What is your opinion on GTA W road traffic?

Mistery14

For the first question, I suppose intent might be interesting to take a bit more into account. It was mentioned in other threads that driving on GTA isn't designed to be done at a realistic speed - if you use a keyboard for example, you have to do a lot of tapping W, you can only brake full-force  like an idiot with S, and A/D aren't as accurate as a wheel so you often end up going slightly to the side, needing to correct course all the time. Even with /sp, some cars accelerate stupidly fast and it makes some turns pretty damn dubious, at best, even if you're trying to be clean 😛 That's not even counting the fact that the self-driving system seems to follow the GPS tracks, and those don't really respect road laws lol. 

Traffic being enforced more harshly on racers, criminals who are stupid enough to commit 2 crimes at the same time, ... sure, why not? However my personal experience of traffic stops were 1) A sheriff deputy bumped in my ass 2 years ago, because he was tailing me throughout Blaine County, probably hoping I would do something worthy of pulling me over. I braked at a stop sign, seems he didn't expect that lol, and 2) The auto-pilot making me cross a double yellow line in the middle of a street, thus cutting the way right in front of an incoming police cruiser (to my total horror xD). 

I doubt giving 10 billion fines and CKs in those situations, like some seem to be suggesting, would really improve anyone's RP ^^' But trying to rebalance the harshness of IC (and even OOC) sanctions based on context may be nice. Be less lenient with those who clearly are not giving a shit OR actively engaging in criminal RP, and a bit more with those where it's clearly a mistake that comes in part from the way the game works. 

• Upvote 1

We need to strike a balance between realism, consequences and player enjoyment. The middle ground for all three in my opinion as I've said is an increase in fines, license suspensions and impounds. Scrapping/deleting vehicles isn't the way to go, it'll only push it further to cops'n'robbers style everyone evading to avoid loosing their vehicle. As it stands the fines are not scaled according to the rest of the economy; take for example a coffee some places you'll pay 300-500 dollars while a fine for speeding starts at 1000 dollars. 

18 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

- Should changes be made to traffic rules?

1 - Should changes be made to traffic rules? Not exactly.

2 - Do you think vehicles should get a handling/speed revamp? Nope.

3 - What could improve general quality of life while on the road? I'd like to see people be CKed more for severe crashes. If your character takes the risk of driving 125+k/h through the city and they wipe out on a pole, then an admin should feel comfortable CKing that character for a lack of fear RP. The same should go for characters who get into police chases and crash stupendously. They made the IC decision to engage in that dangerous activity at the risk of their character, if they crash they should face the IC consequences of that. I could be wrong, but I rarely see nor hear about these kinds of decisions being made.

As an aside, I also think LEO players who wipe out stupendously during pursuits should also be subject to these same scruples. 

The problem with that is that, like @Topinambour mentioned nicely, GTA was not made for realistic driving. You might be driving at high speeds for a good reason and monstruously crash because tapping A made your car spiral out of control, because you pressed the wrong button in the wrong way, or because some objects didn't load in. You might simply use the auto-drive feature and be unlucky enough for it to drive you off a literal cliff (happens quite a lot), or one of the many other bugs that occur. The problem is that you can't verify whether someone experienced a bug or was simply reckless, and you can't start CKing people for bugs either.

7 minutes ago, Rhelli said:

Also, punishments for not paying the fines are needed.

Absolutely. I've seen this so many times and there's nothing we can do - we have to post a literal warrant out, wait for it to be analyzed, approved, and then find the person again, all for some tickets. We can have it as a midemeanor to not pay tickets within a certain amount of time.

5 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

The problem with that is that, like @Topinambour mentioned nicely, GTA was not made for realistic driving. You might be driving at high speeds for a good reason and monstruously crash because tapping A made your car spiral out of control, because you pressed the wrong button in the wrong way, or because some objects didn't load in. You might simply use the auto-drive feature and be unlucky enough for it to drive you off a literal cliff (happens quite a lot), or one of the many other bugs that occur. The problem is that you can't verify whether someone experienced a bug or was simply reckless, and you can't start CKing people for bugs either.

None of this excuses someone driving at an extremely high speed and then crashing. If you're driving at a reasonable speed and crash because of game limitations such as texture loss or a miss-click then that's a different story. Those players who are racing up and down the streets and highways of Los Santos at 125+k/h with absolutely no regard and knowingly engage in the dangerous activity of speeding/racing/evading should be held accountable for that when it blows up in their face. If your character fails to fear for their life by driving at an incredibly high speed, than that is a lapse of fear RP and the CK-clause regarding fear should apply.

Some players may have a 'good reason' to speed, but that's a risk they are taking as a character. If you have a 'good reason' to go 125+k/h down the freeway then that remains an in-character risk that should reap in-character consequences when it doesn't work out as planned. Players often have good reasons to evade and fire on LEO characters; that doesn't negate the possible consequences of doing so.

14 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

its a video game. im not gonna take 20 minutes to get from point A to point B if it serves little to no purpose in my roleplay

Yeah, it's a video-game but this server also boasts being a 'Hardcore Roleplay Server'. Roleplay is the simulation of reality. Sometimes reality is boring.

• Wuhtah locked this topic