Drug Effects "Revamp" - Addicts, What Do We Think After Almost A Year?

BINGBONGBALONEY

How do you feel about the system from the POV of an IG drug addict?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll start this off with a link to the revamp and how it works for people who may be out of the loop:

How do players - primarily players roleplaying addicts - feel about the current drug addiction system now that we've settled in and got a feel for how it works?

Do you like it, do you hate it? Why? I wanna hear what you think.

Rough list but to get this started I'll give a quick run-down of what I personally feel are pros and cons to the system:

Pros:

• Stops players from abusing drugs as a quick "pre-battle" buff, forcing them to roleplay the repercussions of heavy drug-use in the long-run.
  • The forced drug withdrawal systems can provide FD and other medical with RP they wouldn't normally get with the majority of players opting to brush off addiction if they can.
  • Forcing withdrawals on players who don't consistently keep up with their addictions can also provide dealers with more roleplay, stimulating the drug market to fund their RP.
  • More detailed drug effects and the withdrawals to go along with them - more depth to drugs overall.

Cons:

• Forces all addicts to roleplay the same tolerance no matter their size, age, gender or family's medical history.
  • Withdrawal symptoms feel extremely RPG-ish and like the above point, lead players down what feels like a set path - no freedom to RP, you IC feel how the system tells you.
  • Withdrawal symptoms seem a little unresearched and "hollywood" - a crack withdrawal isn't going to make me slump over randomly in public for example.
  • Relies extremely HEAVILY on drug dealers - no drug dealers logging on or supplying more harsh drugs like heroin? Enjoy randomly ragdolling and/or dying script-wise in the middle of roleplay.
  • RPG/survival game-like system overall - a drug themed version of a "hunger meter" that like previous cons, limits RP.

Overall I LIKE the system, I just feel the forced downed states and random ragdoll in the middle of RP are a little stupid and the system would be much better off without them. Reducing the character's health to a max of 1hp so they're extremely weak or forcing them in to the drunk walkstyle would be much better.

But yeah, what do you guys think? I'll throw up a shitty poll so you can vote but I'd rather see replies.

Keep it civil.

If I learnt anything here so far...is that people will not roleplay what they don't have to.

Withdrawal kinda needs to be scripted to an extent. Technically you don't get a freedom when influenced and addicted to drugs.

What needs to change however is bonus bullshit, which drugs actually do not give you. Yes yes, from an addict's standpoint it may look like they are invincible. But when you are rolling down concrete slabs completely out and high, your face gets same amount of damage as it would if you were sober doing that. Of course forced withdrawals need to be there for people who use drugs often or used them more than say 3-4 times.

Withdrawal and addiction also depends on drug type. 

But biggest issue I see here, is that everything is based on roleplay. Withdrawal and addiction won't have any significant impact here as they have in standard rpg games, where it is implemented within other mechanics. 

Which is why I'd suggest to do some research before someone decides to portray a drug addict. At least know the basic terms, when doing so.

What is crash, what is high or binge etc etc. And how to portray those. I worked with addicts irl. Most of them just binge for days until they cannot handle it anymore, then they sleep for days to come just to wake up and start it all over again. In between they scheme where to get more drugs etc etc etc.

It's not a rainbow ride.

Edited by Engelbert

It feels like the whole system is geared towards people using them as combat drugs, so everything is shoehorned into effects that will inconvenience DMers. I find myself mostly ignoring withdrawal effects as stated and RP whatever I feel the effects would be. I'm also not necessarily using the drugs in the manner the script seems to assume they're being used. It's a very one-size-fits-all approach. And that's fine, if people enjoy it, but I've never seen anyone take the ragdolling effect IC. Ever. Honestly, if I was forced to RP it, I'd immediately take the addict character to rehab and give up on drugs entirely.

Edited by peasoup

The thing we need to change here is, that withdrawal doesn't kick in immediately, nor in several days after not taking a drug.

And even then, the further you go from the drug in time, the worse withdrawal you experience. I know the time flows differently in the game.

And as I said before, the system only makes sense when paired with other mechanics we don't have here. Most of withdrawal effects need to be roleplayed anyway.

Script will not help much with vomiting, mood swings or nausea. It can help you with occasional blackouts for example, but not sure if that is doable.

The /druginfo tab assists me with being aware with how bad my character craves or is tolerant to certain narcotics. However, it's merely a stepping stone towards researching the effects and applying them to the conditions of my character. Personally? I'm fine with this system.

I don’t think the current system is stopping people using drugs for a combat buff at all. You only get the overdose effects of stacking the same drug, but you can still smack meth, heroin, crack, PCP, cocaine and an adderall and have like 200hp if you want. 

the withdrawal system works based on time, naw? bc if i spend 6 hrs rping and do meth at the beginning of this 6 hour period, i actually end up losing my addiction by hour 6. i find it difficult to actually get to higher levels of addiction unless i chomp on some script meth every 1 hr. it doesnt need a huge rework, you just need to be able to set your own addiction level/tolerance so you can... actually rp your character and not a pre-determined figure

• Wuhtah locked this topic