State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

6 hours ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

You're trying to fit a very complicated thing into a Google spreadsheet. You're not factoring in time-zone differentiation, availability of housing, local availability of employment, the time your average player spends in game, the fact that many illegal roleplayers are intolerant or dismissive of civilian roleplayers causing divides within potential communities, the sheer lacks of player interest for certain sections of the map, the fact that many districts only appeal to certain socioeconomic bracketing, and a whole host of other variables that I'm sure I'm missing here.

There's a whole number of reasons why K-Town has been so successful as a community: they're central to the map; existing at a crossroads of several different districts, they're tolerance for legal roleplayers, they're made up of a relatively homogenous ethnic group, the successful illegal factions that have flourished there, the availability of player housing and employment options, the numerous businesses that open on a regular basis, the potential variety in socioeconomic brackets that can exist there, and an aestetic that a variety of players can appreciate. When it comes to creating a successful and active community it really boils down to location, location, location.

You can't just expect players to spread themselves evenly over the entire map; people flourish to the locations that most appeals to them. Mirror Park appeals to a specific demographic while not appealing to others. I personally would rather live in El Burro or Vespucci but that's just the types of characters I play. I don't expect a sizeable subset of the community to follow me to El Burro.

Let's just say, hypothetically that for whatever reason everyone in the community joins hands and spreads themselves evenly between the districts just like you've described: 44-88 in each. For a couple hours there's a bunch of active people standing together roleplaying in harmony. After a few more hours, the number starts to dwindle and by the time you hit the off hours you can't even count your 'community' on one hand. Once the players log off they cease to exist. They're not sleeping in the house next door or working at the supermarket close by. They no longer exist. This is also ignoring the fact that a great deal of roleplay on this server centers around traveling to businesses which tend to draw players away from their communities. Everything you've described only really works if all players are consistent and active.

Hypotheticals aside, nothing you've said will really fix the problem. People always try to adress the symptoms but never the cause. I've had characters shot at while my entire faction stood next to me. You can have two people or twenty and people will still test their luck. Many people on this server aren't playing characters with motivations, aspirations, and fears, and instead they use their characters as vehicles to fulfill desires they can't in real life. This is a problem that is visible to both the legal and illegal community. Some people don't want to roleplay characters, they just want to log on, get into a gunfight and log out for the night. These problems are rooting in bad roleplayers being allowed to flourish on this server, not the 'inability' of the civilian population to band together and conform to your simplified and utopian conception of how the server ought to function.

Thanks for this post. This explains the situation better than I could.

20 hours ago, NickyW said:

It's interesting you bring up a fictional city to compare against LS when there's real cities with worse raw numbers. Chicago for example has had 171 robberies in the last 7 days. I'm very interested if GTAW's Los Santos has had even a third of that in the last week. Chicago averaged ten shootings a day last year.

Yes, the crime rate on GTAW is unrealistically high, but it's not some dystopian wasteland that has nothing in real life that comes close.

Chicago also has 2.7 millions of people, not 1000.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:51 AM, NickyW said:

It's interesting you bring up a fictional city to compare against LS when there's real cities with worse raw numbers. Chicago for example has had 171 robberies in the last 7 days. I'm very interested if GTAW's Los Santos has had even a third of that in the last week. Chicago averaged ten shootings a day last year.

Yes, the crime rate on GTAW is unrealistically high, but it's not some dystopian wasteland that has nothing in real life that comes close.

As @pateuvasiliu said so as well, Chicago had 171 robberies per 2.700.000 people, so 0.0063% of its population was robbed this week. We probably have like 20 a day, all in all, so 140 a week, per ~600 people, so 24% of ours. If Chicago was Los Santos, it would have 648 thousand robberies a week, so more robberies than its population per month. This is just for robberies.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

As @pateuvasiliu said so as well, Chicago had 171 robberies per 2.700.000 people, so 0.0063% of its population was robbed this week. We probably have like 20 a day, all in all, so 140 a week, per ~600 people, so 24% of ours. If Chicago was Los Santos, it would have 648 thousand robberies a week, so more robberies than its population per month. This is just for robberies.

Bigger question is... is it REALLY twenty a day?

7 hours ago, DLimit said:

Bigger question is... is it REALLY twenty a day?

There's a report somewhere (it eludes me at this time, I am on mobile) where one person had contributed to five plus robberies in a 3 hour period. When I was in PD I'd get calls in of 3-4 in my 5 hour playtime, and those were only the reported ones.

9 hours ago, Mahitto said:

Just yesterday I mentioned the crime rate IG again, after being subjected to two grand theft autos in a single evening. At first I roleplayed them, but then I decided, naaaah unlikely this would happen in real life. Chances are there, but veeeery very low. Not as much low on the server it seems. For people who were robbed just few times per year, maybe you are lucky and maybe not, who knows, It is not a rule to become a victim every night or day, but my point always was that the possibility of it is way way higher than in real life.

Edited by Engelbert
1 hour ago, ChromaticDeath said:

There's a report somewhere (it eludes me at this time, I am on mobile) where one person had contributed to five plus robberies in a 3 hour period. When I was in PD I'd get calls in of 3-4 in my 5 hour playtime, and those were only the reported ones.

So, it's more along the lines that it happens on some days, but not everyday, if we want to be honest with ourselves.

More than likely voided, due to chain-robbing, as-well, which means that it would not be a part of our statistics.

• Gore locked this topic