Jump to content

Prohibit registration of new (M) Minor characters or tighten restrictions regarding their portrayal


Recommended Posts

Through my few months on this server, I've noticed many people roleplaying as minor characters.

I have to say, and I'm not insulting anyone, everyone should have the creative liberty of roleplaying anyone and anything they want to.

A huge number of people however failed , in my opinion, to accurately portray minor characters.

This is visible in Davis where every day one can see a boatload of minors with guns, dealing drugs, etc.

This could be an IC situation and problem if it were limited to a certain extent, but right now there is an army of minor chars out there rolling for gangs and such.

There are also people who sexually exploit (M) characters, on both sides.

 

My suggestions are the following (To be taken as separate ideas):

1. Limit the part minors can play in criminal organizations.

2. Limit the number of allowed minor characters present at the server, so that new ones can't be registered once a certain quota is fulfilled.

3. Introduce a limitation on how many minor characters illegal factions can have.

4. Introduce applications for minor characters which will be reviewed before registration.

5. Remove the ability to register new minor characters altogether.

 

Note that these are just suggestions, and I want only creative and constructive responses on this thread for making the game more fun  to play...

Link to comment

Hey 🙂

 

I just wanted to note, this topic was already broached over here: 

 

The conclusion of some illegal RP'ers was that the limitation of minor characters would somehow collapse the entire illegal scene. This same topic was also mentioned in a couple of discussions on the general forum, so far no specific info was given by admins about what would or would not be done regarding this. 

Link to comment

The thread above already contains plenty of reasons, but this is also a pointless change. The problem is not really minor characters, but the players behind some of them. You can combat a bunch of symptoms all you like, but if the underlying problems are not addressed, they will just appear somewhere else.

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment

The problem with minor character is that they are portraying the IC inaccurately. It becomes annoying seeing minor characters sometimes roaming around and sometimes the right to be trollist because they are minors. Of course not all of them are like that as there are good portrayals I have seen of them from illegal Rpers and legal ones. The point is what is the point of them appearing in the server when there are no supports or servers mechanics. For an example I thought minors were for the university faction but they take people over the age of 18 years old, as I know a friend who was denied due to this. There is no purpose for minors unless there is some support like from the government or try to explore other types of RP. Otherwise what we see is two types illegal rpers and normal rpers that tend to be annoying as they have nothing else to do.

  

Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Jam888 said:

The problem with minor character is that they are portraying the IC inaccurately. It becomes annoying seeing minor characters sometimes roaming around and sometimes the right to be trollist because they are minors. Of course not all of them are like that as there are good portrayals I have seen of them from illegal Rpers and legal ones. The point is what is the point of them appearing in the server when there are no supports or servers mechanics. For an example I thought minors were for the university faction but they take people over the age of 18 years old, as I know a friend who was denied due to this. There is no purpose for minors unless there is some support like from the government or try to explore other types of RP. Otherwise what we see is two types illegal rpers and normal rpers that tend to be annoying as they have nothing else to do.

  

You have to graduate high school to enroll into college. Most Americans graduate at around 18. This is common knowledge. 

 

On the matter of underaged characters. this argument and topic has been debated for years. As it's stated in the rules, most underaged characters are a part of gang factions to enhance their development as most gang bangers tend to join up around their mid-to-late teens. That doesn't mean they're child soldiers and fearless killers at that age, or ever. That's a fault in how people portray their characters.

Underaged characters are a vital part of gang roleplay. Just because you have no knowledge, experience or will to learn about this does not mean it's unrealistic or inaccurate. However,  lot of people portray their underaged characters simply as if they were 19-20 in most cases but self insert their own immaturity and childishness at times. I think this is mostly because the majority of people currently roleplaying minors are minors themselves and they lack RP knowledge and experience. A lot of people self insert and it's obvious. The only way this aspect is going to improve is by these people individually getting better. If rping an underaged character is somehow outlawed, they'll just make 18 year old characters and have the same shit RP anyway. What's the point?

Link to comment
1 hour ago, mj2002 said:

The thread above already contains plenty of reasons, but this is also a pointless change. The problem is not really minor characters, but the players behind some of them. You can combat a bunch of symptoms all you like, but if the underlying problems are not addressed, they will just appear somewhere else.

 

Exactly this. If players weren't breaking rules, minor characters wouldn't be an issue in the slightest. What has to change is the (drastic) severity of punishments issued, or otherwise we won't see any improvements.

