Was Paleto Bay a good idea?

Aquila

Paleto Bay - hot, or not?  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Cobra said:

Mhm yes agreed! It needs the main scripting that Los Santos has, so that players have that variety and reason to be in Paleto Bay. (I understand it takes time to script all these features, that's okay - patience is a virtue.)

Some will stay in Mirror Park, some will stay in Paleto Bay, some will stay in Vespucci...etc. because these different areas represent different character's role-play stories. 

Exactly!

49 minutes ago, Genny said:

@Aquila What would happen to LSCS if Paleto Bay was removed? What about the other businesses that started or moved to Paleto Bay?.... 

[Continued]

...The main reason we'd ever really be in the city is when the LSPD requires back-up to foot/vehicle pursuits, shootouts, panic alarms or just not enough LSPD on-duty at the time, etc. We may be two different factions but in-character, we both have the same goal in mind and that's to protect and serve. So, in conclusion, I think we can all agree that in the future when the playerbase increases, it'll improve with it. In this case, I believe that time is key.

Right. I've seen LSCS in the city quite a bit, especially at night, when LSPD numbers are lower because it makes sense for the county police to assist local police as both are there to maintain order and law. If you look at the real life Los Angeles (County) Sheriff Department they're often patrolling and responding in other city police departments areas due to low numbers (Santa Monica, Pasadena, Manhattan Beach...etc.) and even Los Angeles City PD - I've seen this myself in Los Angeles (particularly in Downtown LA where there is county property).

If more scripted jobs and businesses were added to Paleto Bay, more players would come and do things, which would mean more Sheriffs would be seen in Paleto Bay (logic of life - more people = more cops).

Right now there are a few businesses and people in Paleto Bay, and that's just the start of something that could be really great. Would be a shame to remove it now. 

Edited by Cobra

Leaving Paleto where it's at, in my opinion, is going to be the best option. The LSCS has been created, let's leave them where they are at. People will catch on sooner and later and start heading out that way. Right now, there's just not enough RP that occurs there or people that care to stay there. Do you remember back on LS-RP how when you were in the county and the SD would pull you over for just driving through? That's how Paleto is at the moment. The CS doesn't see anyone out there so they run to the city. I promise you when people start moving more into the county (which may I add, this is where most of the crime takes place. Yes I see you) the CS will stay more out in the county than in the city. Let's not be discouraged by the first few weeks/month of Paleto being open. I can promise you that Hemma and Genny are doing a great job with it.

15 hours ago, Adero said:

There're a few things you'll have to take into consideration when you talk about Paleto Bay.

When it was originally planned, they expected to see a fair amount of players to move there and they were right - houses and businesses were bought immediately, players actually went there and wanted to roleplay there. However, a few issues occurred and at the current time, there's not one thing that needs to be done for the area to make it attractive to the public again. First, there was the hunting license not being implemented on time by the County Sheriffs and that was a drawback for a lot of players, considering that during the first week there were like 15-20 applications denied upon being sent because the laws were not yet implemented and it was not yet possible to enforce the said licenses. Then we have the hunting job itself going nuts, animals are synced, but sometimes their carcass can't be picked up, rendering the job almost useless and to be honest - even the mechanics made more money with their $200 garage fees compared to the current hunting job and the animals issues.

Currently, the area contains a few businesses, including a bar, 24/7 and clothing store with the last not even marked on the map. I believe that the area will be attractive again and once the hunting job is back up running properly I expect to see some people come back to the area. Perhaps there will be more businesses added as well, such as rent-a-car, one of the dealerships maybe should be moved there as well. I'd love to see the boat dealership reallocated to there as the current one is actually teleporting you to the boat spawn location instead of being moved.

Even when hunting was somewhat functioning, people got bored of it pretty quick. I, myself, don't even bother with it. I gave up not because of the bugs, but because it was just effort with little to no enjoyment.

I don't think businesses can really save Paleto Bay. People are more concerned with easy access rather than environment. It's the same reason why people live in Mirror Park - the houses are terrible compared to what the rest of the city has to offer, but people will choose any Mirror Park house as their residence purely because they have easy access to the plaza.

For me, there is no benefit nor attraction to stick around in Paleto Bay. The ongoing issue is that creating a hotspot is a collective responsibility, and can't be done by one person, or even a handful of people.

15 hours ago, SolenopsisΔ said:

Paleto was a good idea, but the way people hyped it up too much and rushed towards it is what killed it.

I don't know if there was much of a hype for it at all. Paleto Bay wasn't discussed - it was announced, and people got excited by hunting, but it turned out to not be anything that fascinating.

15 hours ago, Lance said:

What do you mean by not keeping Paleto alive? Do you mean that jobs/SD and other businesses such as clothing/tattoo etc should be removed?

LSCS shouldn't be removed, because let's be honest, they are pretty damn cool.

