The great debate - Shaping the illegal scene for the next years

Nervous

This is a notable step in the development of the GTA:W Illegal scene, one that is rife with unlimited potential so long as the individuals in charge of it remain level-headed and on course. I've always thought that a centralized body of discourse to SOME extent was necessary to help inform staff on the collective 'zeitgeist' shared by illegal roleplayers who are often sidelined or disregarded by the community at large who don't share in the particular struggles common to that format of roleplay - especially considering they share no real chat like GTA:W general within which to speak their minds exclusively. I wish good fortune to this process and I hope it bears fruit and brings about meaningful reforms to Faction Management's approach(as well as staff in general) towards Illegal roleplayers.

Transparency and moderation will be key in enabling this concept to avoid the pitfalls of ego battles that unfortunately spring up as a natural part of these communities as each side shares their own viewpoints and strong opinions within the scene that inevitably clash with others. Sadly, some lapses in that category are still prevalent even here in this thread as many silly accusations and conspiracy theories that have long since been debunked are continually spread by those who've been addled by those old arguments. That being said, I have no interest in drama, so I hope this can be a healing process to help people move beyond their personal bias' regarding the illegal scene and one that I hope brings a prosperous change to all relevant factions as a whole.

Shout out to the old guard.

• Upvote 8
  • Applaud 1

We shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that time served equals experience or relevance when it comes to roleplaying in 2022. 

Text based roleplaying has taken many forms in the 20 or so years that it's been a fixture on the internet, and many people such as myself remember those early days, and have the legitimate right to call ourselves part of the so-called 'old guard' being talked about in this thread. Still, I've met many extremely poor, unadaptable roleplayers who are still around from those very early days, before a large percentage of this community were even born - and we should not idolize these people or allow them to take positions of influence in the community purely because they can claim being part of the 'old guard' or being from the 'old school.'

Instead, all I have to offer to this discussion is a word of warning; rather than take time served as meaningful experience or being able to offer a positive contribution, instead judge everybody, old school and new school, on their individual merit and what they can reasonably and realistically bring to the table. Just because one of the old school players has a well known name or is considered to know what they are doing, it doesn't mean they're what's best for the community in the here and now. 

Do your independent research on everybody being pushed into the new version of the faction council/or whatever system will be put in place to replace it going forward, and don't be afraid to question everything in pursuit of genuinely raising standards and improving game quality for all. 

You can just stick around for fifteen years and stay the course, that's all it takes to be considered 'old school' and believe me, I know plenty of people who have done just that and remain their same un-innovative, poor and shitty selves that they were many years ago. 

Question everything and never assume someone is more qualified to get involved in discussions/driving change than you are until proven otherwise. 

Edited by Joseph Tarano
  • Upvote 5
  • Applaud 3
On 1/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, Joseph Tarano said:

We shouldn't make the mistake of assuming that time served equals experience or relevance when it comes to roleplaying in 2022. 

Text based roleplaying has taken many forms in the 20 or so years that it's been a fixture on the internet, and many people such as myself remember those early days, and have the legitimate right to call ourselves part of the so-called 'old guard' being talked about in this thread. Still, I've met many extremely poor, unadaptable roleplayers who are still around from those very early days, before a large percentage of this community were even born - and we should not idolize these people or allow them to take positions of influence in the community purely because they can claim being part of the 'old guard' or being from the 'old school.'

Instead, all I have to offer to this discussion is a word of warning; rather than take time served as meaningful experience or being able to offer a positive contribution, instead judge everybody, old school and new school, on their individual merit and what they can reasonably and realistically bring to the table. Just because one of the old school players has a well known name or is considered to know what they are doing, it doesn't mean they're what's best for the community in the here and now. 

Do your independent research on everybody being pushed into the new version of the faction council/or whatever system will be put in place to replace it going forward, and don't be afraid to question everything in pursuit of genuinely raising standards and improving game quality for all. 

You can just stick around for fifteen years and stay the course, that's all it takes to be considered 'old school' and believe me, I know plenty of people who have done just that and remain their same un-innovative, poor and shitty selves that they were many years ago. 

Question everything and never assume someone is more qualified to get involved in discussions/driving change than you are until proven otherwise. 

You have worded it amazingly, I have been seeing and suffering as a player from the "Been here longer so he deserves upper" mentality. Seeing people in upper positions just because they have been here longer within both legal and illegal factions has been discouraging me but not only that, also has been affecting me negatively.

Edited by Glunar
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Nervous locked and unpinned this topic