State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

11 hours ago, Gambler said:

I'm curious to know who people think is at fault for these "mallrats". The players?  Or rule enforcers?
I think it's pretty normal and it happens in every game, that if a player is given the window to create an advantage over others, they will take that opportunity and use it. So it's up to managments to prevent that and take care of their game.

This is why RPQM exists, however I don't like the idea of closer monitoring and tighter restrictions on what you can rp, that's not going to create an enjoyable environment. There needs to be a certain amount of freedom here. As long as people aren't breaking rules or harming anyone, leave them to it. In all honesty? Same applies if they enjoy frequent esex, if it's not harming anyone, done in private and both consent who really cares? If it's done in the confines of the rules it's not really something that needs to be monitored and policed.

The problem is with those who are frequently breaking the rules and not learning from it, block wiping and getting a warning because it's their first offence even though they blatantly ignore the report. People being allowed to be unbanned 3,450 times on final final final final warnings. It's one thing to give a second chance, but it's quite another when they can repeatedly sweet talk their way back whether via appeal or staff report by twisting events just the right way. It's fucking ridiculous tbh and it needs to stop, it makes a mockery of the system when people with 5,6 or more bans are being allowed to play. There definitely needs to be harsher deterrents for those who break the rules, but also encourage original, meaningful characters.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 4
1 hour ago, Moonsong said:

This is why RPQM exists, however I don't like the idea of closer monitoring and tighter restrictions [...]  definitely needs to be harsher deterrents for those who break the rules, but also encourage original, meaningful characters.

Essentially - there are many characters on the server that are extremely well developed, written, thought out, ... and whose life is a bit messy. They met people left and right, got involved in quite a few things, and as a consequence? Someone from RPQM would just annihilate them without asking a single question, even though every single event had great reasons to happen, and even though the character was greatly portrayed and evolved coherently.

Tightening RPQM's control even more will mostly inconvenience THOSE kinds of characters that are walking a bit out of the box, while being at best a minor inconvenience for those who don't care - for the simple reason that: they don't care. 

However it's something mentioned on another thread: trying to delve less into the word of the rules and more into intent could be a good idea. If a player is openly trying to circumvent/skirt the rules just to grief others, it's really not the same as someone who legit forgot and feels stupid now that they realize it. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Moonsong said:

This is why RPQM exists, however I don't like the idea of closer monitoring and tighter restrictions on what you can rp, that's not going to create an enjoyable environment. There needs to be a certain amount of freedom here. As long as people aren't breaking rules or harming anyone, leave them to it. In all honesty?  [...] There definitely needs to be harsher deterrents for those who break the rules, but also encourage original, meaningful characters.

Big up brother. All I want is the staff to not make a mockery of their own rules.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:47 AM, DasFroggy said:

The problem is that every measure suggested by the same people that are perpetuating the problem, aren't really allowing their suggested 'measures' any chance to succeed. In fact, we've only seen the opposite - they're actively betraying the promises of what will work by targeting the people trying to implement those "measures" as a last desperate big to roleplay on the server. Let's review, shall we?

- Arm yourselves

Cool in theory, but a personal firearm no longer works with the current fear RP rules. If you pull your gun before, you'll be reported for poor RP, because you initiated the encounter with an act of violence, and no criminal is required or willing to admit that they were PLANNING to rob someone. @Drew_Banks reported the people he tried to rob, because they recognized the impending robbery and subdued him. 

- Travel in groups

Groups are being targeted, and in quite a few instances, criminals are targeting groups twice as large. The size of your group is no longer a deterrent, meaning people are always going to be at risk, even if they gather for an event outdoors.

- Stop taking risks

This is happening in literal line of sight of police stations. Officers are being gunned down just for wanting to issue a traffic citation. We're seeing gangs escalating to violence because they're not afraid of drawing attention to themselves, and don't have any issue with killing anyone that reacts to their suspicious behavior, cops being a favorite target. If they're killing cops, literally armed and trained personnel, what chance do civilians stand against the criminal element?

- Push the police to fix it

With what? Every time the police get some measure that helps investigations, it gets shut down. Any time a measure is proposed to limit the rampant crime, the suggestion is shut down because "iT wOuLd nEgAtIVeLy imPaCt tHe cRiMInAl cOMmUnItY".