I just feel that there should be more of a focus on Los Santos as a whole. Paleto Bay was not a wise choice in the long run, imo. I don't mean to just poo all over Nervous's plans but in hindsight, Paleto Bay simply was not feasible as the area is pretty irrelevant on the map.

13 hours ago, Rensai said:

I personally think Paleto can still succeed, it just needs a little scripted push. Needs a closer 24/7, a clothing shop actually marked on the map, and definitely a car rental. I'd also personally like to see a closer sellfish location, so that people can use that lovely fishing spot west of Paleto. This is my opinion of how to improve Paleto from someone who has a character that lives there.

I still don't think any of that will really change anything. It's worth a try, I suppose, but as people say: "you don't need a script to RP/have fun". If this is true, then Paleto Bay would be popular, but it isn't.

12 hours ago, Katashi Mishi said:

Paleto Bay will be an awesome ideia but just for when we reach 200-300 averages players on the server. For now, and according to our average players number I think Los Santos is the main councerne. However I congratulate whoever started to script and invest in Paleto, because it will definetly be a very resoursable and potential area in the future but we should put our efforts for now to expand the city of Los Santos.

I'm torn between removing it as a whole, or just keep it and focus on adding more attractions to Los Santos. 

11 hours ago, Genny said:

I briefly read most of the responses but I figured I'd leave my input here too. It's way too early to make any decisions about Paleto Bay. I didn't love the idea at first but I learned to love it because a lot of people do love their countryside and Paleto Bay is the place for it. I mean, where else can you get it? Sandy Shores is the lower-classed countryside while Paleto Bay is for the middle-class. I've seen plenty of people drive through and stick around for roleplay. It isn't that hard to find unless you're online when no one else is online. I didn't realize how many people roleplayed as country lovers until then. If we want to allow Vespucci for the beach lovers (middle/high class), Vinewood for the high class, Mirror Park for the typical middle-class and Rancho/Davis for the lower-class. Paleto Bay is really there for the diversity and that's something to love about this server.

I think Paleto Bay needs the clothing store icon added to the map because it is there but a lot of people don't know that. It needs the main script-wise features like the car rentals and such. I liked the idea of a selling fish point being closer since that drive must be hectic. Besides that, it's the people that bring the roleplay to the area and I absolutely adore it whenever I see it. A lot of people don't like the drive, but I personally do because it gives me time to enjoy the scenery and feel like you're really getting away from the city. It's something that reminds me of real life because it takes me a while of driving through to get to my cabin and it's quite relaxing. I also crash far less than I ever did compare to being in the city which is a plus for me.

@Aquila What would happen to LSCS if Paleto Bay was removed? What about the other businesses that started or moved to Paleto Bay? Like, you can't just take it all away from the people that worked so hard to make it happen. We're all still trying to make it better and there's always progress. I don't think it's fair to give the community something they wanted and take it away not even a month later.

The main reason we'd ever really be in the city is when the LSPD requires back-up to foot/vehicle pursuits, shootouts, panic alarms or just not enough LSPD on-duty at the time, etc. We may be two different factions but in-character, we both have the same goal in mind and that's to protect and serve. So, in conclusion, I think we can all agree that in the future when the playerbase increases, it'll improve with it. In this case, I believe that time is key.

I rarely crash in either Los Santos or Blaine County, personally. 

I'm just sceptical about the future of Paleto Bay. Sure, it's nice to get away from the city, but then again there isn't really much happening in the city to begin with. Los Santos as a whole is relatively quiet, especially when you compare it to another (voice) roleplay server that has maybe 15-20+ players more than ours on average.

The only way Paleto Bay could be feasible is if the community was proportionally divided between those who live in the countryside, and those who live in the city. I guess you could see it as two independent states. But sadly it doesn't work that way on the server.

I wouldn't want LSCS removed personally. I've only ever had good experiences with the faction and can't really argue against them. Businesses can always be refunded, right? Some business owners have even accepted that it isn't profitable to open a business in Paleto Bay. 

I haven't heard anything about Paleto Bay. Nervous asked me about it, and I assume he asked others, but that's really it. There was no public discussion as far as I'm aware, so it just seemed like a surprise move.

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

Right. Perhaps we can introduce more open-air role-play to somewhere like Paleto Bay. If we think about it, it's a rural town supported by farming and the cargo trains/trucks. This could perhaps mean a market-place. Perhaps we can map a few of the market stalls to the Paleto Bay market (that open parking lot opposite the Sheriff station.)

And allow players to buy a stall for a very small amount of money - this means poorer players would be able to afford a business, make money from it and role-play in an exterior environment. Further more market towns in real life are known for selling items you may not be able to find else where, so perhaps we could script in a few different items that aren't found in Los Santos businesses that are beneficial to the player, and might attract them to come up to Paleto Bay. 

Just one of a few ideas that could make Paleto Bay unique.

Sandy Shores is mapped as a run down town by Rockstar for a purpose, so if even if we tried to hype it up it'd still be for the lower-class and criminals and not to mention wouldn't feature much (most Sandy Shores businesses are bust). It's the typical 50s resort town that failed and is now a hive for rednecks and meth dealers. 

