State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

21 minutes ago, NickyW said:

Good Lord, that's absolutely insane. I had no idea.

As someone who RP's almost exclusively in the illegal scene, how am I so insulated from this? South LS must be a warzone.

Do these numbers include accidental deaths, DM's, etc (all scriptwise deaths?) or are they IC homicide statistics?

The admin that posted the charts at the time said that they were 100% from 1 player killing another player. They do a breakdown by weapon and time of day here:

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I'll just add my two cents here, I've been roleplaying on the server since late 2018 and early 2020 as an LEO, and I've only seen the situation worse then it is right now during the PK war week where LS turned into a bunch of war-lords committing a mass killing.

I understand that some people don't want to create a real life out of yhis game, and I'm not one of them, but a lot of people don't find it fun to deal with shootouts all the time. I do honestly miss all the non-violent calls, like, the most fun call I've had in the past couple of months was dragging a crazy dude off of a bench who believed aliens captured his dog, why? Because I was actually roleplating.

For me personally, and I'll ask the question from my perspective, what's that fun about responding to shootings? I don't find it fun, it's more script-wise stuff then actual roleplay, I'd much rather deal with somebody calling because they got robbed, I can at least RP with them, how am I supposed to RP with a dead-body?

There needs to be a fine line between a healthy amount of shootings, which don't have to be the real-life LA statistic, and what we have currently. It's just not healthy for the server.

3 hours ago, DLimit said:

Only been robbed, 3-4 times, in 2021. Three were well-done (which were in Sandy and Paleto in March and October) and one was dirt-poor (Trucking in Davis in November). Why aren't I having these issues of "getting robbed, twice, in an hour"? It's a small minority that complain about this same problem, over and over. The rest observe robberies as minimal. 

First of all, you've obviously been lucky. Just because you haven't experienced it, doesn't mean that it's non-existent or can be assumed to be in the minority. Second of all, it's not a small minority. There was a 25 page thread full of people voicing their concerns over crime in general, but more often than not specifically citing robberies as the issue. Anyways, I can only hope that these new changes brought about recently can help improve the entire scene overall.

Civilian RP can be abysmal though. Lots of people who simply refuse to take a loss and will do anything in their power, including breaking the rules, to avoid that loss. These are the people who need to stop getting warnings and start getting bans. Simple as that.

Edited by Cypher99
6 hours ago, NickyW said:

It's interesting you bring up a fictional city to compare against LS when there's real cities with worse raw numbers. Chicago for example has had 171 robberies in the last 7 days.

With Chicago's pop (2.7 million), that's 0.63 robberies per 10.000 inhabitants per week. 

If we very generously suppose GTAW has 10.000 active players / inhabitants, then it means having just 2 robberies per week would already make it over twice as bad as Chicago. Now I don't have the stats but I'm reasonably sure we at least had 10 per week if not more, which would definitely make it a dreadful wasteland, compared to Chicago. :x 

That's part of why the problem was considered as bad enough, and new rules came into effect. Let's hope they help and we can move on from this debate that's been plaguing the forums for almost a year now 😛 

5 hours ago, Sush said:

I saw people running with their dogs on the beach

Funny, because the last time I RP'd my character taking his dog out for a stroll, I almost got robbed xD I only avoided it because I was close to the house and I Y'd inside a microsecond after the guy took his gun out lol. 

Now I'm in a crime-limited area so I tried again, and RP'd twice with random people living in the area. For the /first time/ since October, I IC'ly met my neighbors lol 

3 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

With Chicago's pop (2.7 million), that's 0.63 robberies per 10.000 inhabitants per week. 

If we very generously suppose GTAW has 10.000 active players / inhabitants, then it means having just 2 robberies per week would already make it over twice as bad as Chicago. Now I don't have the stats but I'm reasonably sure we at least had 10 per week if not more, which would definitely make it a dreadful wasteland, compared to Chicago. :x 

That's part of why the problem was considered as bad enough, and new rules came into effect. Let's hope they help and we can move on from this debate that's been plaguing the forums for almost a year now 😛 

Funny, because the last time I RP'd my character taking his dog out for a stroll, I almost got robbed xD I only avoided it because I was close to the house and I Y'd inside a microsecond after the guy took his gun out lol. 

