State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

Just now, NickyW said:

Vespucci is one of the worst, crime-ridden areas on the server. It's like walking through the Rancho projects and complaining about being robbed.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't make sense to me.

It doesn't make sense to me that Vespucci has become that, I know this isn't exactly a 1:1 copy of LA but the fact that a place that is supposed to be represent the tourist areas of the boardwalk and the beach homes of millionaires is now Somalia is absurd. It's not even about being in the wrong area anymore, talking a walk down the street in Rockford Hills has even become dangerous because people think rping a criminal means texting their friends and saying "let's go rob" is amazing rp. 

54 minutes ago, NickyW said:

I've played on this server for almost two years now and I've only been robbed once and I provoked the people who did it.

I mean, you being lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen though ^^' 

Because uh...

54 minutes ago, NickyW said:

Go to any big city IRL and see what happens when you walk around in the wrong neighborhood alone at night lmao

I've literally walked, as a girl at night through Compton (I didn't know any better back then), while on vacation with a friend there. And I haven't had a single problem.

By your own estimation, the fact that I got lucky means this entire area is super safe or something? ^^''

Edited by Topinambour
47 minutes ago, Torlo said:

It doesn't make sense to me that Vespucci has become that, I know this isn't exactly a 1:1 copy of LA but the fact that a place that is supposed to be represent the tourist areas of the boardwalk and the beach homes of millionaires is now Somalia is absurd. It's not even about being in the wrong area anymore, talking a walk down the street in Rockford Hills has even become dangerous because people think rping a criminal means texting their friends and saying "let's go rob" is amazing rp. 

Completely normal.

YxN7pU2.png

9 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

I mean, you being lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen though ^^' 

Because uh...

I've literally walked, as a girl at night through Compton (I didn't know any better back then), while on vacation with a friend there. And I haven't had a single problem.

By your own estimation, the fact that I got lucky means this entire area is super safe or something? ^^''

You walking down Long Beach boulevard one night without any problems is not the same as living in Compton day in and day out. Not the greatest comparison.

Fun fact: If you would've made that walk every day for a month, you would've statistically been the victim of a crime not once, but twice. Which is more than I can say for my experience in Los Santos.

Crime happens. It's not uncommon, but it's easy to avoid if you know what you're doing. 

The thing is most people who are new to the server still think that this is a "game" where the main purpose of your character is to make as much money as possible. Now this doesn't stand for all the new RP'ers, a lot of them actually know what the purpose of this server is. And before anyone tells me "this is still a game", Yes I know this is still a game but the main purpose of this to build a "character" and not the highest bank balance.

The only reason why civilian RP is hard to do is just because there is nothing much for a civilian to do in this server. The only way to get constant civilian RP is to either work in a club, bar, strip club, that's all. I have been playing on this server since 3 years and I miss the older times when there was a good balance between civilian and criminal RP. There used to be a lot of unique businesses with options of working in every kind of business. Nowadays, a business won't run at all unless its a flashy club or a bar. I know there's a trucking job as well but it pays so less that the truckers get demotivated or it becomes a monotonous "one-person" RP experience for them. And moreover the money they earn, can easily be taken away by someone else without any effort just by "pointing the gun at the individual" and "collects the items and dips".

29 minutes ago, roleplayer234 said:

Could we please keep this on topic instead of having the same 5-10 people turn this thread into the same shit they turn every thread into, thanks. 

> Creates a public discussion thread.
> Becomes upset when people discuss.

You can't open a public discussion and complain when people engage with the discussion topic by giving their opinions. If you didn't want dissenting opinions, you should've directed this discussion towards a discord that mirrors your own opinion. 

It appears as though you've opened this discussion in bad faith. This whole thread does nothing but further this community’s innate us vs. them mentality. This server is collaborative; we’re here to roleplay with each other. We're all playing together, not against one another. I think we can all disagree with the poor portrayal that exists.

Characters that exist only to fulfill the OOC aspirations of the player behind the screen are bad. They're bad if they're a lesbian mechanic driving a pimped-out supercar, and they're bad if they're a 14-year-old (M) whose only aspiration is hitting licks and getting into shootouts.

You're upset that people complain about one more than the other? As others in this thread have already pointed out, one can be more easily ignored than the other. That's never to excuse poor roleplay, but the former display of poor portrayal affects people on this server much less than the latter. Don't believe me? Go gander the reports section and find out which individuals are most often being reported on this server.

I'm sure this wasn't the take you were looking for though. Feel free to arbitrarily classify me as one of those '5-10 people' so you can completely disregard everything I've said up until this point.

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
  • Applaud 1
1 hour ago, NickyW said:

Vespucci is one of the worst, crime-ridden areas on the server. It's like walking through the Rancho projects and complaining about being robbed.

I'm sorry but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Where isn't "the most crime-ridden areas on the server" when you can't walk through anywhere on the server without a gang of (m) hoodlums looking to 'catch someone lacking'?

• Gore locked this topic