LS Mail megathread

Mahitto

Considering its young age, there are many ways to improve LS Mail. There are lots of suggestions, some on this forum, most spread around various topics, conversations and Discord channels. I thought about putting together a "megathread" so that it's easier for the developers and community to check them out. If you have any other suggestions, please reply and I'll switfly drop them in. I'll also be checking out the forums and updating the topic (and the label below) every now and then. Most of these suggestions are simple and straight-forward, so there's no need for further explaining. If I can find the original author, I will link the thread and credit them, of course. 

LAST UPDATE: 12/JAN/2022

Suggestions:

• Add dark mode
  • Add more email providers
    • Give factions and businesses the ability to have a custom "domain".
  • Add a shortcut to the email on the UCP; it could also let you link an account and log right into it upon clicking the button - @Natala
  • Add in-game notifications when receiving an email, like the phone ones - @Natala, @Paenymion
  • The ability to add and embed images that are are hosted elsewhere (imgur)
  • The ability to attach files (visually, not functionally) that are hosted elsewhere.
  • Contact list - @Natala
  • Group emails
  • /email - open it up in-game without going in the phone and exiting current animation - @Paenymion
  • Auto-login and a Google-like way to keep multiple accounts "logged in" (remembered) and easily switch - @Vash Baldeus
  • Ads - business could buy ad space with WP and post IC advertisements (in a non-intrusive manner)
  • A way or system to recover lost accounts/passwords (maybe by linking them to the UCP?)
  • Keep logged in, especially in-game - also, auto-log in on each character that has an email account
  • Change profile picture - @Stephen
  • Junk/Spam emails (+ option to mark as spam) - @bricksbricksbricks
  • Block emails - @bricksbricksbricks
  • Folders - @orca112
  • Filter - @orca112
  • Drafts (+ auto-saving every X seconds) - @Jorgensen
  • Priority/Important tags to mark emails - @Jorgensen
  • Signatures (like the Gmail ones - templates that auto-apply at the end of each email if toggled) - @Jorgensen
  • Auto-replies (for when you're unavailale, on vacation, or for noreply addresses that business might set up) - @Jorgensen
  • More styling options

GENERAL CREDITS: @Natala@Vash Baldeus@Paenymion@Mahitto@bricksbricksbricks@orca112@Jorgensen

Some of the suggestions were made by multiple people or were general consensus, some of them were partly improved by specific people, hence the separate general credits list.

Edited by Mahitto
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Mahitto changed the title to LS Mail megathread
14 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Suggestions:

• Add dark mode
  • Add more email providers
    • Give factions and businesses the ability to have a custom "domain".
  • Add a shortcut to the email on the UCP; it could also let you link an account and log right into it upon clicking the button - @Natala
  • Add in-game notifications when receiving an email, like the phone ones - @Natala, @Paenymion
  • The ability to add and embed images
  • The ability to attach files up to a certain size.
  • Contact list - @Natala
  • Group emails
  • /email - open it up in-game without going in the phone and exiting current animation - @Paenymion
  • Auto-login and a Google-like way to keep multiple accounts "logged in" (remembered) and easily switch - @Vash Baldeus
  • Ads - business could buy ad space with WP and post IC advertisements (in a non-intrusive manner)
  • A way or system to recover lost accounts/passwords (maybe by linking them to the UCP?)
  • Keep logged in, especially in-game - also, auto-log in on each character that has an email account.

The ones I marked Red, are honestly gonna be the problem, because they will require space, and imagine people begin using the email system way more heavily than right now? The hosting server will be filled with random things & files. I'd say allow embedding images that are hosted elsewhere (i.e. Imgur), regarding files? same thing applies, allow embedding links for hosted elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

The ones I marked Red, are honestly gonna be the problem, because they will require space, and imagine people begin using the email system way more heavily than right now? The hosting server will be filled with random things & files. I'd say allow embedding images that are hosted elsewhere (i.e. Imgur), regarding files? same thing applies, allow embedding links for hosted elsewhere.

Good thinking, yeah. I've added that. 

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

This would conflict significantly with email harvesting and bulking.

I mean, both happen in real life so they'd probably work.

I imagine that ads would be more commonplace, since if mass emails were the norm, people would just stop using the site entirely?

22 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I mean, both happen in real life so they'd probably work.

I imagine that ads would be more commonplace, since if mass emails were the norm, people would just stop using the site entirely?

I meant more in regards to the meta. If people get to purchase spam/junk mail via WP it would only make sense for Nervous to restrict that feature for himself only. Thus entirely cutting out any possibility for harvesting or bulking emails, and all the roleplay and money that could be made with it. 

I'm not sure if factions should get custom domains.

I'd love to see the LS Mail website being used universally around the server, but it would change a lot on how legal factions communicate since they already have "private messages" on their forums.

6 hours ago, TommyX said:

I'm not sure if factions should get custom domains.

I'd love to see the LS Mail website being used universally around the server, but it would change a lot on how legal factions communicate since they already have "private messages" on their forums.

That's true, which is why the email should be set as a standard for emails and otherwise disallow using forum PMs to act as email, just like we don't allow in-game PMs to act as other stuff.

I don't mean actual domains by that (since as far as I can tell, lsmail is not an actual email client), but rather the text after the @ to not be lsmail. Most businesses use official email addresses in real life, and if you ever get an email from [email protected], well. Same for factions. It'd simply be a text to replace lsmail, as in [email protected] or [email protected] or whatever.

you can already sort of have a custom domaim.. it just needs to end with ls.mail, so you can do [email protected]

I would like the notification to be permanent on the screen and also have a sound. aka if I have 5 unread messages I want it to display 5 on the screen.

junk mail, ability to add a sender as junk 
block email

don't involve any WP into this or it will be sh*t, I can stay with forum pms or discord then, right now it's much stronger anyway, but ingame > all (if its improved)