Surrealism

Copa Cabana

40 minutes ago, Goonbag said:

So it hasn’t been happening to you, you’re just hearing stories? Why are you acting as if it’s so common that your character would no longer react to it, but you cite anecdotal evidence from other people. I’ll tell you why - BECAUSE THIS NON-ISSUE IS GREATLY OVER EXAGGERATED. 

Its not over exaggeration. My characters have been subjected to several robberies, having friends kidnapped and ckd. How many time were you robbed irl and how did it impact you? In the game I have the luxury of roleplaying through such situation, but not adding it to my character's mental issues.

Edited by Engelbert
2 minutes ago, Goonbag said:

So it hasn’t been happening to you, you’re just hearing stories? Why are you acting as if it’s so common that your character would no longer react to it, but you cite anecdotal evidence from other people. I’ll tell you why - BECAUSE THIS NON-ISSUE IS GREATLY OVER EXAGGERATED. 

I mean, my character complained to yours every now and then about being robbed. It wasn't daily, but there were weeks it happened twice, and days where she had to dodge two attempts and get chased around the city or all across the country. The first couple of robberies, sure, development. The ninth? I'm not counting the time she got shot or all the car thefts and murders she witnessed, just muggings and attempted muggings. If you're not aging up, having close to twenty of those in one IC year is hard to RP. Who would even live in LS anymore? It's why she doesn't. That and all her friends being dead.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, Goonbag said:

good to see i'm not alone, it seems like one in five comments in general discussions always come back to this robbery problem

when i started playing again mid last year (june to august), i put in a couple hours a day (sometimes three hours) as a taxi driver, and i got kidnapped once (skinhead rp) and was subject to a taxi robbery as well, a friend of mine also was victim to a taxi robbery, and another friend got kidnapped/robbed early server time while walking near rockford plus a voided taxi robbery

nowadays i don't have any real reason to play, so i've hopped on a few times on a new character, spent time walking around areas that i assume are unsafe (most of south ls, downtown vinewood then vespucci) while the server's at 600+, just to put it to the test since it seems to be the biggest complaint on the server and sounded like a fun experiment

i do this walk around several blocks, fully prepared to be robbed, looking vulnerable, and i just can't get anyone to rob me, people keep driving past, other pedestrians struck up conversations, but that's as far as it goes

it definitely happens but i'm starting to think it's either

• massively blown out of proportion as you said, maybe certain players are sensitive to the robberies and overreact to a single occurrence
  • players who complain are spending a massive amount of hours per day and more likely to be robbed
  • some immensely bad luck where these players are getting targeted more than the rest of us

might log in more and document what i find, it'll still be anecdotal but at least it will be more organised

• Upvote 2
16 hours ago, shaobadman said:

it definitely happens but i'm starting to think it's either

• massively blown out of proportion as you said, maybe certain players are sensitive to the robberies and overreact to a single occurrence
  • players who complain are spending a massive amount of hours per day and more likely to be robbed
  • some immensely bad luck where these players are getting targeted more than the rest of us

might log in more and document what i find, it'll still be anecdotal but at least it will be more organised

I'm looking forward to more of your findings.

I think you're still missing out on your explanations though.

• you might be spending time in the wrong areas, and/or at the wrong times
  • the new robbery rules are having a good effect
  • robberies happen often, but not often enough for you to be able to notice after trying for a few days, unless you're unlucky
2 hours ago, bwarp said:

there shouldn't be rules to dictate how a robbery is done anyway lol, what's IC is IC.

This will surely help!

You're happy to continue with the following?

• Copy paste generic roleplay line exiting a vehicle meaning anything the victim does is considered powergaming
  • Metagaming the victims inventory
  • Favela dirtbike scenes in the busiest places in the city
  • Buffalo (M) squads
  • Chain robbing
  • Making Mirror Park a no-go zone unless you always remain inside
  • Driving all the way into the county to farm actual roleplayers for their guns, as a pretend south central gangbanger, coincidentally not part of a faction
  • Kidnapping characters to strip search them because god forbid you don't get every single thing they have on them

Because just take it IC right? And you wonder why there's a topic about surrealism.

• Upvote 1
Just now, mj2002 said:

This will surely help!

• Copy paste generic roleplay line exiting a vehicle meaning anything the victim does is considered powergaming
  • Buffalo (M) squads
  • Chain robbing
  • Driving all the way into the county to farm actual roleplayers for their guns, as a pretend south central gangbanger, coincidentally not part of a faction
  • Kidnapping characters to strip search them because god forbid you don't get every single thing they have on them

Because just take it IC right? And you wonder why there's a topic about surrealism.

I will take it IC. Just lift off deathmatching rules and give me an aircraft carrier somewhere in the middle of the ocean with an armed jet and a helicopter. Then we coo'.

10 hours ago, mj2002 said:

This will surely help!

• Buffalo (M) squads
  • Chain robbing

1) seems like you’re referring to the rule where if they have a gun pointed at you then you have to throw your hands up in which case that’s a server issue and creating more rules doesn’t help.

2) what’s on you is on you, don’t want to lose it? don’t bring it outside

3) look up videos of Philli

4) admins should be enforcing sub par rpers that are robbing in buffalos and players who live lavish lifestyles are already looked down upon for robbing people, that point is moot

5) this is the reason you have police 

6) if mirror park is so bad why do you hang out there? IC issue

7) why would you commit a crime closer to your neighborhood so you can get caught? seems like they’re taking advantage of the fact SD would rather patrol the city at times again an IC issue 

8: people get kidnapped and stripped all the time, yet again another reason for the police

seems like you just have a problem losing and would rather the server enforce harder rules so you won’t lose as often 

the problem with the server isn’t surrealism it’s the fact civilian rpers fail to understand that these things happen and get offended OOC

Edited by bwarp
  • Wuhtah locked this topic