Surrealism

Copa Cabana

4 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Well I think you yourself have seen this occur on more than one occasion.

So we both know I'm not some pretend clairvoyant blowing it out my ass with these things. I just can't defend either sides, I can only speak for what I've seen, heard and done.

I can't be directing my accusations at criminals because I've barely done in depth criminal roleplay compared to the time spent in LEO factions throughout the years.

With that said I equally doubt anyone can see everything that's going on. So it's easier to defend something you've seen compared to something you have not.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying there are people who prefer 911 calls over pursuits. As you portrayed it it seems like all people do is pursuit pursuit pursuit. Which is not true at all. So I'm saying what I know, I've been roleplaying a LEO since 2017, I've also done illegal roleplay for about 8 months. 

It all comes down to preference, some people are here to play cops and robbers (both sides again) and some people genuinely prefer the more roleplay side of things.   

6 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying there are people who prefer 911 calls over pursuits. As you portrayed it it seems like all people do is pursuit pursuit pursuit. Which is not true at all. So I'm saying what I know, I've been roleplaying a LEO since 2017, I've also done illegal roleplay for about 8 months. 

It all comes down to preference, some people are here to play cops and robbers (both sides again) and some people genuinely prefer the more roleplay side of things.   

Agreed, I feel like the narrative that is being brought up right now is as if LEO factions revolve around this ''cops and robbers'' play-to-win mentality, which is simply not true at all. You have bad apples everywhere, it is inevitable in a community with a variety of people and differing mindsets. LEO factions and factions overall went through a very positive development and are still holding onto this progression, which is something that should be noted too every once in a while.

Edited by Piepstem
  • Upvote 1

You retards aren't talking about surrealism at all!

Surrealism is when you portray reality in a way that includes the realities of the subconcious. Criminals operating like the 1930's having shootouts is more like the reality portrayed in Marvel or Michael Bay movies and those still adhere to some sort of realism. Like they're not reasonable reflections of reality. But they're still realism as in they still have the focus of realism. What they're occupied with is the consequences and actions that take place in the concious world. They're focused on physical and visible consequences from physical and visible actions. 

Like it's not surrealism it's just unreasonable and action focused realism.

If things were too surrealistic you wouldn't see hundreads of shootouts with the cops like on the server you'd see shootouts within the inner reaches of the mind of the criminal in a way that blurs the line between the subconcious and concious. It'd be focused on actions taken in a context where it's unclear if what's happening is part of reality or part of a dream. 

If there was a problem with surrealism on the server it wouldn't be that there's too many shootouts and too much of things that are rare in reality. Too much surrealism in game would be like:

*John Guy grapples with his impulse to answer the ringing phone

/do The voice on the other line says my sister is pregnant 

/do the phone isn't plugged in.

John Guy says: Oh no, I left the stove on.

Then suddenly John Guy finds himself in a bathroom but the floor is made out of quicksand. Another character is in the corner but upside down and he's got the face of Adolf Hitler but the body of your mom.

And after all of that there'd be a shootout or whatever but the guns would look like penises and those shot would grow big pregnant bellies.

And after all of that:

*John Guy wakes up, unsure wheter what happened was real or not, he doesn't remember going to sleep.

That'd be surrealism if it was the entire server. It'd be kinda hard to do it with a lot of people though. You could do something surrealistic when describing your /me's and do's or whatever though and still have a character that behaves like a person in reality. 

They're not the complete opposite of eachother, you're kinda stupid if that's how you've understood the word "surreal".

You're still doing realism if your focus is on accurately portraying the physical details when you shoot a cop over a speeding ticket. Realism isn't the same thing as credible. The real world isn't "realistic". Shooting a cop unneccessarily and unreasonably is an unreasonable situation that doesn't happen as often in reality. But realism isn't reality it's just a style to use when depicting it. 

Edited by Cool_guy
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, goddessoflife said:

Unfortunately, the people whom I have called out for such heinous actions ruin the reputation of the rest. The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. As someone who's been repeatedly cut off for being the weakest link, I know that statement more than well.

I know it's not the most correct approach, but as someone that's been both called out and calling out over someone else's wrongdoings - it seems like the best chance there is to bring people to shed light on this issue.

Edited by Blackbird
  • Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Blackbird said:

Unfortunately, the people whom I have called out for such heinous actions ruin the reputation of the rest. The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. As someone who's been repeatedly cut off for being the weakest link, I know that statement more than well.

I know it's not the most correct approach, but as someone that's been both called out and calling out over someone else's wrongdoings - it seems like the best chance there is to bring people to shed light on this issue.

I understand where you are coming from. I believe that the entire ''correct approach'' does not lie in bringing issues up, but how they are brought up. From what I have seen, a lot of the criticism on LEO factions are most of the times not even criticism, just ranting that are far from principled and constructive.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Mahitto said:

I'm sure it does occur, but it's far from general practice. As @Storm pointed out, pursuits, shootings, barricaded suspects etc. are extremely, extremely boring and repetitive scenarios that lead to absolutely no character development. 911 calls, especially more various ones, are different.

This is very true, I’ve had the most benign 911 calls turn into the most interesting and impactful situations. Meanwhile, I’ve never experienced a pursuit or anything comparable as something other than just a couple of minutes of driving fast with an excuse or boomstonking people. Sure, it’s all part of the game and it’s fun. But I can recall most of my 911 calls, talk to be about pursuits and my memory is just a bland ball of unidentifiable grey matter. 

To be honest, I’m quite surprised no one here mentioned the fact that RICO cases are completely unheard of on this server. As someone who came over from LSRP, where they had a whole system in place concerning RICO cases, I was honestly really disappointed to find out that this wasn’t the case here. I’d really appreciate harder collective IC punishments for factions if they’re not careful enough. A whole faction shutdown case if there’s enough evidence on them and so forth.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Gecko said:

I expected to open the thread and read about people RPing melting clocks and checkered floors leading into nothingness.

I was thinking it was gonna be about doing RP by describing things in metaphors n shit. 

I think it'd be kinda neat if people would do things in a way that's just a little bit more surrealistic. Why things gotta be so literal all the time? It boring

Edited by Cool_guy
5 minutes ago, Cool_guy said:

I was thinking it was gonna be about doing RP by describing things in metaphors n shit. 

I think it'd be kinda neat if people would do things in a way that's just a little bit more surrealistic. Like actually in the way words like these describe shit like in more of a surrealistic style.  Why things gotta be so literal all the time? It boring

a few people including myself add surrealism to our roleplay but we keep it lowkey and within the group otherwise you'd get punished for being creative with your rp so be careful!

• Wuhtah locked this topic