler
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, TinyPotato said:

why df do I need a "purpose" to rp a character?

is my purpose to join some half baked faction and fabricate screenshots like the rest of you mutts? get outta hea

all a character needs is 2 things;

1) to be plausible/reasonable in who/what they are

2) to be portrayed/roleplayed as a proper human being and not a self-insert, stereotype, or meme

many characters with a "purpose" suck. if ur characters "purpose" was to join a faction then you probably suck

like fuck most people in life don't have a "purpose" 

some (many?) people are bad RP'ers and having them contrive some nonsense ooc goals isn't going to magically make them suck less

Dude, who even mentioned factions? Are you trying to lash out to some faction on personal vengeance? I'm talking about normal human stuff. You wake up, go to work, go to school, try to get richer, happier, whatever you want. You name it. We're specifically talking about stricty CIVILIANS characters who merely exist to go clubbing at peak hours and roleplay indoors with their circlejerk.

Edited by Gambler
1 hour ago, Gambler said:

I'm curious to read what people think about civilian characters who don't have an objective when created or a purpose. Personally I think the majority of civilian characters who get mocked are those who wander aimlessly without any real purpose, neglecting all the realities and hardships of life. This also leads to dumb shit like, suicide roleplay. After RPing completely sane, healthy, wealthy, super-social and hyperactive humans(as their descriptions suggest) they suddenly claim their character was met with depression, when in reality it was just IRL boredom.
And honestly I totally agree with making fun of these type of characters. Just like a clown asking for people to laugh. Characters without a purpose or goal when created are the worst. "Going with the flow" works only for players who are new to the server and are testing the waters and that's the only time we can make a blind eye. 
I've had the opportunity to have a conversation with a certain player who told that the main goal of his character was to commit suicide. I was speechless.

What you see as nefs, I see as balanced.

Unsure if you intended to say this, but... You can have a goal while "going with the flow", allowing the environment to shape the outcome of your character. Nothing should be linear. 

15 minutes ago, TinyPotato said:

i mentioned them, me, i did, this poster, i like to shit on factions cus so many of 'em suck (most) but people applaud contrived screenshot threads of chars with predetermined goals/outcomes as if thats an RP standard to be held to or some shit. don't get me started on half-baked "development" where the outcomes are decided; this is the big contrast to ur cookie-cutter civ RPer and its not any better. when people shit on "civ RP" they imply, often, there's better RP when most RP suffers from the same problems. 

what im saying is the notion of "purpose" is stupid and contrived and most peoples purposes for their characters are ooc nonsense that isn't magical make-good-rp motivation,

if anything peoples "purpose" for their chars leads them to RP dumb shit frequently 

also lots of shitty mall-rat club chars have purposes; their purpose is to get laid and look cool, which is loads of peoples "purpose" irl, the problem is they're badly constructed characters that are then portrayed poorly. 

RP isn't rocket science with some magic formula for success; you just gotta not suck and there's no quick way to make people not suck other than them growing up as people and realizing its more fun to properly RP then do some booboo ass bullshit 

I mean. I agree with everything that you said. Literally. I just don't wan to shit on factions in this topic.

Edited by Gambler
  • Gore locked this topic