Now I'm in a crime-limited area so I tried again, and RP'd twice with random people living in the area. For the /first time/ since October, I IC'ly met my neighbors lol 

Do you realize that GTA is a game and time is perceived differently there than in real life? You can't compare some weekly statistics from real life to GTA's dynamic environment. Same as we roleplay 1 OOC day in prison as 1 IC month. It's like comparing travel time from LS to Sandy Shores with the one from LA to Fillmore. All these real life comparisons don't make any sense. You'd need to come up with a way to compare inhabitants and time to real life to get some kind of "coefficient" to compare numbers from the server to real life ones. It's not as simple as you make it seem.

7 minutes ago, sCrax said:

Do you realize that GTA is a game and time is perceived differently there than in real life? You can't compare some weekly statistics from real life to GTA's dynamic environment. Same as we roleplay 1 OOC day in prison as 1 IC month. It's like comparing travel time from LS to Sandy Shores with the one from LA to Fillmore. All these real life comparisons don't make any sense. You'd need to come up with a way to compare inhabitants and time to real life to get some kind of "coefficient" to compare numbers from the server to real life ones. It's not as simple as you make it seem.

So what you're saying is that it's okay that you can't travel safely anywhere in the city because it's not supposed to be realistic, and civilian characters are really just meant to be perpetual victims to the roving gangs by virtue of existing. Because yknow it's gta so let's just allow it to happen. 

Just now, Torlo said:

So what you're saying is that it's okay that you can't travel safely anywhere in the city because it's not supposed to be realistic, and civilian characters are really just meant to be perpetual victims to the roving gangs by virtue of existing. Because yknow it's gta so let's just allow it to happen. 

I never said that it's okay. I said that comparing STATISTICS from real life to GTA is simply dumb. Try to read my post again.

13 minutes ago, sCrax said:

I never said that it's okay. I said that comparing STATISTICS from real life to GTA is simply dumb. Try to read my post again.

Actually I entirely agree ^^' Comparing IC apples to OOC apples usually doesn't fully make sense. Others were saying places like Chicago have high crime rates, which in turn justified Los Santos' own crime rate. I was only trying to show how that comparison didn't work out ^^ And it was also because here it's not IC apples - the problem had devolved into a real OOC problem. I'm absolutely not advocating for a 1:1 RL-to-Ingame set of stats, far from it 🙂 

I was just trying to show that the situation was beyond unreasonable, even OOC'ly speaking, and that saying "RL towns have high crime rates too!" is a bit problematic since Los Santos' violent crime rates were 20+ times higher. 

Once more, we can now hope that the new ruleset will help bring that down to something that is a bit better ^^ 

3 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

Actually I entirely agree ^^' Comparing IC apples to OOC apples usually doesn't fully make sense. Others were saying places like Chicago have high crime rates, which in turn justified Los Santos' own crime rate. I was only trying to show how that comparison didn't work out ^^ And it was also because here it's not IC apples - the problem had devolved into a real OOC problem. I'm absolutely not advocating for a 1:1 RL-to-Ingame set of stats, far from it 🙂 

I was just trying to show that the situation was beyond unreasonable, even OOC'ly speaking, and that saying "RL towns have high crime rates too!" is a bit problematic since Los Santos' violent crime rates were 20+ times higher. 

Once more, we can now hope that the new ruleset will help bring that down to something that is a bit better ^^ 

Such comparisons are useless and silly. Because people always seem to be overlooking one small detail when comparing real life statistics to LS.

Chicago has over 2.5 mil inhabitants, Los Santos? 800. 

At the end of the day, I think we're now best off seeing how these rules work in practice and if it helps enhance things for everyone involved. Honestly as someone working for IMEX, I want to see more actual planned things instead of attacks of opportunity. I want to take part and be the victim of properly planned heists. THAT'S stuff I can develop into my character. 

Edited by Kassandra
  • Gore locked this topic