State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

@DasFroggy

@peasoup

I wrote out a very long post replying to both of you but I cba to post it because word-salad begets word-salad and I'd rather not spend my afternoon arguing on the forum. Also may or may not have accidentally refreshed my page while typing it.

That being, said, I'll condense my main points:

1. Restrictive rules and regulations that prohibit roleplay is a poor substitute for trusting Admins to do their jobs.

2. The server suffers from a big robbery problem. This is not the same as saying the server suffers from an Illegal RP problem. The two shouldn't automatically be lumped together.

I think the less RP is restricted, the better. Let Admins dictate what isn't and is okay on a per-case basis instead of robbing people (no pun intended) of potential RP opportunities by outright banning certain situations.

14 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

It doesn't even apply to begin with.

Criminals are targeting groups twice their size without fear of repercussions. That's how bad it is right now. 

As for this, this is ridiculous. I think the perpetrators here shouldn't even be on the server anymore. It's a clear lack of basic understanding of how criminal activity works. The problem I see here is the admin failing to see that.

11 minutes ago, Nervous said:

As previously commented, we're very, very, very soon releasing major changes for robberies. it is indeed a big problem.

Looking forward to this. While I am usually pretty apprehensive towards new rules, I do think robberies are currently done really poorly on the server.

5 minutes ago, Torlo said:

Except it relates directly to civilian roleplay, but okay.

Except it really doesn't, does it? There's a double standard when it comes to portrayals because people get robbed? No, it's because as established in this thread the civilian roleplay standards are generally lower with the exception of the LSSD and there's a lot of people that don't understand gang roleplay. The 15 year old (M) characters in official gangs have far more realistic portrayals than the 22 year old models running around and complaining on the forums about getting robbed. That doesn't mean there aren't 15 year old (M) characters that are running around robbing people with questionable portrayal, the discussion however has just turned into "gang roleplay bad, i got robbed once xD" and thinly veiled OOC racism. 

Edited by roleplayer234
10 minutes ago, roleplayer234 said:

Except it really doesn't, does it? There's a double standard when it comes to portrayals because people get robbed? No, it's because as established in this thread the standards are generally lower with the exception of the LSSD and there's a lot of people that don't understand gang roleplay. The 15 year old (M) characters in official gangs have far more realistic portrayals than the 22 year old models running around and complaining on the forums about getting robbed. 

Again with the assumption that anyone who doesn't wanna rp living in Somalia is rping a 22 year old model who erps all day. I'm not sure there's much of a reason to argue that same strawman that's been brought up 600 other times.

1 minute ago, roleplayer234 said:

Except it really doesn't, does it? There's a double standard when it comes to portrayals because people get robbed? No, it's because as established in this thread the standards are generally lower with the exception of the LSSD and there's a lot of people that don't understand gang roleplay. The 15 year old (M) characters in official gangs have far more realistic portrayals than the 22 year old models running around and complaining on the forums about getting robbed. 

If that's what civs wanna talk about why stop them? Everyone else is free to talk about their area freely. Not gonna tell them to stop. They're worried about poorly portayed robberies and kidnapping happening way too often. I'm illegal myself and fully agree.

1 minute ago, Gore said:

If that's what civs wanna talk about why stop them? Everyone else is free to talk about their area freely. Not gonna tell them to stop. They're worried about poorly portayed robberies and kidnapping happening way too often. I'm illegal myself and fully agree.

Another hero 👏👏👏

5 minutes ago, Gore said:

And people are worried about poorly portrayed civilians and completely unrealistic adults running around... yet when that's discussed the thread just gets derailed by people crying about gang roleplay and going on about how they got robbed. Again. For the 200th thread. Despite there being zero relevance to the subject of the thread. 

Edited by roleplayer234

Regarding the actual subject of this thread, which just sounds like venting... there's a lot of people with odd career paths and questionable wealth portrayal across the board, sure.

On the other hand, some people think than any kind of RP other than doing a menial job before dying of an OD under a bridge is being a mallrat. I've seen people assume things about other people's characters that were flat out wrong, just because of first impressions and because they have an irrational prejudice against anything that isn't criminal RP or assume that the only valid forms of RP are gritty and grimy 24/7.

I find it super easy to ignore some of the odder characters. Models? Sure, it's fake LA, whatever, realistically there's probably more models and aspiring models and wannabe influencers than LCN members and Albanian mobsters, after all. It just doesn't affect me that much. The effect of crime on the server, and not just robberies, obviously affects my RP more than someone playing a social media influencer.

12 minutes ago, roleplayer234 said:

And people are worried about poorly portrayed civilians and completely unrealistic adults running around... yet when that's discussed the thread just gets derailed by people crying about gang roleplay and going on about how they got robbed. Again. For the 200th thread. Despite there being zero relevance to the subject of the thread. 

As it's been stated multiple times, poorly portrayed civilian characters can be ignored and cannot affect your character in any feasible way, A poorly portrayed chain-robbing 15 year old on an atv can affect your character.

3 minutes ago, roleplayer234 said:

Robberies have everything to do with civilians though? It happens to civilians, which affects the state of civilian roleplay. 

2+2=?

4 minutes ago, Torlo said:

As it's been stated multiple times, poorly portrayed civilian characters can be ignored and cannot affect your character in any feasible way, A poorly portrayed chain-robbing 15 year old on an atv can affect your character.

They cannot be ignored, they ruin the server and have lead to the split in the community. The 'us versus them' mentality mentioned in this thread. An awfully portrayed adult character is equally as harmful as the chain-robbing griefer, mostly because the awfully portrayed adult is someone who will then go on the forums and try to shit on entire RP scenes, derail every thread and argue that entire RP scenes need to be gutted despite their own portrayal being extremely questionable. The lack of self awareness that these people show is the problem. Stop letting them dictate discussions.

Edited by roleplayer234
  • Gore locked this topic