There's no different measures that can be employed at this point, because with every practical measure stripped or not even capable of working in the first place, the criminal element is emboldened to just have their way even despite their recurring and increasingly loud complaints that "nobody goes outside anymore", a complaint that will happen again, and again, and again... despite the people voicing such complaints refusing to do anything about fixing the problem.

Go off!

4 hours ago, Moonsong said:

As long as people aren't breaking rules or harming anyone, leave them to it. In all honesty? Same applies if they enjoy frequent esex, if it's not harming anyone, done in private and both consent who really cares? If it's done in the confines of the rules it's not really something that needs to be monitored and policed.

The problem with players who primarily play for funk booty esex is their character development normally gets thrown out of the window whenever esex comes in to the equation, they may be within the rules doing what they do but I've had an insane amount of in-depth RP completely ruined because people put esex over their own character's motivations, ruining entire story lines because they wanna get their rocks off. 

I'd 100% rather get juxed by a gang of rule breaking kids from south-central than be baited in to what seems like an interesting character and story only to have them ruin it all by throwing their entire character out of the window at the mere mention of esex, ruining RP for me and everybody who's interacted with them.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Applaud 1

I wish people wouldn't just hate on the whole gang community, most of the people doing these outlandish type of roleplay are usually outcasted inside of the gang community. More and more gangs always find a way or try to cut interactions with those type of gang but sadly nothing is being done about them. There are so many good gang roleplayers but the bad ones are the people that don't get reported and don't get punished. 

But this is the same for the CIV roleplayers. A lot of them always report in any instance they can and always try to do everything not to lose. I've seen people literally be vigilantes in their roleplay, which is fucking crazy. For example, somebody was being robbed by two gunmen in a alley and superman sees this happening rushes over and kills both of the gunman. Or off duty cops pushing their panic buttons instantly even though they aren't roleplaying it. 

But the most important part is, that admins are (almost) always on the civilian's side in a report or has a strong bias against the gang roleplayer. This is not all admins but it's very apparent in ones that are. For me to get my punishment removed for something that was simple not a rulebreak, it took me 3 months and 3 staff reports.

1 hour ago, Hotwire said:

I wish people wouldn't just hate on the whole gang community, most of the people doing these outlandish type of roleplay are usually outcasted inside of the gang community. More and more gangs always find a way or try to cut interactions with those type of gang but sadly nothing is being done about them. There are so many good gang roleplayers but the bad ones are the people that don't get reported and don't get punished. 

But this is the same for the CIV roleplayers. A lot of them always report in any instance they can and always try to do everything not to lose. I've seen people literally be vigilantes in their roleplay, which is fucking crazy. For example, somebody was being robbed by two gunmen in a alley and superman sees this happening rushes over and kills both of the gunman. Or off duty cops pushing their panic buttons instantly even though they aren't roleplaying it. 

But the most important part is, that admins are (almost) always on the civilian's side in a report or has a strong bias against the gang roleplayer. This is not all admins but it's very apparent in ones that are. For me to get my punishment removed for something that was simple not a rulebreak, it took me 3 months and 3 staff reports.

In many places where people carry guns in the US, it’s not THAT uncommon for someone to step in when they see something like a potential robbery. Granted it’s usually someone with the proper experience (past military, off duty cop, etc) and not your standard person, but it does happen. 

Also experience seems to be the opposite for me and people I know. If a civilian attempts to even shoot a gun and it ends up in a report, their motives are more highly scrutinized than the gang member/criminal just because they are civilians. Not all civilians have the proper background story to justify it and rightfully so, those situations should be punished for poor portrayal. 

I also mean no offense to this, but perception is everything. The gang community has a quality problem, just like civilian role play. However take a short look in the reports section, it’s more often than not a gang or crime related report. Naturally people are going to see that and draw conclusions. That’s just human nature unfortunately. We can only hope that this new discussion strategy can help improve both sides of the fence, so we can stop having or at least slow down the illegal vs legal debate. 🙏🙏🙏

One thing I've learned from this thread is how the hell in the year 2022, on a completely different server from where the phrase originated from, does the term "mallrat" still exist. On a game that I don't even think has a mall? I've seen the phrase degrade from meaning a specific type of RPer (an ERP focused lesbian ultra rich despite having no job, hangs around at the mall all day with fancy cars character) to just meaning "legal RPer"

• Upvote 1
  • Gore locked this topic