We should of course cater for every role-play class there is, so perhaps we could introduce related scripts to Sandy Shores. 

Overall though as others have pointed out - Paleto Bay only came out a month ago, and it's a campaign for a much larger picture - one that envisions the future where we have more players and a more varied role-play base. With more players we're naturally going to have a split where some prefer to be in the rural areas as oppose to the city. 

I'm sure the developers are going to add more to Paleto Bay in the future, and add scripts that are unique to the town. (I'm hyped about trucking to be fair).

I understand where you're coming from and you've got good points, but I still don't think it's a beneficial idea. I can see Paleto Bay thriving if the server was based entirely in Blaine County, which could work given the population. 

The fact of the matter is that Paleto Bay's too far from everywhere else, and it's effort to keep travelling back and forth because of reasons stated in original post.

10 hours ago, Cobra said:

Right. I've seen LSCS in the city quite a bit, especially at night, when LSPD numbers are lower because it makes sense for the county police to assist local police as both are there to maintain order and law. If you look at the real life Los Angeles (County) Sheriff Department they're often patrolling and responding in other city police departments areas due to low numbers (Santa Monica, Pasadena, Manhattan Beach...etc.) and even Los Angeles City PD - I've seen this myself in Los Angeles (particularly in Downtown LA where there is county property).

If more scripted jobs and businesses were added to Paleto Bay, more players would come and do things, which would mean more Sheriffs would be seen in Paleto Bay (logic of life - more people = more cops).

Right now there are a few businesses and people in Paleto Bay, and that's just the start of something that could be really great. Would be a shame to remove it now. 

I suppose you're right, but even then, scripted jobs rarely ever lead to roleplay. I mean think about how many people used to mine at the end of last year compared to now. 

When I joined the server, nearly everyone was mining. Now I only see a few occasionally, in comparison. Scripted jobs eventually die out or become rare, and they never really have an impact on roleplay. I assume that you would agree that scripted jobs do make an area feel more lively. But I still think that it's not going to achieve the aim of making Paleto Bay popular as expected.

I almost forgot to add something else to this quote. LSPD should be divided into precincts or something, to patrol the areas that have a PD station nearby.

10 hours ago, Bek said:

I tried to raise the population in Paleto by opening a bar and my liquor store. I didn't find it interesting due to only 4-5 guys came and left after 5 minutes.

@Genny this is the comment I'm talking about above.

8 hours ago, Kota said:

Leaving Paleto where it's at, in my opinion, is going to be the best option. The LSCS has been created, let's leave them where they are at. People will catch on sooner and later and start heading out that way. Right now, there's just not enough RP that occurs there or people that care to stay there. Do you remember back on LS-RP how when you were in the county and the SD would pull you over for just driving through? That's how Paleto is at the moment. The CS doesn't see anyone out there so they run to the city. I promise you when people start moving more into the county (which may I add, this is where most of the crime takes place. Yes I see you) the CS will stay more out in the county than in the city. Let's not be discouraged by the first few weeks/month of Paleto being open. I can promise you that Hemma and Genny are doing a great job with it.

LSCS is a good faction, but I see more of them in LS (even though it is in their name). I have no problem with LSCS in LS patrolling alongside LSPD, but I do feel that them being in LS more than in PB can be problematic for activity in PB. I understand that there's no use in patrolling an area that has nobody in it, but it is problematic nonetheless.

I also feel that a lot of crime happens in rural parts because of the lack of regular patrols. I see some deputies driving around when I pass by PB, but rarely any non-cops. I wouldn't blame them if they're bored. 

I also never see LSPD there, at all. I sold my house in PB because I never use it, and it just seems to not be worth it for me. Could be different later, who knows? But for now I still feel that the rest of LS should be scripted, because the player base is most certainly not ready to be divided yet.

I think if we happen to remove Paleto, SD should also be removed and transfered to LSPD, no use in removing activity from an area and keeping a whole faction there because "they're cool". Someone thinks Paleto is cool so we shouldn't remove it in the first place. 

I like Paleto and don't really see the use in removing it, especially if people barely go there anyway. Yes it feels like it failed, but let it just sit there and let those 10 players RP there if they wish. 

And if you don't want people to RP in interiors, don't want Paleto to be active area, don't want MP to be that active, what should people do? 

Edited by Lance

I personally like the SD.  I also think Paleto is too far away from the "must haves".  If additional script support were to be implemented in the county, I'd love to see it and would welcome it.  But living and Paleto and working in the city just doesn't make sense, unless of course, you have a helicopter.

• Upvote 1

@Aquila Don't remove it! It took a lot of work to script and a lot of players have already spent good amounts of cash on those areas. Let it stay like it is, but focus more on Los Santos for now since it's the main area and we still don't have enough players to leave this area for now. In the future we could think again on Paleto Bay. But then again, congratulation for all the hard work.