What is your opinion on GTA W road traffic?

Mistery14

21 minutes ago, Cypher99 said:

GTA Online has an open spot for you ✌️

not sure why'd you assume that stating I've no interest in spending 20 minutes just to travel in a video game automatically means i speed through all intersections at 120mph but alright. in any case, i don't and i simply criticized this thread as a whole. driving should be somewhat realistic but GTA simply isn't a game built for realistic driving experience.

7 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

not sure why'd you assume that stating I've no interest in spending 20 minutes just to travel in a video game automatically means i speed through all intersections at 120mph but alright. in any case, i don't and i simply criticized this thread as a whole. driving should be somewhat realistic but GTA simply isn't a game built for realistic driving experience.

It’s also not technically built for a heavy role play experience, but alas, we make it work. I drive perfectly realistic because there are IC laws and it’s never been an issue. The fact that the game is GTA is just an excuse 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Cypher99

On a slightly serious note I don't mind shitty drivers, I take it all IC and push for road-rage RP if it suits the character I'm playing. It normally ends with both parties coming out of it with decent RP so hey, why would I complain?

Only thing that bugs me is people who lie about lag as an excuse to slip out of RP'ing their obvious reckless driving. Losing a couple FPS after being t-boned for zapping through an intersection at triple the speed limit isn't what I'd consider acceptable lag to void a crash, especially if you caused it. maybe take your computer's limitations as a hint and slow down a lil.

Edited by BINGBONGGHOST
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Mahitto said:

This. Traffic offenses should be drastically increased, only then will we see some actual regard for traffic laws. We need larger sentences, larger fine amounts, longer license suspensions, more infractions punished with suspension/revocation, worse consequences for a suspended license (and cooldown to getting another), a points system etc. This can be perfectly solved ICly, we don't need administrative action, but we need much higher deterrents.

In real life, a $500 ticket will slap you pretty hard. Here, even considering our unrealistically inflated economy, run a red light and you get a mere $1000 ticket. Which is literally nothing. Doesn't affect you. Doesn't stop you from doing it again. Drive with a suspended license or without a license and you'll spend 30 minutes in jail and have to drive another car for like 2 days. If driving chaotically got you a 2-week license suspension, $40,000 in tickets and a one-month impound, how many people would still do it?

While we can argue exact numbers all day and adjust and scale depending on results, I agree with the ideas Mahitto put forth.

One of the biggest problems here is the lack of regard for the law, and if that were enforced with harsher penalties, then it would suddenly mean something to get pulled over.

Another aspect is the whole disregard for life/lack of fear RP when people drive that fast. I personally think some of the ideas of CK'ing a character could work as a deterrent to some, but we already have the admins banning players for GTAO driving, and I think we need to look closer at where that border is, and let the admins do their job above that, and focus player attention (i.e. laws) on the below.

1 hour ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Hi, yeah I understand what you mean. It's a video game and the controls show it is. Take a game like BeamNG and you've got a whole different level of car handling and crash physics - However this isn't what I'm going for in this thread, the three optional questions are more of a baseline for a discussion, this is not a suggestion nor a complaint about the realism of driving, but rather a thread where we talk about the behavior of players on the road as a whole, trying to see what people think of it, and if any of it should change.

I agree with a lot of these comments. I personally believe driving should be an addition to RP rather than a mere "Get me to X place as fast as I can." thing and therefore both IC and OOC rules do have to be enforced and I think, hardened a little when it comes to fines specifically.

To answer my own optional questions:

1 - Should changes be made to traffic rules?

- I think traffic rules are fine as is, but I think increasing the cost of fines could make an improvement, albeit small.

2 - Do you think vehicles should get a handling/speed revamp?

- I really don't think so, the vehicles handle great and it's up to players to gauge their speed and the dangers that come with it. A more realistic handling would mean more crashes for those who aren't used to such a system.

3 - What could improve general quality of life while on the road? 

- Definitely an improved autopilot system in the future so that people could focus more on RPing in cars and whatnot without having to worry about driving into objects/cars/off the road. 

- Decreased self-voiding IC crashes, but that's not up to any system but rather the players themselves. 

- Improved texture loading via optimization when driving in the city. 

1 - Should changes be made to traffic rules?

Not really.

2 - Do you think vehicles should get a handling/speed revamp?

No.

3 - What could improve general quality of life while on the road? 

1. The police should have a specific 'traffic' department instead of all cops automatically going to traffic if they don't have anything better to do.

2. The police should issue punishments proportionally to the road incident. I was pulled over by 2 policemen who saw me run a red light (lights are desynced anyways), after they asked me where I'm going, I refused to answer, they got 4 more officers on me and arrested me. This is NOT proportional to the law break I've done.

3. People speeding and racing is a regular part of life. My character likes to drive fast as she was a professional racing driver once (ICly) , and she does that to alleviate tension.

People crashing into a pole while nobody is watching should be able to auto-void that scene unless their character dies mechanically (flying out of the windshield). Who would wait laying on a road until someone comes by? That's a tedious chore of a RP. We're here to have fun.

People who choose to RP their crash infront or away from others should do it if they wish to.

People who drive fast in order to evade police or a threat of heavy injuries or certain death SHOULD NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR A CK.

The reason is simple: they are doing so to escape a situation that might be VERY unfavorable for them.

Every road death should be considered a PK unless decided otherwise by the player in my opinion because a CK is a permanent loss of the player's character, which is not mandated even for much worse situations.

• Wuhtah locked this topic