 

To whoever doesn't agree with this, take a look through the last reports and see for yourself - a guy literally stomping on random people with a baseball bat. Stops the car, kills, and on to the next one. Not once, but multiple times. Are they here to role-play? Absolutely not. Are they banned? Absolutely not. After ruining the role-play and time of lots of people, they're on a final warning and risk an entire, unacceptable 1 WEEK ban. Unless people are punished more drastically and people who aren't here to role-play are completely banned without hte possibility of coming back, we won't see much improvement regarding any of these issues, including problematic minor characters. That's the issue, not the underage characters themselves.

Link to comment
25 minutes ago, 4deep.lurkin said:

You have to graduate high school to enroll into college. Most Americans graduate at around 18. This is common knowledge. 

 

On the matter of underaged characters. this argument and topic has been debated for years. As it's stated in the rules, most underaged characters are a part of gang factions to enhance their development as most gang bangers tend to join up around their mid-to-late teens. That doesn't mean they're child soldiers and fearless killers at that age, or ever. That's a fault in how people portray their characters.

Underaged characters are a vital part of gang roleplay. Just because you have no knowledge, experience or will to learn about this does not mean it's unrealistic or inaccurate. However,  lot of people portray their underaged characters simply as if they were 19-20 in most cases but self insert their own immaturity and childishness at times. I think this is mostly because the majority of people currently roleplaying minors are minors themselves and they lack RP knowledge and experience. A lot of people self insert and it's obvious. The only way this aspect is going to improve is by these people individually getting better. If rping an underaged character is somehow outlawed, they'll just make 18 year old characters and have the same shit RP anyway. What's the point?

I know about the American system but I just assume it is lower because of the amount of minors in the city.  Second you just proved the point by confirming that is the only RP they engaged in. Third nothing about unrealistic in having minors at server the point is if you look there are more reports, bad portrayal of IC such having assault weapons at the age of 13 or going to businesses rping as annoying pricks just to get a reaction. I have seen a lot of people out right ignoring Minors rping with them because of the fear of trolling due to this issue. So because of this it limits their RP potential example I have seen IC running away of Minors because they think they are robbing them even though that is not always the case. I think most uses minors to troll as they can say it is part of their character and use as a defense. You wont be surprised how many times it works. 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Jam888 said:

The problem with minor character is that they are portraying the IC inaccurately. It becomes annoying seeing minor characters sometimes roaming around and sometimes the right to be trollist because they are minors. Of course not all of them are like that as there are good portrayals I have seen of them from illegal Rpers and legal ones. The point is what is the point of them appearing in the server when there are no supports or servers mechanics. For an example I thought minors were for the university faction but they take people over the age of 18 years old, as I know a friend who was denied due to this. There is no purpose for minors unless there is some support like from the government or try to explore other types of RP. Otherwise what we see is two types illegal rpers and normal rpers that tend to be annoying as they have nothing else to do.

  


Most people make minor characters because most street gangs recruit very young people. It's not uncommon for a bulk of a street gang's members being younger than 16. The harsh reality is that most people above the age of majority are either dead or in prison. If anything I'd like more minor characters, given that they are portrayed accurately. Most people living in gang-infested neighborhoods don't want to join a gang - that's a lot easier to avoid if you're 18-19 and working a job compared to being 12 and living in a cramped apartment with 7 siblings and spending most of your freetime roaming the streets.

Link to comment

It's not about minor characters but poor quality of roleplayers in general. Should pink-haired PF vigilante racer dykes that speed through every intersection and have 15 different jobs be punished? Yes, definitely. But should we have every person that wants to roleplay a racer or a lesbian character write an application? Definitely no. You can apply this logic to any group of people since in every group you'll find characters that are poorly portrayed.

 

Some reports and applications already take MONTHS to be solved. We should not enforce any more gatekeeping. Are you going to force somebody to wait a month until they can create a character? 


Just because there are some individuals that break rules doesn't mean that every single person that roleplays a minor is not bringing any value to other people's roleplay. Just enforce harsher punishment for rule-breaking and poor character portrayal. Wake RPQM up to actually deal with these players. That's all that needs to be done, stop putting everyone in one category.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

The biggest issue I see with minor characters in gangs is that they all want to roleplay being a warrior, yet few wish to roleplay developing into one, so what you commonly find is that there are 16 year old, fully developed gang warriors in a very hostile environment which in turn, leads to a ridiculous amount of violence in the area of gang turfs due to all of them constantly puffing out their chests to one up the other. The sad truth is that the majority (not all) of these players play to win against each other and unfortunately miss a lot of roleplay opportunities because they lack respect for one another on an OOC level and roleplay around having the most drug hp and who can get the first punch in, in a script fight. This isn't always the case, but it does happen a lot.

The issue as already mentioned, isn't there being a lot of minor characters in gang areas, this is very typical of gang environments and they are rather annoying at times which is true to life, the issue lies in the quality of roleplay that becomes the norm in these areas.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
  • Create New...