State of civilian roleplay and portrayal

roleplayer234

There's been a lot of discussion recently about gang roleplay and as many will now know, we can no longer make unofficial groups.

So how do we feel the state of civilian roleplay is on the server at the moment? There's a lot of talk about gang roleplayers not interacting much with civilians but it's never mentioned that it feels like the civilians our characters come across are so unbelievable that it's hard to really deal with them. In fact there seems to now be an out of control number of sometimes comically unrealistic civilian characters. Is this a faction based problem? It does feel like that the LSSD are the "legal roleplay" faction that is creating good well rounded characters that fit the setting. There are outliers here and there but it does feel like there's zero quality control when it comes to a lot of what's called "legal roleplay". 

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, roleplayer234 said:

There are outliers here and there but it does feel like there's zero quality control when it comes to a lot of what's called "legal roleplay". 

What happened that  made you feel like there's zero quality control? Generally, legal factions have pretty harsh quality control, compared to some of the illegal factions I've seen and been part of.

Edited by mj2002

Each legal faction has a LM handler that skims through the type of roleplay the faction is engaging in, and any concerns raised by the faction’s leadership. This is not a “Zero Quality Control” measure is it? 

I think what you’re referring to are the stray characters that have no real purpose other than sex, money and cars. A lot of legal faction characters avoid such civilians just as much as criminals do, it doesn’t aid our character development.

I roleplay a university student, probably as civilian as it gets. We are in a bubble of our own character development, our own roleplay environment on a multi million facility, where bad mouthing and showing no fear to another student on campus will only lead to an argument or worst case scenario, blackmail or a fist fight, but if a car of (M)’s pull up to harass us and we throw an insult in retaliation, we’re getting gunned down by 16 year olds which just as mentioned above, doesn’t add to our development.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 3

Honestly, you can give that same argument for gangs. There are lots of comical, unrealistic civilian characters and there are lots of equally unrealistic and comical gang characters. There's really not that much to do - stay away from them and stick with the ones who have proper characters.

Aspiring gangs and illegal groups have to pass a rigorous set of continuity criteria in order to exist. IFM set a standard when it comes to street gangs in terms of their portrayal and they do enforce that. That doesn't exist in the legal sense at all with the exception of entry requirements for portrayal set by the LSSD (which is not really surprisingly why the LSSD has the highest quality of roleplay amongst 'legal' characters on the server). Other legal factions have some standards, but they're not enforced in the same way which is why so many of the civilian characters on this server are part-time models, part-time strippers, European self-inserts or something that would be found in a comic book. 

Unfortunately discussing this in detail with specific examples isn't possible, because it would be deemed to be targeting people. Yet a good number of the people who are most vigorously complaining about roleplay standards in gangs themselves are roleplaying extremely questionable characters that really are like something straight out of a comic book. Far less believable than any 14 year old (M) character and honestly, far more harmful to the server given that they're now apparently the arbiters of roleplay standards. 

2 hours ago, mj2002 said:

What happened that  made you feel like there's zero quality control? Generally, legal factions have pretty harsh quality control, compared to some of the illegal factions I've seen and been part of.

This, I'll go further and say we probably have a LOT more quality control than illegal factions do.

1 hour ago, roleplayer234 said:

Aspiring gangs and illegal groups have to pass a rigorous set of continuity criteria in order to exist. IFM set a standard when it comes to street gangs in terms of their portrayal and they do enforce that. That doesn't exist in the legal sense at all with the exception of entry requirements for portrayal set by the LSSD (which is not really surprisingly why the LSSD has the highest quality of roleplay amongst 'legal' characters on the server). Other legal factions have some standards, but they're not enforced in the same way which is why so many of the civilian characters on this server are part-time models, part-time strippers, European self-inserts or something that would be found in a comic book. 

Unfortunately discussing this in detail with specific examples isn't possible, because it would be deemed to be targeting people. Yet a good number of the people who are most vigorously complaining about roleplay standards in gangs themselves are roleplaying extremely questionable characters that really are like something straight out of a comic book. Far less believable than any 14 year old (M) character and honestly, far more harmful to the server given that they're now apparently the arbiters of roleplay standards. 

Might be in theory but considering the fact that like 95% of all (successful) player reports involve illegal players or groups, I highly doubt that. Legal characters aren't being reported that much. That's not to say that their portrayal is appropriate, but it's clearly not as big of an issue, especially compared to some illegal groups. They're not that rigorously supervised. 

That's not to say that there aren't a ton of great illegal role-players and another ton of completely absurd legal characters, but the standard is pretty clear.

22 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Legal characters aren't being reported that much.

This is... actually more a result of how civilian characters interact. Civilians are typically more passive in roleplay outcomes, as their interactions are often social or professional, during which the average worst outcome is "You're fired" or "Your face is stupid" and that's about it. 

Meanwhile the average outcome in an interaction with criminal characters is usually either loss of actual tangible assets or suddenly being unsubscribed from life. 

Civilians rarely go out to initiate an interaction in which violent loss of property or life are the desired outcome, so they typically don't end up in reports unless they respond poorly to violent loss of property/life and/or they have cat ears.

You know what I do when someone is playing a cringy or weird civilian character? I ignore them. 

You know what I do when someone is playing a cringy or weird illegal rper? I can't ignore them, they're making me run my pockets for the third time this week in front of Mission Row. 

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1
  • Gore locked this topic