Was Paleto Bay a good idea?

Aquila

Paleto Bay - hot, or not?  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

Paleto Bay needs a bit of everything LS has; several vehicle dealerships (There are ideal buildings in Paleto Bay), a rent vehicle, mask shop, a 24/7 actually in the town, marked icons for the clothes store and tattoo parlour and scripted jobs. Not to mention something Los Santos doesn't have, which would force people to go to Paleto Bay; perhaps something unique to the rural culture of the town. 

If these were all placed on Main Street (or w/e it's called down the middle) like Mirror Park has, a few more folk would hang out there. Especially those of us who live in Paleto Bay but find ourselves having to drive all the way to Los Santos every-time we want to do something. 

I'm still all for the ideal personally! I'm hoping more is implemented in the future. :) 

One issue I want to bring up is that even if somehow Paleto Bay becomes popular again, the chances are that people are going to continue doing interior RP, which makes it no different from Los Santos as a whole.

At this point, I'd much rather see Sandy Shores populated more than Paleto Bay, simply because even with more scripted businesses and such, it isn't going to be much of a hotspot for a lot. Running a business in Paleto Bay is very risky, unless you've got a strong, active sub-community dwelling there who will go to the clubs, bars, and stores there. In reality, there are always IC events happening in Los Santos, so people living in Paleto Bay are going to need to travel 6+ miles (which doesn't seem like a lot, but it's effort on GTA V) to drive back to Los Santos. Furthermore, people in Los Santos may not want to travel all the way to Paleto Bay.

The sad thing is that business owners don't discriminate on who enters their establishments. They just want as many people coming as possible. Usually if 5 people come to their club, it's considered a failure or a slow night, so in turn they'd see that the business isn't profitable.

5 hours ago, Portz said:

It's great.

Explain your reasons why.

2 hours ago, Topinambour said:

I haven't seen many people "RP Rural" really, apart from a very select few who are... well, a very select few. Creating an artificial "PALETO BAY HYPE!" is the mistake every server makes at some point. I'm not sure why. I'm not against Paleto being scripted, mind you: I even think it should be, in order to offer options. However I'm not sure there should have been such a hype campaign around it, since now we got people who bought businesses there that are awfully unprofitable, and they feel like they really got scammed hardcore. :p 

But it's always the same thing on every server. A group of players goes like "I wanna RP rural! It's awesome!". Admins go "FUCK YEAH PALETO BAY!!!" and for a couple of weeks there's some activity there, and it ends up dying down until the town's empty.

PaletoExpectationsReality.thumb.png.666d2abacee1a8184f6ca8cdf8789d70.png

Nervous and I were talking about Paleto Bay before. He showed me the area, and it seemed feasible at the time but I assumed there would be more to do, or it's just a job hub with a logging job, or something. 

I know that there were people who wanted Sandy Shores back for rural RP. There are still people actually roleplaying there occasionally, albeit they're roleplaying kidnappings or whatever.

The issue I feel is that when a change is made on the server, in terms of expansion or centralisation, it's done to the extreme. We've seen this through getting rid of Sandy Shores and centralising to Los Santos - instead of centralising to the city, it was centralised to Mirror Park. Expansion was the same problem, as we didn't expand to Sandy Shores again, but instead it was Paleto Bay. On the other side of the map. It's a good idea on paper, but it didn't work out in practice. There are obviously going to be people who argue that it is active, but I've seen nobody. I've only seen cars parked outside of houses, so I assume people are inside interiors, which really makes the "it's active" argument weaker.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I like Paleto, it pretty much failed, but it's still a nice place to visit. One thing though, Sheriff Dept is just another LSPD, because I see tonns of County Sheriff cars in LS and don't see them often enough in Paleto. I feel like it's still possible to keep it alive it had map markers, more places like mask shop, vehicle DS etc and more players on the server, if we had 150 players, having some of them in Paleto would be great.

I like LSCS. I've met more people from that faction who interact with civilians as friendly cops than in LSPD. The differences are noticeable upon interaction with both factions, though I'm talking about my own experiences, and from what I've heard too.

You're somewhat right in saying that they're another LSPD in that sense. They're in Los Santos a lot, which makes Paleto Bay completely empty. I don't blame LSCS for not patrolling around Blaine, because it is pretty much barren. 

I see no use in keeping Paleto Bay alive when Los Santos isn't even fully developed. It just didn't make sense to me to skip 3/4 of LS to expand out to the northwest of the map.

1 hour ago, Atiku said:

I don't think whether it succeeded or failed will be able to be properly decided until we see how the trucker job works and fits in with Paleto Bay. It's not really worked out very well so far, but it's worth seeing the impact one of the main causes for Paleto Bay to occur to be implented before we make full judgments about it.

I suppose you're right, but the hype was there for hunting too. Trucking isn't exactly going to add much in terms of roleplay activity in Paleto Bay, considering it's going to be a scripted job.

1 hour ago, Notbond said:

This is a very good point, Paleto Bay is one step in a wider plan. Additionally, there was need to spread the player base out due to quite a few crash/fps drop issues we were having. These seemed to have reduced for a few reasons, one being GTMP improvements but I feel Paleto Bay played a part as well. 

This is too early to judge, it hasn't even been a month since the update was deployed. 

The player base needed to be spread out because a lot of people were based in Mirror Park. Expanding out to the other side of the map was unnecessary, and the simplest solution would've been to expand into Los Santos more. Most of LS isn't even developed, I mean there aren't even any ATMs in south LS at all.

If the player base really needed to be spread out more, it could've easily been done by focusing entirely on LS instead of outside the county. Anything north of LS county should've been at the bottom of the priority list until the server reaches a stable and high number of players.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Portz said:

I don't believe Paleto Bay played any part in the improvements in crash/fps drops. Los Santos in my opinion (may not be yours) is big enough to house 200 players at once. Yeah, I don't reckon 200 players in South Los Santos would be healthy. But across the whole city, I reckon Los Santos would be big enough to accommodate. Don't ya reckon?

This links in to what I was saying about focusing on, and developing, Los Santos as a whole. Containing everyone in Mirror Park was a huge mistake, as it's like fitting multiple conflicting groups into one tiny island. At the time when Sandy Shores was removed, all the other businesses in Los Santos were also removed, so people had no choice but to turn to a land grab for Mirror Park. Re-adding a lot of businesses in Los Santos has spread out the player base more, I mean I see more people in south LS now than I did a few months back.

Los Santos is definitely big enough to accommodate twice our player base. It should just get more improvements, and reasons to create new sub-hotspots.

There're a few things you'll have to take into consideration when you talk about Paleto Bay.

When it was originally planned, they expected to see a fair amount of players to move there and they were right - houses and businesses were bought immediately, players actually went there and wanted to roleplay there. However, a few issues occurred and at the current time, there's not one thing that needs to be done for the area to make it attractive to the public again. First, there was the hunting license not being implemented on time by the County Sheriffs and that was a drawback for a lot of players, considering that during the first week there were like 15-20 applications denied upon being sent because the laws were not yet implemented and it was not yet possible to enforce the said licenses. Then we have the hunting job itself going nuts, animals are synced, but sometimes their carcass can't be picked up, rendering the job almost useless and to be honest - even the mechanics made more money with their $200 garage fees compared to the current hunting job and the animals issues.

Currently, the area contains a few businesses, including a bar, 24/7 and clothing store with the last not even marked on the map. I believe that the area will be attractive again and once the hunting job is back up running properly I expect to see some people come back to the area. Perhaps there will be more businesses added as well, such as rent-a-car, one of the dealerships maybe should be moved there as well. I'd love to see the boat dealership reallocated to there as the current one is actually teleporting you to the boat spawn location instead of being moved.

21 minutes ago, Portz said:

I don't believe Paleto Bay played any part in the improvements in crash/fps drops.

I, as an IC park ranger spend loads of time in the area and around the ore extraction sites feel that the crashes are so less frequent compared to if I am in Los Santos. Every time I am in Los Santos I crash, there's rarely a time I do not, while when I am out there, far from the city I may crash once per 3-4 hours and I experience smooth gameplay, no random 1 FPS drops that I usually experience in the city area and to be honest - I enter the city maybe once or twice a day at best, when I have to bring a vehicle to the PD's Impound Lot and I get crashes almost every time.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I like Paleto, it pretty much failed, but it's still a nice place to visit. One thing though, Sheriff Dept is just another LSPD, because I see tons of County Sheriff cars in LS and don't see them often enough in Paleto.

Thing is - they have to be there to assist PD because crimes happen there the most and not as often in the county area.

Also, you can't expect there to be cruisers at all times in Paleto Bay, considering that the LSCS covers the whole county area. There're players who patrol the highways and sandy shores, others patrol other areas and then there're players in the area of Los Santos. If you need an example from real life - then check the Sheriff Department that is in the LA area, they're inside the city as well, it's not something uncommon, nor is it forbidden.

33 minutes ago, Aquila said:

I see no use in keeping Paleto Bay alive when Los Santos isn't even fully developed.

What do you mean by not keeping Paleto alive? Do you mean that jobs/SD and other businesses such as clothing/tattoo etc should be removed?

I personally think Paleto can still succeed, it just needs a little scripted push. Needs a closer 24/7, a clothing shop actually marked on the map, and definitely a car rental. I'd also personally like to see a closer sellfish location, so that people can use that lovely fishing spot west of Paleto. This is my opinion of how to improve Paleto from someone who has a character that lives there.

• Upvote 1

Paleto Bay will be an awesome ideia but just for when we reach 200-300 averages players on the server. For now, and according to our average players number I think Los Santos is the main councerne. However I congratulate whoever started to script and invest in Paleto, because it will definetly be a very resoursable and potential area in the future but we should put our efforts for now to expand the city of Los Santos.

I briefly read most of the responses but I figured I'd leave my input here too. It's way too early to make any decisions about Paleto Bay. I didn't love the idea at first but I learned to love it because a lot of people do love their countryside and Paleto Bay is the place for it. I mean, where else can you get it? Sandy Shores is the lower-classed countryside while Paleto Bay is for the middle-class. I've seen plenty of people drive through and stick around for roleplay. It isn't that hard to find unless you're online when no one else is online. I didn't realize how many people roleplayed as country lovers until then. If we want to allow Vespucci for the beach lovers (middle/high class), Vinewood for the high class, Mirror Park for the typical middle-class and Rancho/Davis for the lower-class. Paleto Bay is really there for the diversity and that's something to love about this server.

I think Paleto Bay needs the clothing store icon added to the map because it is there but a lot of people don't know that. It needs the main script-wise features like the car rentals and such. I liked the idea of a selling fish point being closer since that drive must be hectic. Besides that, it's the people that bring the roleplay to the area and I absolutely adore it whenever I see it. A lot of people don't like the drive, but I personally do because it gives me time to enjoy the scenery and feel like you're really getting away from the city. It's something that reminds me of real life because it takes me a while of driving through to get to my cabin and it's quite relaxing. I also crash far less than I ever did compare to being in the city which is a plus for me.

@Aquila What would happen to LSCS if Paleto Bay was removed? What about the other businesses that started or moved to Paleto Bay? Like, you can't just take it all away from the people that worked so hard to make it happen. We're all still trying to make it better and there's always progress. I don't think it's fair to give the community something they wanted and take it away not even a month later.

@Adero The Los Santos County Sheriff's basically started with three people being myself, HemmaX and Eren. I had taken on the administrative side so with that being said, I prioritized recruitment before licensing so I apologize for the delay in it being implemented but it wasn't possible at first anyway. When hunting was first implemented, there were many more bugs, it wasn't illegal to hunt without a license and there was no access to the MDC yet. There are still some bugs (like picking up the carcass) but I applaud the developers for the idea and having it implemented to allow another roleplay opportunity for those who are hunters and enjoy the countryside.

The main reason we'd ever really be in the city is when the LSPD requires back-up to foot/vehicle pursuits, shootouts, panic alarms or just not enough LSPD on-duty at the time, etc. We may be two different factions but in-character, we both have the same goal in mind and that's to protect and serve. So, in conclusion, I think we can all agree that in the future when the playerbase increases, it'll improve with it. In this case, I believe that time is key.

Edited by Genny
5 hours ago, Aquila said:

One issue I want to bring up is that even if somehow Paleto Bay becomes popular again, the chances are that people are going to continue doing interior RP, which makes it no different from Los Santos as a whole.

Right. Perhaps we can introduce more open-air role-play to somewhere like Paleto Bay. If we think about it, it's a rural town supported by farming and the cargo trains/trucks. This could perhaps mean a market-place. Perhaps we can map a few of the market stalls to the Paleto Bay market (that open parking lot opposite the Sheriff station.)

And allow players to buy a stall for a very small amount of money - this means poorer players would be able to afford a business, make money from it and role-play in an exterior environment. Further more market towns in real life are known for selling items you may not be able to find else where, so perhaps we could script in a few different items that aren't found in Los Santos businesses that are beneficial to the player, and might attract them to come up to Paleto Bay. 

Just one of a few ideas that could make Paleto Bay unique.

Sandy Shores is mapped as a run down town by Rockstar for a purpose, so if even if we tried to hype it up it'd still be for the lower-class and criminals and not to mention wouldn't feature much (most Sandy Shores businesses are bust). It's the typical 50s resort town that failed and is now a hive for rednecks and meth dealers. 

We should of course cater for every role-play class there is, so perhaps we could introduce related scripts to Sandy Shores. 

Overall though as others have pointed out - Paleto Bay only came out a month ago, and it's a campaign for a much larger picture - one that envisions the future where we have more players and a more varied role-play base. With more players we're naturally going to have a split where some prefer to be in the rural areas as oppose to the city. 

I'm sure the developers are going to add more to Paleto Bay in the future, and add scripts that are unique to the town. (I'm hyped about trucking to be fair).

Edited by Cobra
23 minutes ago, Genny said:

I didn't realize how many people roleplayed as country lovers until then. If we want to allow Vespucci for the beach lovers (middle/high class), Vinewood for the high class, Mirror Park for the typical middle-class and Rancho/Davis for the lower-class. Paleto Bay is really there for the diversity and that's something to love about this server.

I think Paleto Bay needs the clothing store icon added to the map because it is there but a lot of people don't know that. It needs the main script-wise features like the car rentals and such... [CONTINUED]

Mhm yes agreed! It needs the main scripting that Los Santos has, so that players have that variety and reason to be in Paleto Bay. (I understand it takes time to script all these features, that's okay - patience is a virtue.)

Some will stay in Mirror Park, some will stay in Paleto Bay, some will stay in Vespucci...etc. because these different areas represent different character's role-play stories.